Wood Elves?

Mith_OS

Hello Everyone,

I'm very knew to AoS and miniatures in general. At one point I was going to get involved in the WH: Fantasy series then saw they had disbanded that and introduced AoS. I was hesitant back then and just perused the models. I remember seeing a Wood Elves faction. Maybe I'm wrong. But I did see a Wood Elves war scroll/book of rules and there were many units not available on the GW website. I see the Glade units would fall under this category, but none of the larger units with mounts, etc. Are the wood elves a thing of the past? Do units go in and out of production often? And if the Wood Elves are still around, what's the best procedure to go about organizing an army that stays within that race?

Any help and insight here would be much appreciated.

Welcome! 

First up the old Wood elf army got broken into two parts:

The Sylvanath, which is the tree sprite side of the faction along with the Everqueen became their own distinct faction who also have their own Battletome and thus are currently a complete and functional army.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer?N=647457687+4201278636&Nr=AND(sku.siteId%3AGB_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_GB_gw)&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[product.startDate+<%3D+1545003720000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1545003720000]

Meanwhile the Elven part of the army got renamed into Aelves (as did all other elves from the old world); and are currently without a proper force of their own. Many of the models are still around, but not all, however what will happen to them as a faction is currently unknown. GW might release them as their own army or might combine them with other forces. We just don't know as yet. 

Hey Overread,

Thank you for all the information. I was suspicious that what you're saying might be the case. Sounds like the best bet for me is to mix some of the Sylvanath with the Glade units under the Aelves. It's unfortunate that we can't predict what GW might do. Hopefully they will at least keep the race somewhat indicative of the Wood Elf group. To think that they would move beyond it within a fantasy-based setting is worrisome. The main reason I'd like to go into AoS is hopeful that there will be stability.

At least it seems like I can sort of recreate the initial army that appeared at the onset of AoS. Thanks again for the details.

You can use Sylvanath as the core army and then take a 1/4 of Aelf units as allies. That would let you use the Sylvanath battletome and get access to their abilities, spells and such. Otherwise yeah its a case of crossing fingers and seeing what comes in the new year - many are hoping that 2019 is a big year of updates to battletomes for AoS to improve its standing. 

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Meanwhile the Elven part of the army got renamed into Aelves (as did all other elves from the old world); and are currently without a proper force of their own. Many of the models are still around, but not all, however what will happen to them as a faction is currently unknown. GW might release them as their own army or might combine them with other forces. We just don't know as yet. 

Not quite.  The wood aleves are now Wanderers, they are their own faction with allegiance abilities in the generald handbook.    I can't speak to how viable the faction is but you can also go the free cities route(see the topic in the order form). , or just grand alliance order.  

3 hours ago, Mith_OS said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm very knew to AoS and miniatures in general. At one point I was going to get involved in the WH: Fantasy series then saw they had disbanded that and introduced AoS. I was hesitant back then and just perused the models. I remember seeing a Wood Elves faction. Maybe I'm wrong. But I did see a Wood Elves war scroll/book of rules and there were many units not available on the GW website. I see the Glade units would fall under this category, but none of the larger units with mounts, etc. Are the wood elves a thing of the past? Do units go in and out of production often? And if the Wood Elves are still around, what's the best procedure to go about organizing an army that stays within that race?

Any help and insight here would be much appreciated.

The Aelves that were the Wood Elves are now known as Wanderers.  Although they do not have their own battletome, they do have allegiance abilities and artefacts which can be found in the General's Handbook.  While not a top tier army by any means, they can still be fun to play.  It all depends on how much you like the concept of nomadic Aelves wandering the Realms seeking to restore and preserve the Ley-lines that that weave through all the Realms creating a web of power to preserve and sustain life and reality (well, that's how I see them - not trying to sell it to you or anything :) ).

Wanderers are not a thing of the past, but they have not yet received a battletome.  I have no idea whether they will, but I live in hope.  They have allegiance abilities, they have been re-boxed with round bases, theyare mentioned in the lore and recently some short stories about a Nomad Prince have come out of the Black Library, so I'm fairly confident they are sticking around.

Ahh I totally forgot to check the Generals Hand Book 2018! Yes Wanderers have their own rules and faction within there. 

The Allies list in the same book is also interesting:

Sylvanath can take: Wanderers, Stormcast Eternals, Idoneth Deepkin 

Wanderers can take: Sylvanath, Stormcast Eternals, Idoneth Deepkin, Swifthawk Agents, Lion Rangers, Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple, Eldritch Council. 

In practical terms this means that Wanderers can take pretty much the entire old High Elf range of models as allies. Though you are limited, eg at 1K points you can only take 200 allies in points and only 1/4 in model count*.

*This means if you took 40 models in your army you could take 10 allied models. This is basically to stop people taking a couple of really powerful leaders from their main army and then a lot of cheap troops from an allied force.

43 minutes ago, Overread said:

*This means if you took 40 models in your army you could take 10 allied models. This is basically to stop people taking a couple of really powerful leaders from their main army and then a lot of cheap troops from an allied force.

It's actually units, not models. You can have 3 stormcast heroes and take 40 freeguild guard as allies and that will be valid 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived