Starting KO - Project 2019

Sarkazim

Pretty much what the title says.

My Shadowblades army is effectively dead, but I still like the game.  I decided to pick one of the newer armies and went with KO simply for the look of them and how fun they are going to be paint.  I've started collecting boxes, and I'm looking for anything I should be aware of or tips in building, etc.  I've gone and read all of the KO thread for some ideas, and with the new year coming up, I might be breaking these out of the boxes soon.

What I have so far:
Brokk
2 Aetherkhemists
2 Start Collecting
3 Arknaut Boxes
1 Frigate

I also have a Knight Incantor given to me, and didn't think I'd be needing him, but I see him on quite a few KO lists, so thought I'd mention that I own one.  I've got an idea of what I want to do with them playwise and have 2 lists roughed out, but not set in stone.  I'd appreciate any list advice or what I should look at getting next.  Also looking out for any building/conversion things I should be aware of.  ex. I see Skyhooks on most Arknaut lists, but I guess the box only comes with one?  Stuff like that or what guns I should give the boats, etc.

Thanks All!

• 4 weeks later...

So I just found out that my local GW store is doing an AoS Escalation league and I'm behind.  

It's only 500 points so I've decided to start with this:
Aether-Khemist 
10 x Arkanaut Company - 3 x Light Skyhooks
10 x Grundstok Thunderers - All Rifles
Total: 480 

Expanding up to 1k:
Knight-Incantor 
10 x Arkanaut Company - 3 x Aethermatic Volleyguns
3 x Endrinriggers 
Everblaze Comet 

-------
List tips aside, I'm planning on painting them with an Ulgu theme, and going with a darkness/moonlit paint scheme.  If anyone has any tips on how to do this I'd also appreciate it.

On 1/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, WatcherintheWater said:

That's a good batch of models! For the Arkanauts, you do unfortunately only get one of each weapon per box, but  the Endrinrigger/skywarden sprue also comes with skyhooks that are pretty easy to fit to the Arkanauts if you don't want them on your endrinriggers. I think the volleyguns aren't a bad option either.

Thanks.

I had my first 500 pt game with the above vs. Khorne and had a blast, literally.  The 10 Thunderers went to town on the enemy with the Khemist buff and their ability to retreat instead of attacking.  Never really got to buff the Skyhooks since they were the screen unit but over the 4 turns they maybe hit once or twice.  I originally went with the Aethermatics because of the 1 per box issue, but I’m now leaning toward just having one unit of Skyhooks with two supporting units.  Originally I intended to get 60 Arknauts in the long run, running 3x20 with each special weapon.  After seeing how the AC did in combat I’m not really seeing much benefit to the Melee option, so it’s good to know that I can use the Skyhooks from the Endrins.

It was my first 2.0 game and I learned a ton, and made a few mistakes.  I didn’t really play with any of the Barack rules because I had no idea of what the army did.  It seems the KO are a good army where choosing to go second could be a better option.  Admittedly, I Now think that choosing Mhornar for theme might be more my style anyways after reading what they do.  I can already see the problem with Command points in larger games where I’m going to have more units than I can buff, so I’m looking forward to tackling that.

The mistakes were mostly related to my opponent an I just finishing a game of 40k before.  So we didn’t do the Alternating turns, I forgot about being able to shoot in Combat and that I’m able to target Characters if they aren’t the closest.  I let him go first given the range on the guns and he left his Bloodsecrator out in the open behind all of his Warriors trying to manage the Battleshock aura.  He was a sitting duck for the Arknauts on T1 and I completely spaced that I could even shoot him.  I’m going to have to play around with going second more often I think, but we’ll see.

Not using the Mhornar bonuses was a HUGE oversight that won’t happen again, now that I’ve read it.  To be fair I wasn’t expecting to play as I had just finished assembling them, and was asking questions about 2.0.  The offer to play to answer my questions instead of trying to explain it just popped up.

That’s the best use of arkanauts, shooting critical heroes and monsters.

I agree on letting your opponent go first, but only if you are confident they can’t get a big turn one charge of blow you off the board with shooting/magic. KO die pretty fast if they don’t do whittle the opponent down first.

