Big FAQ?

Sev

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

(40k had point changes in one of their faqs).

Outside of international printing errors (like the english one has one point cost, the german one has a different one), when did they do that?

As far as I can tell, 40k much like AoS has to wait for their Yearly big book (Chapter Approved) for any significant point changes. Otherwise whats the point of buying that thing! (other than all the neat other stuffs!)

23 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I didn't spot this. Could you tell me what the change was please? 

They changed wording from "near a unit" to "near any units" so their -1 to hit debuff no longer stacks.  It was debated before.  If they wanted to clarify that it didn't stack they would have wrote it in question form, but they reworded entirely, meaning used to stack, now does not.  

Also clarified the Staff of Focus not giving the Everblaze Comet extra mortals.

Q: If a Wizard has an ability that increases the number of mortal wounds inflicted by the spells they cast, does this ability also apply to the abilities of any endless spells that the wizard casts?

A: No.

I'm sure there are other examples it applies to but this is the one which came up the most I think.

16 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Outside of international printing errors (like the english one has one point cost, the german one has a different one), when did they do that?

As far as I can tell, 40k much like AoS has to wait for their Yearly big book (Chapter Approved) for any significant point changes. Otherwise whats the point of buying that thing! (other than all the neat other stuffs!)

It happened in early 40k - things like conscripts, Dark Reapers, etc. Once they announced the new 'format' (2 yearly FAQs and a CA) they haven't done so. 

29 minutes ago, BobbyB said:

Am I being stupid, or does the GA: Order faq say that wild rider shields don't have any special rules, and then the FAQ says here are their special rules? 😂 bit confusing

Well, it sounds like "Do they have rules? No, they don't...ok, they have now." :) 

I find the astrolith bearer changes interesting. now fully within 12" to get the reroll to hit, but you can reroll any hits (and not only failed ones), which is good against modifiers (which coukd let you miss a successful roll) or to fish for some extra effects on a 6 (if you reroll a 5 that would hit).

and he doesn't need to plant the banner anymore but can move normally (or was this changed before?)

Screenshot_20181217-181022_Dropbox.jpg

5 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

I find the astrolith bearer changes interesting. now fully within 12" to get the reroll to hit, but you can reroll any hits (and not only failed ones), which is good against modifiers (which coukd let you miss a successful roll) or to fish for some extra effects on a 6 (if you reroll a 5 that would hit).

and he doesn't need to plant the banner anymore but can move normally (or was this changed before?)

Screenshot_20181217-181022_Dropbox.jpg

It's a pretty huge nerf.  He was already difficult to use in melee.  Now he will almost never be used in melee because teleporting him only gets you three inches of leeway in whatever unit you're buffing.  I don't think it was really necessary.  If they really had to do it, it should have been more like 15 or the current meta of 18.  Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Go to warhammer community site faq part, look for 40k 16/04/2018 big faq (summary and beta rules) and scroll down. You'll find point changes and even words such as "several units needing point rebalance as soon as possible" used. And this was done AFTER chapter approved 2017 btw. So yes, they can do point changes with these faqs but they chose not to with aos even though there are few good candidates for it.

3 hours ago, JPjr said:

I know this particular artefact gets called out a lot (even just in that recent thread about realm spells/artefacts) so worth highlighting...

Screenshot 2018-12-17 at 14.55.09.png

The Ethereal Amulet is way more broken. I am really disappointed they didn‘t change the Amulet so it sets the armour to be 4+ at best.

since there weren’t point changes Namarti Reavers stay an overcosted waste of points, Allopexes cost as much as 3 eels while only having 1/3 of the eels power. And The Eidolons are still way too expensive (compared to other monsters the Leciadon could drop 20-40 pts as well...) 👎🏻

Same for Liberators, all Paladins and Dracoth Riders.

14 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

Go to warhammer community site faq part, look for 40k 16/04/2018 big faq (summary and beta rules) and scroll down. You'll find point changes and even words such as "several units needing point rebalance as soon as possible" used. And this was done AFTER chapter approved 2017 btw. So yes, they can do point changes with these faqs but they chose not to with aos even though there are few good candidates for it.

Ahh ok I guess I missed that.

Maybe it's due to the AoS team and the 40k team having different philosophies. I mean AoS is a game where they let summoning be a thing for matched play, for better or for worse. Meanwhile they still are enforcing the "Reinforcement Point" thing for 40k (well for now...). Poor Tervigon owners!

58 minutes ago, Vextol said:

It's a pretty huge nerf.  He was already difficult to use in melee.  Now he will almost never be used in melee because teleporting him only gets you three inches of leeway in whatever unit you're buffing.  I don't think it was really necessary.  If they really had to do it, it should have been more like 15 or the current meta of 18.  Just my opinion.

He can move around freely now, though. Should be easier to keep up with your army.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

He can move around freely now, though. Should be easier to keep up with your army.

