Tenebrael Shard vs Shadowblade Assassin

syph0n

I love Assassins. I've got 6 models collected over the years - I've even got two of the same metal Shadowblade original model. 

I use them in a couple of lists, they're fun. But I've now got a Mixed Order list that would allow me to take Tenebrael Shard, load him up with the Sword of Judgment and ask him to delete something if I roll a 4+ and ping to the next one. But it got me thinking - is he worth the extra 40 points? Is he worth using the Realm Artefact that might be better on my Sorceress on Dragon or Anointed on Frostheart? 

So, in favour of Tenebrael Shard:

• Two weapons. Baseline - 6A, 4+, 4+ 1D (unless using the SoJ) / 2A, 3+, 3+, -1R, D3 D
  • 2" better movement, plus the 50/50 chance to move anywhere on a 4+ in the hero phase (and then move on again after)
  • Ignores rend, but same 5+ save as the Shadowblade

In favour of Shadowblade:

• Better baseline on the poison blades, but only 1 weapon - 6A, 3+, 3+, 1 (D3 vs Heroes without an artefact)
  • 40 points cheaper (could add an endless spell extra)
  • Can hide in a unit - in my particular case that is very mobile Reavers, Frostheart, Dragon or Chariot - more reliable?

I did try the Mathhammer app but it doesn't tally up the total of attacks across more than one weapon. Weapon v weapon, Shadowblade edges it, especially without the Artefact. However, the number of wounds will obviously rise with Tenebrael having two extra attacks due to the second weapon, of which can also do rend and D3. 

I'm leaning Shadowblade currently, just to try and utilise another spell and give the artefact to my general, but I might be glaringly be missing something like the Shard's impact due to his other abilities. 

Thoughts?

I've used Skaven Assassins pretty extensively and I really love them (even though they can't jump the queue in combat now) but I really think everything about the Tenebrael Shard wins it out for me compared to the Assassin if you really need a hero\monster killer.

You've pretty much already covered everything, so I agree that putting SoJ on the barbs for the MW's and still having 2 more attacks on 3\3\-1\d3 is great. Appearing within 3" on a 50\50 is nice, but also risky since you really have to bank on killing that hero in order to make free move out, otherwise it's likely the Shard get's deleted afterwards whereas the Assassin would at least have the support of the unit it was hiding in next to it. 

All that said, I think it really just depends on the matchup. Being able to hide the Assassin in a fast unit that will charge into a hero works great as well since it can jump the combat queue. But I think overall my preference still goes to a SoJ equipped Shard. I don't like and seldom use endless spells outside of static ones such as BW\Shackles\etc, so I can't vouch for those 40 points being more useful than a hero that has a very good potential at killing a 6 wound support hero right out of the gate.

Heroes like that in general are pretty risk vs. reward, but I say if you want to go that route then fully commit to something that can do it with the highest chance of success, even if it means trading hero for hero if the shard gets killed by a unit afterwards.

Taking out\tying up a crutch support hero turn 1 with an instant teleport can easily cripple the right opponent for the rest of the game and I think that's pretty good value for his cost.

Personally I'm in favor of a shadowblade with the dimensional blade as my hero blender of choice, 6A 3+/3+/-3/D3 statistically gets the job done against a foot hero and can bracket a bigger hero before he can swing at an important piece of your army (looking at you durthu and your flat 6 damage shenanigans).

I do love the Tenebral and fielded him a few times pre-realm artefacts but I find the shadowblade's ability to pop out of any unit more useful and reliable than the 4+ to teleport.

Archived