Representing Forces of Malal in Age of Sigmar

Lord Krungharr

Who else out there is, for some insane reason, still worshipping Malal?  And what units/conversions/army lists might best represent the devotees of Malice on the tabletop?   I have the old Kaleb Daark riding a black and white Galrauch as my Lord on Manticore, bunch of black and white warriors, and also some Marauders.  However, there are some great 3rd party Daemons of Malice models by Knightmare Miniatures, and I'm wondering what Daemons to use them as?  The big one is certainly a Daemon Prince, but what about the Hook Horrors, and the 2 insectoid ones?  Beasts of Nurgle, or Fiends of Slaanesh?  Or slap some Hook Horrors on the insectoids to be Skullcrushers?  Or just have them be Furies (putting wings on the Hook Horrors) and Spawn?

Should we be using non-competitive lists because we love hating it?  Should we be using hardcore netlists and just paint them black and white?

Is it actually more appropriate to NOT use Chaos?!?! 

40k is easier, Sons of Malice can be Renegade Astartes and I use all HQs to be the Doomed Ones plus Cultists and Bikers.

• Like 2

I too have thought about this. For the minor demons / hooked horrors, I was thinking crypt flayers with tzaangor heads and genestealer arms like. I'd run them as demonettes or bloodletters I think.  Just so bad at painting white that I've been hesitant to try it

Edited by Frowny
More Info

3 hours ago, Kharneth said:

What is Malal's domain anyway? I never understood how the 4 Chaos Gods were incomplete. 

Malal has been swept under the rug and rewritten so many times i'm not sure what the current "official" description is, but he's essentially the antithesis or pinnacle of chaos, he represents chaos' inevitable end as it turns in on itself in self destruction. The chaos gods are a fire given life by the universe and malal is the flame sputtering out in a sense.

3 hours ago, Kharneth said:

What is Malal's domain anyway? I never understood how the 4 Chaos Gods were incomplete. 

Well, without the horned rat, who wouldn’t be incomplete?😂

edit: also wasn’t the chaos god Malal a 40k thing?

thought he was some sort of a god written by fans for the 40k universe.

didnt know that he also existed in the fantasy now known as the age of the horned rat (definitely not Sigmar).

but hey love the idea of an existing stormcast army worshipping such a god who seeks to destroy all chaos deity’s.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

28 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well, without the horned rat, who wouldn’t be incomplete?😂

edit: also wasn’t the chaos god Malal a 40k thing?

thought he was some sort of a god written by fans for the 40k universe.

didnt know that he also existed in the fantasy now known as the age of the horned rat (definitely not Sigmar).

but hey love the idea of an existing stormcast army worshipping such a god who seeks to destroy all chaos deity’s.

I mean, frankly Skaven is only a part of Chaos due to a technicality. 

I know nothing about Malal, but I tend to perceive Chaos as identical in 40k and fantasy. To me there aren't two Chaos pantheons. 

41 minutes ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Malal has been swept under the rug and rewritten so many times i'm not sure what the current "official" description is, but he's essentially the antithesis or pinnacle of chaos, he represents chaos' inevitable end as it turns in on itself in self destruction. The chaos gods are a fire given life by the universe and malal is the flame sputtering out in a sense.

Hm, okay. But, um, what is the source of Malal's power? Like, Khorne feeds on anger, hatred, and violence. Slaanesh on greed, desire, and craving. Nurgle on fear, sickness, and death. And Tzeentch on delusion, change, and magic. Is Malal just pure anarchy or pure madness? Chaos without aim?

24 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

I mean, frankly Skaven is only a part of Chaos due to a technicality. 

Well that of course is the perspective of every not skaven player on the world.

truth be told the great horned rat is the only true chaos deity in aos.

anything else you might have heard of, are lies.

Yes-yes  lies, all things lie to you-you, truth can only be found by joining the pantheon of our great god the horned rat.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

28 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

I know nothing about Malal, but I tend to perceive Chaos as identical in 40k and fantasy. To me there aren't two Chaos pantheons. 

Hm, okay. But, um, what is the source of Malal's power? Like, Khorne feeds on anger, hatred, and violence. Slaanesh on greed, desire, and craving. Nurgle on fear, sickness, and death. And Tzeentch on delusion, change, and magic. Is Malal just pure anarchy or pure madness? Chaos without aim?

Malal more or less feeds off of pure chaos itself, as long as chaos exists so does malal. He exists as the manifestation of chaos' self destructive nature, think about it, the end goal of chaos is the ruination of all, but since living beings are the source of chaos it's a self destructive goal. Malal represents and feeds off of chaos' march to it's own destruction.

2 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

Malal more or less feeds off of pure chaos itself, as long as chaos exists so does malal. He exists as the manifestation of chaos' self destructive nature, think about it, the end goal of chaos is the ruination of all, but since living beings are the source of chaos it's a self destructive goal. Malal represents and feeds off of chaos' march to it's own destruction.

Yeah it makes sense, he's kinda meta. 

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well that of course is the perspective of every not skaven player on the world.

truth be told the great horned rat is the only true chaos deity in aos.

anything else you might have heard of, are lies.

Yes-yes  lies, all things lie to you-you, truth can only be found by joining the pantheon of our great god the horned rat.

Hahaha yeah, I hear you. 

Malice is the god of self loathing. The khorne worshippers last nagging shred of a soul hating itself for every additional skull. The pathetic shrivelled  idea inside that slaaneshi pleasure cultist that maybe visceral satisfaction as the only end is a terrible and wretched goal. The idea is solid.... Never really made much sense as an embodieid God though..

Holy cow is that beautiful. Tzaangor body? Where did you get the head and shield? That is a chaos Lord?

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 4:12 AM, BrocknerTheBear said:

I've almost finished the daemon prince of malal. All the lesser daemons will be bloodletters with heads changed slightly to match. 

Mounting bloodletters on blind dracolines for cavalry.

And the greater daemon is based on the elemental of fire from forgeworld.

IMG_20181222_233313_323.jpg

That's awesome! I'd recognize Be'Lakor anywhere, haha. I enjoy the Spartan aesthetic. 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 5:00 PM, Kharneth said:

On 12/21/2018 at 8:35 PM, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

so.... 

Malal as a concept first appeared in the Citadel compendium back in 86 or 87.  It was part of a comic strip which appeared therin called kaleb Daark.

Malal in essence was the chaos god's chaos god - and his champion described as "a man of chaos but not of chaos".  The first battle Kaleb Daark faced was at Praag fighting against the champions of khorne , the chaos brothers Jake and Hellwood - a parody of the blues brothers.

Malal and Kaleb daark didn't make it any further, not into fantasy and not into 40k as he wasn't fully GW's copyright, but the property of Wagner and Grant who wrote the script - an excellent 2000AD script writing duo.

so as much as we really want him to be part of the fluff he really wasn't past the citadel jornal and compendiums and some references in wfrp and some second edition era lit.

I've still got the model of Kaleb daark mounted and on foot when he came out. :)

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Malal

Awesome work though guys and I love seeing malal stuff keep cropping up - for such a short run he really captured the imagination. @BrocknerTheBear - the shield on the prince conversion - it's awesome, where did you get it from? :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

so.... 

Malal as a concept first appeared in the Citadel compendium back in 86 or 87.  It was part of a comic strip which appeared therin called kaleb Daark.

Malal in essence was the chaos god's chaos god - and his champion described as "a man of chaos but not of chaos".  The first battle Kaleb Daark faced was at Praag fighting against the champions of khorne , the chaos brothers Jake and Hellwood - a parody of the blues brothers.

Malal and Kaleb daark didn't make it any further, not into fantasy and not into 40k as he wasn't fully GW's copyright, but the property of Wagner and Grant who wrote the script - an excellent 2000AD script writing duo.

so as much as we really want him to be part of the fluff he really wasn't past the citadel jornal and compendiums and some references in wfrp and some second edition era lit.

I've still got the model of Kaleb daark mounted and on foot when he came out. :)

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Malal

Awesome work though guys and I love seeing malal stuff keep cropping up - for such a short run he really captured the imagination. @BrocknerTheBear - the shield on the prince conversion - it's awesome, where did you get it from? :)

In one of the recent CSM codexes there is a warband called the Sons of Malice who actively fight other chaos warbands. Its a small nod towards Malal who i have always found interesting but i dont think he has ever been mentioned anywhere in Fantasy or having a warband that acts in his ways towards the other chaos forces. But in AoS you can make up your own fluff, so if your army followers this "mysterious" god, then why the hell not. The realms are big enough to support your own fantasy.