How about that.  I just super imposed the planting requirement which isn't there anymore.  That definitely helps, but it is still a very significant nerf.   

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

The Ethereal Amulet is way more broken. I am really disappointed they didn‘t change the Amulet so it sets the armour to be 4+ at best

I don't like the idea that something very useful has to be nerfed.  If we nerf the amulet, people will complain about the gryph charm, if we nerf that, people will complain about the sword of judgement, if we nerf that the thermal rider cloak will go, then ignax, then the Coronet and Ghyrstrike until eventually we just have crappy artifacts that noone ever takes.  Tadah.  Balanced.😢

I didn't like any of the artifact changes.  Doppelganger cloak was situational and it helped mitigate the giant horrible blocks of broken people used.  Spell mirror allowed armies that had NO magic defense a fighting chance to survive waves of tzeentch and Seraphon onslaught (RIP Seraphon onslaught).

Instead of making the good artifacts bad, they should make the bad artifacts better or just slim the pool so every artifact is useful in certain situations.  We don't need 500 artifacts that add one to wound.  We get it...

The amulet is a particular hot spot for me because there are a lot of heroes out there that suck but with the amulet, they actually become interesting. 

31 minutes ago, Vextol said:

How about that.  I just super imposed the planting requirement which isn't there anymore.  That definitely helps, but it is still a very significant nerf.   

I don't like the idea that something very useful has to be nerfed.  If we nerf the amulet, people will complain about the gryph charm, if we nerf that, people will complain about the sword of judgement, if we nerf that the thermal rider cloak will go, then ignax, then the Coronet and Ghyrstrike until eventually we just have crappy artifacts that noone ever takes.  Tadah.  Balanced.😢

I didn't like any of the artifact changes.  Doppelganger cloak was situational and it helped mitigate the giant horrible blocks of broken people used.  Spell mirror allowed armies that had NO magic defense a fighting chance to survive waves of tzeentch and Seraphon onslaught (RIP Seraphon onslaught).

Instead of making the good artifacts bad, they should make the bad artifacts better or just slim the pool so every artifact is useful in certain situations.  We don't need 500 artifacts that add one to wound.  We get it...

The amulet is a particular hot spot for me because there are a lot of heroes out there that suck but with the amulet, they actually become interesting. 

A 3+ unrentable with a possible rerolling 1s is broken, especially if you give it a hero on a monster o.O

it‘s almost immortal to normal attacks.

4+ is already good.

26 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

A 3+ unrentable with a possible rerolling 1s is broken, especially if you give it a hero on a monster o.O

it‘s almost immortal to normal attacks.

4+ is already good.

Maybe.  I'm just glad it's limited to just one mode....oop.  An entire faction gets it.  At least there aren't any other ways to get tha....oop.  Neferata can cast it on an entire unit.

Heroes on monsters are some of the most overcosted, under utilized and squishy models in the game.  And everyone hates shooting right?  Ethereal amulet is just one more way to avoid being shot to death.  Healing abilities are pretty useless a lot of the time because anything potent that needs healed is probably going to get dead before you get a chance do anything.  Ethereal amulet helps with this.  And are you REALLY concerned with the amulet?  Because you can fix it.  Just take gildenbane.  How about instead of nerfing Ethereal amulet, bump the range of Gildenbane to "Within 12 inches" instead of a useless, measly 3.  Boom.  Ethereal amulet balanced.  Heck, go ahead and bring Spell Mirror back.  Make an artifact that nullifies mystic shield within a range.  Whatever you need to do that doesn't simply erase a useful artifact.

I don't even have to mention that 50% of the armies out there can't deal with a REGULAR 3+ reroll 1 hero.  You are already spoiled if the ethereal amulet is all that's holding you back.

I don't really care how they deal with it, but this constant need to break anything even remotely cool in the name of 'balance' makes the game so stale and unbalanced.  It's really hard to tell someone an army is unbalanced when there are a gazillion different options and variables.  It's easy when everyone's stuff is simply last years stuff X.0.   

Remove ethereal amulet from the game and a lot of the cool heroes that are finally seeing play will go right back to being shelved.  That makes me sad faced.

1 minute ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

The funny thing is I cannot find this hugh base in GW or FW website.😐

Forge world units like that don’t have bases. They’re custom crafted ... btw that model is insanely huge ... and (pretty much) requires almost metal coat hangers to properly pin the parts.

From a scale perspective Titans in 40k don’t get based either .. though they need them for stability.

4 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

The funny thing is I cannot find this hugh base in GW or FW website.😐

I think you basically have to make one.  Mine is (for now) on a  170x105mm base (stardrake size).  It fits fine, tail and head stick out a bit far but it wasn't any worse than some I've seen.  Kinda sucks that it needs to be on a dinner plate now.  It fits at least as well as the new black coach 😁

Archived