There definitely can be a lot to remember. I still forget at least one footnote half the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 5:08 PM, Sarkazim said:

Thanks.

I had my first 500 pt game with the above vs. Khorne and had a blast, literally.  The 10 Thunderers went to town on the enemy with the Khemist buff and their ability to retreat instead of attacking.  Never really got to buff the Skyhooks since they were the screen unit but over the 4 turns they maybe hit once or twice.  I originally went with the Aethermatics because of the 1 per box issue, but I’m now leaning toward just having one unit of Skyhooks with two supporting units.  Originally I intended to get 60 Arknauts in the long run, running 3x20 with each special weapon.  After seeing how the AC did in combat I’m not really seeing much benefit to the Melee option, so it’s good to know that I can use the Skyhooks from the Endrins.

It was my first 2.0 game and I learned a ton, and made a few mistakes.  I didn’t really play with any of the Barack rules because I had no idea of what the army did.  It seems the KO are a good army where choosing to go second could be a better option.  Admittedly, I Now think that choosing Mhornar for theme might be more my style anyways after reading what they do.  I can already see the problem with Command points in larger games where I’m going to have more units than I can buff, so I’m looking forward to tackling that.

The mistakes were mostly related to my opponent an I just finishing a game of 40k before.  So we didn’t do the Alternating turns, I forgot about being able to shoot in Combat and that I’m able to target Characters if they aren’t the closest.  I let him go first given the range on the guns and he left his Bloodsecrator out in the open behind all of his Warriors trying to manage the Battleshock aura.  He was a sitting duck for the Arknauts on T1 and I completely spaced that I could even shoot him.  I’m going to have to play around with going second more often I think, but we’ll see.

Not using the Mhornar bonuses was a HUGE oversight that won’t happen again, now that I’ve read it.  To be fair I wasn’t expecting to play as I had just finished assembling them, and was asking questions about 2.0.  The offer to play to answer my questions instead of trying to explain it just popped up.

In that list you might also consider barak urbaz. It’s khemist can buff two units. Which will have a bigger impact in that 500 pts than mornahr. Did you check th KO thread for list tips? 20 thunders are amazing! And good call on going all rifles. 

My goal was 3x20 as well but a KO player made a very good argument (and proved it at cancon) for 40 10 10. The tens with volley guns and 40 with skyhooks. His argument being it makes the khemist buff the most efficient and the 10’s screen and volleyguns are the only ones that function quite well unbuffed. Definitely worth the read to hear his game plan and choices on the honest wargamer as well. 

Mans yes, so so soooio many little rules 😂

8 hours ago, Kramer said:

In that list you might also consider barak urbaz. It’s khemist can buff two units. Which will have a bigger impact in that 500 pts than mornahr. Did you check th KO thread for list tips? 20 thunders are amazing.

After my second game, I did re read the rules and I saw the potential  in Urbaz.  Decided to stick with Mhornar, so I don’t get confused.  In addition to fitting my paint theme, we’re also into 1k games now, so moving past that.

I started reading the KO thread before starting this one to track my own progress and found quite a bit of helpful info there.  I’m going to stick with the above list for the league largely because I now have most of those models and just need to get the Arknauts at this point.  

I really like the Thunderers and I’ve decided to get another 10.  I also want to get a unit of Skywardens to try out the different Battalions. While not set on it yet, I think I’m going to get two more SC boxes.  That’ll give me the Thunderers, Skywardens, and put me at 4 Gunhaulers if I ever decide to use the Mhornar bonus with that Battalion.

Just need ideas to convert the additional Skyhooks in the large block of AC.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:50 PM, WatcherintheWater said:

There definitely can be a lot to remember. I still forget at least one footnote half the time.

This is why I want to see if I have some cardstock and make myself a ton of note cards to bring to my games so I don't forget anything. XD

I did a key points overview broken up per phase. It’s really helps I did: 

phase

who - name ability -keyword summary

who - name ability -keyword summary

etc

also ordered to beginning and end of phase and your pick in the middle. So the navigators ‘Aetherstorm’ is in my hero phase and copy pasted to his movement phase. 

Archived