Rogue idol of gork

Knight of Ruin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So like i don't know how this forum considers recasts. But there's someone on eBay selling them as "orc Rogue idol"

Like I always buy from my local gw to support them, but if it's impossible to buy it anymore then ykno.

I can't speak for the forum, but my stance is that recasts are not good.

Yeah things go out of production. OOP is part of the rarity and coolness of collecting and having those models. It's like having the cool old metal models, sure they're more expensive or whatever to buy from scalpers, but they're a collectible. Fakes sorta ruin that.

If you want a model for the rules or the theme or the fluff or whatever, scratch-build or proxy all you like, its a core part of the hobby. But if you want *that* model because *that* model is cool... Get the real thing. It'll be even more special for the rarity and difficulty in obtaining it :)

There's also the illegality and 'you cant use that at GW' secondary concerns.

16 minutes ago, Emicus said:

I can't speak for the forum, but my stance is that recasts are not good.

Yeah things go out of production. OOP is part of the rarity and coolness of collecting and having those models. It's like having the cool old metal models, sure they're more expensive or whatever to buy from scalpers, but they're a collectible. Fakes sorta ruin that.

If you want a model for the rules or the theme or the fluff or whatever, scratch-build or proxy all you like, its a core part of the hobby. But if you want *that* model because *that* model is cool... Get the real thing. It'll be even more special for the rarity and difficulty in obtaining it :)

There's also the illegality and 'you cant use that at GW' secondary concerns.

Well. I'm actually somewhat of an IP Law expert and there's generally no illegality on your end when you are just buying it and it's for personal use. There is on their end of course.

I assume you can't use a proxied model (ie someone else's model) at gw anyway. Also I feel like telling someone else to pay huge fees for an original if you can even find one, is kinda punishing someone for being new.

I'm happy to support gw and my local store, but not super keen on giving hundreds of dollars to some random.

Note ive never bought a recast to my knowledge, but I don't think it's the worst thing ever that they exist for oop stuff.

18 minutes ago, Emicus said:

It does sound like you have made your mind up :) I hope that has been helpful for you.

18 minutes ago, Emicus said:

Haha I guess. I was more just letting people know it is out there if they want to go that route.

When it comes to OOP models I have no problems whatsoever with recasts. It's the only way of getting hold of the models if they're OOP. Like the forgeworld limited edition Slann Mage priest, nearly impossible to get ahold of, but even if you do they cost a fortune on eBay. 

4 minutes ago, Lucio said:

Well just finished painting my Idol of Gork, admitedly I forgot to order a base for it, but I'll get that sorted!

IMG_20160808_203030632_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160808_203156003.jpg

IMG_20160808_203203005.jpg

IMG_20160808_203224614.jpg

IMG_20160808_203322977.jpg

Which model is this? I need to own it.  I do see some Treelord bits in there, which is a great idea...

Archived