New Years Hobby Resolutions 2019

36 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

I also want to get into the narrative side of the game and make up some battle plans that are fun, away from the 2000 point standard. (Any narrative / narrative curious players in Essex by the way?)

Sounds great

36 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

I’d love to see what 1300 clan rats looks like on a tabletop!

Well I can send you a picture when I get to my goal.

but this might need some Time 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

It's things like that which make me wish Warmaster came back! Or at least the AoS version of that game! 

Not to begrudge you your enjoyment of that game, but in my opinion it was the worst game* GW ever made. 

That said, I would love a proper Epic version of AoS.

*This includes only those games they put out with the idea that they were a fully supported attempt at a lasting full system as opposed to one-offs or games with a WD add-on or two.

50 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Not to begrudge you your enjoyment of that game, but in my opinion it was the worst game* GW ever made. 

That said, I would love a proper Epic version of AoS.

Ahh I never played Warmaster, but I did love their models and honestly GW had some of the best looking small scale fantasy models in that range. Plus it had GW behind it - most other 10 or 15mm fantasy games are tiny in support and often a case of rules from one company models from another. There's some great ones out there, but by and large its an ignored segment of the market. 

Thing is Warmaster style AoS could easily use movement trays and have formation movement, wheeling and flank attacks and the like. Ergo it could bring back a lot of what old fantasy had, at a scale that lets you build large armies without breaking the bank. It's a win win situation in my view. Though honestly I'd expect Adepticus Titanicus and Epic to return and be out for many years long before we'd see anything on the AoS front. Which honestly is probably a good thing if that were the case since AoS clearly needs a year or two more just to get its 35mm scale sorted out.

As said before, I need to get off my ass and paint instead of getting new models.  I literally need to paint the four Orruks from Shadespire, a Gore Grunta, three Stormvermin, a Grey Seer, a mercenary Ogre and a Knight Incantor and I will have four quite large, fully functional,and not to mention fully painted skirmish warbands.  And all those models are even currently primed!!

But of course here I am about to buy a box of Ironbreakers/Irondrakes, a Runelord and a pair of Runewars Rune Golems (to be allied-in but more fluffy "Kurnoth Hunters") to be the core of a new Duardin warband.  Gamer ADD at it's best......

Edited by Aegisgrimm
  • Like 2

Updated Hobby Pledge.

Not to start any more armies. This is not funny; it is a real problem. 😔

For 2019 stick with...

40k/KT: Drukhari, Tyranids, SoB.
AoS: Stormcast, DoK

Cross system: Daemons

No new models except:
1. Limited edition from one of the above armies.
2. To complete an existing squad or make an army legal
3. A box or two of the new Sisters for KT, if I have kept to my pledge at that point.

Progression goals...

Replace old Dark Eldar models with new, painted Drukhari.
Paint SCE.
Build DoK and Daemons.

Try to become a better player.

I was pulled back into the hobby after a roughly twelve year absence, so i have no prior resolutions. Being overly ambitious and picking up far too much has resulted in an extensive collection of unpainted plastic that I desperately need to work through before looking at new models again. I have everything I need to play the armies I want at the moment, so hopefully the allure of new plastic stays at bay. 

Pledge:

100 dollar budget per monthfor picking up necessities for finishing an army; mostly paint, basing materials, magnets, maybe endless spells if absolutely necessary. I might reward myself if I reach various milestones, but I'll figure those out elsewhere in more detail.

Expand my GW paint collection. I actually quite like them now, even if I wish they were in dripper bottles, and my old Vallejo game colors seem to be separating after being inert for several years.  

I have that obnoxious, overarching goal of finishing all of my unpainted models, but I am not going to hold my breath on this one just yet. I can however, focus on a large chunk of my collection and finish my Tzeentch. I play DoT/Thousand Sons, and already have plans and parts for working my way back into Beasts of Chaos (where my interest in Warhammer started way back when). Finishing these models would take out a large chunk of the workload I have made for myself. 

Outside of everything Tzaangor flavored; I have almost 3k points of Nighthaunt if I count all of my multiple characters from the starter sets, about 1500 points of Khorne Daemons, and a good 1500 points of Admech received for the holidays. There's a lot to go through. 

There's a lot to paint. I'm (hopefully) going to be busy.

Its interesting to see how many people are saying "play the game more". I'd kind of thought that most people on here played a lot more than I do, so its somewhat reassuring to see that I'm not the only one making that a goal.

As a slight update to my resolution, as of Christmas I have kind of acquired even more Elves, but I also have some Necrons too!

Sorry for the long post!

Just got into miniature wargaming world last August (randomly entered a GW store and fell in love with AoS models, I blame the Cabbage). In the past 5 months I've binged a bit too much (by the end of 2018, had 2000 points of SCE (built, half painted), 1000 points of IJ (built, only maw krusha painted), 1500 points of BoC (assembled, unpainted, these models have been much more difficult for me to clean up/assemble), with a backlog of 1250 point of NH, 1000 points of BoC, 3000 points of IDK (they were 30% off at FLGS due to low demand, and also got one and a half battleforce over x'mas. This was also the faction I most wanted to play, but decided not to start due to no start collecting! kit), and around 1000 points of khorne (doggos!). (Also have chaos chosen and undead BB teams, all underworlds mobs, and T'au KT assembled but only parts painted) 

Kinda started reflecting on purchases and decided to set a limited budget (now that I have a better understanding of how frequently new stuff comes out). 

