Visibility and Citadel Woods

Vextol

Question

What are all the rules regarding flying units with cover and obstacles and line if sight?  I can't seem to find solid sources but we are wondering if flying units keep line of sight always. 

Specifically, can they see a point in the woods (spell casting, abilities etc.)

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Vextol said:

What about obstacles and line of sight?

Flying has no interaction with obstacles or line of sight: it only lets you move in a different way than normal.

Wyldwoods block LOS unless either the shooter or target have flying, but that's not a power flying technically gives you itself, it's an exception that the wyldwoods rules check for, if you get my meaning. For instance if some spell does d6 damage to flyers, that's not a flying power, it's some other ability's affect on flyers.

10 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Flying has no interaction with obstacles or line of sight: it only lets you move in a different way than normal.

Wyldwoods block LOS unless either the shooter or target have flying, but that's not a power flying technically gives you itself, it's an exception that the wyldwoods rules check for, if you get my meaning. For instance if some spell does d6 damage to flyers, that's not a flying power, it's some other ability's affect on flyers.

Because they're a citadel wood.  Got it.  Thank you!

12 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

So the specific rule question that was coming up was whether a flying unit could choose a "Point on the battlefield that was visible to them" that was inside the woods.  I appreciate all the input so far.

3 hours ago, Vextol said:

So the specific rule question that was coming up was whether a flying unit could choose a "Point on the battlefield that was visible to them" that was inside the woods.  I appreciate all the input so far.

That is a very interesting question and the answer is a bit more complicated than the response @King Taloren gave you. Yes, a flying unit can choose a "Point on the battlefield that was visible to them" if this point is within a Citadel Wood terrain. But so can a unit without flying. The Overgrown Wilderness ability of the Citadel Wood stops models from being visible to each other but has no effect on the visibility between a model and a point on the battlefield.

I would appreciate it if someone could post the wording of the warscroll with a link - I am a bit in a hurry and just checked it using google pictures.

I hope my answer was helpful :)

3 hours ago, Isotop said:

That is a very interesting question and the answer is a bit more complicated than the response @King Taloren gave you. Yes, a flying unit can choose a "Point on the battlefield that was visible to them" if this point is within a Citadel Wood terrain. But so can a unit without flying. The Overgrown Wilderness ability of the Citadel Wood stops models from being visible to each other but has no effect on the visibility between a model and a point on the battlefield.

I would appreciate it if someone could post the wording of the warscroll with a link - I am a bit in a hurry and just checked it using google pictures.

I hope my answer was helpful :)

Overgrown Wilderness: Models are not visible to each other if a imaginary straight line 1mm wide drawn between the two models crosses over more than 1” of the base of a citadel wood. This scenery rule does not apply if either model can fly.

Archived