‘Just as Planned’... The 2019 GW Predictions Thread...

JPjr

Currently I think 2019 is a predominately 40k year, with Vigilus shaping up, plus Blackstone Fortress proving popular, AoS will get 3 to 4 armies.

Popular choices include Grots, Slaanesh, some new aelf choice (my money's on flying aelves or shadow based teleporting aelves), Ogors are possible, but they'll need to have a seriously good theme in mind, Ricky's Suneaters might give them some ideas for fire-based Ogor tribes as a counter-point to the BeastClaw Riders.

Outside army concepts are Freepeople (they have some ideas there thanks to Nick Horth's work via Callis and Toll series), Dispossesed etc.

Skaven are likely heading to a Beasts of Chaos style release with few new miniatures and a way to link together the clans.

More I think about it, and the less actual evidence I have, I’m now 2000% sure Underworlds Season 3 will launch in autumn with a Slaanesh warband, and then the full army release will follow in Jan 2020 tied into a Vigilus style mega campaign that leads up to the god escaping and a war in Ulgu and the release of Malerion’s faction.

Utterly convinced and I won’t be swayed at least until I read some other spurious rumour somewhere about Clockwork Dwarves, Crystal Golems or Sylvaneth allied Water Spirits and completely deny all knowledge of the above.

3 hours ago, JPjr said:

More I think about it, and the less actual evidence I have, I’m now 2000% sure Underworlds Season 3 will launch in autumn with a Slaanesh warband, and then the full army release will follow in Jan 2020 tied into a Vigilus style mega campaign that leads up to the god escaping and a war in Ulgu and the release of Malerion’s faction.

Utterly convinced and I won’t be swayed at least until I read some other spurious rumour somewhere about Clockwork Dwarves, Crystal Golems or Sylvaneth allied Water Spirits and completely deny all knowledge of the above.

I'm feeling this way as well. Too much rumored this year for a huge release/ event like slaneesh. Tuck the leather chaps away until 2020!

Considering the size of Gloomspite gitz, and the current focus, I'd be pretty pumped if I was a Darkoath/ Slaves to Darkness lover!

• 10 months later...

Almost none of these predictions were right, skimming over them. Aside from the obvious thing (Gloomspite) I don't think my expectations from the start of the year were anywhere near accurate either.

It deserves highlighting though, how much of a rollercoaster the whole Dark Oath thing ended up being. From "4th Malign Portents hero, huge update!" to general doom and gloom, to "just warcry" to "maybe STD will get a release next year" to...now. In reality, Slaves to Darkness is arguably the biggest update of the year, taken as a whole. All of the Warcry stuff, including a bunch of monsters, the new SC, new STD tome, and probably a few things we don't know about yet.

Between Slaanesh and STD, this was the year of Chaos really.  One other big faction update (Gloomspite) one brand new army (Bone Reapers) and more armybooks then you can shake a stick at. I don't think anyone would have predicted all factions being covered by some kind of armybook by the end of 2019. Not to mention no new Stormcasts, even in Underworlds. (I don't personally count special edition characters)

I look forward to someone making the 2020 prediction thread so we can all be utterly wrong once again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Kirjava13 sadly the past 12 months haven’t really sen me level up my modelling skills, at all. Though thanks to being an impulsive idiot & GW’s marketing dept I have now started an Ogor army so who knows, there’s still a few weeks of the year left. 

it may all come together still...