I'm lucky to have a local FLGS with quite a few frequent players (almost always able to find a pickup AoS 1,000+ point game on weekend, and even sometimes on weekdays), as well as for other games (Underworlds, BB, KT), so it's been awesome learning the various tabletop games. AoS is still my favorite by far, especially with all the different armies available and different ways to play each army as well (and love a lot of the designs, especially cabbage!). I think for me its slightly the opposite from most people, where I get too excited to play/try new games/factions/warbands, so I assemble models quickly to play, but haven't been painting nearly as much as I should . I've been building plastic hobby models for several years, so to meet personal minimum quality, I remove all mold lines using knife, sanding down to 600 to make sure at least curves and proper panels show, fixing seams for hero/centerpieces.  For the first few months this was fine, although building BoC models took more time than I had expected (minor conversions on bullgors, and doombull took quite some time to fill gaps/pin/green-stuff). 

Personally, I find it the most difficult to find time to sit down and paint the models. Since it's currently rainy season and it's naturally humid here (yearly average 75%+ humidity, and it rains ~75% of the days right now), finding time to prime models has been a nightmare. Currently planning to purchase an airbrush set to offset this issue, as well as to speed up base-coating. Although only <20% of the players locally field fully-painted armies, one of the reasons I started getting into GW models was for the painting aspect, so one of my major goals is to slowly try to improve painting skills and field a fully painted army. 

Goals:

Most of my goals are currently based on upcoming events (and occasionally switching tasks to prevent burnout).

Short term:

January (posted on painting contract as well, so will keep this short) : Finish assembling + painting T'au kill team for local commander league (~15 models). Work on BoC army for 1,500 local tourney. Begin assembling IDK

Feb.~April: Paint Undead BB team, fully work on fielding IDK army (FLGS most likely to host a tourney with prizes, and I want to use my IDK before (most likely) upcoming nerfs in GHB 2019). 

Long Term:

- I've decided to hold off on purchasing more than 1,000 points for any new army until I finish off at least assembling another one of the backlogged armies (IDK, NH, Khorne) or fully paint an assembled one (SCE, IJ, BoC).  (although gloomspite gitz are super tempting). 

- Other than that, my main goal is to spend at least 1 night a week on painting. (I already spend ~20+ hrs per week on assembling, hopefully I can balance this with more painting time) 

- As a semi-competitive player, I hope to also work on documenting + analyzing my own AoS games, so will be trying to take more pictures during gaming for battle reports. 

So far last year has been a great deal of fun getting into tabletop gaming, and looking forward to see what everyone will accomplish this year!

• Like 1

1) limit purchases severely. Last year I bought four new armies. This year I'm going to try and only get new Skaven and Nightvault.

2) Fully paint at least 1000 points of Skaven, Idoneth, Nighthaunt and Necrons.

3) Keep working on storage and organisation. I made a good start at the end of last year but there is more to do.

4) Get all my Underworlds warbands and Blackstone models painted.

I can do it! 

My Main goal is to finish painting everything I have before buying anything else this year.

1.  Finish My SCE half of soul wars and other random SCE units I have.
  2. Finish My Sons of Horus.
  3. Finish my start of a IG army/cultists
  4. If I have time finish off the last few deathguard models I have
  5. Play a game of either AOS or 30K

Hopefully I can have some self control and actually finish these off before buying more. I'd also like to finally play a game. I got back into painting last year and would like to finally play a game.

I just had a thought for another New Year's Resolution to try out, and everyone else is welcome to join me: do something wargaming hobby related every day of the year.  Now for myself, I am including in anything that advances or improves my hobby.  This includes but is not limited to:

• playing a game,
  • reading the rules or fluff,
  • assembling or painting models or scenery (regardless of game system or scale)
  • cleaning and organizing hobby space,
  • cataloguing and sorting my models,
  • any writing related to narratives, home-brew stuff, or potential blog contributions.

So far I am doing pretty good since I started on the 3rd.  One night I didn't get something done, but I was on call for work and I took a couple calls that lasted most of the evening.  But otherwise, I have done something every day.

Anyone else up for it?

• Like 1

My spirit is willing, but not my body.  Having two kids under 4 seriously kills doing something each day, every day.  I had a project where I wanted to paint a Stormcast skirmish warband by doing one figure a day, and that lasted three glorious days.  Now it's been 6 months and the last figure isnt even started yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So in 2018 I set myself some hobby goals that I wanted to achieve by the end of the year, most of which weren't realistic (like finishing all my little projects from the last year) in the end I scored 4/9 of my goals; but I came away from 2018 with a satisfied outlook on the hobby. Going into 2019 I set myself a more realistic list of hobby goals (one of which is to post on the TGA more often as its a great tool for us hobbyists) and throughout the year I will be posting my updates on how Im doing. My main aim regardless of how many goals I achieve is to come out of 2019 with the same outlook on the hobby that I did in 2018, a positive one. 

So here's my list =

Painting = 

• Paint all shade spire warbands.
  • Paint all tzeentch models in my pile of shame ( 2500pts)
  • Paint an army in a month
  • Have all painting for an event done at least a month before, no Friday night painting in the hotel room while friends are playing games.

Reading =

• Read a black library book.
  • Read a codex/battletome every month 
  • Read a full rulebook.

Gaming =

• Never voluntarily take the double turn at an AOS event (2 Dayer)
  • Take an underdog army like slaves to darkness to an event.
  • Win 3/5 games at two events.
  • Go to 5 events.

Hobby = 

• Use the TGA more often
  • Post 4 #WIPwednesdays on twitter in a row
  • Paint 8 pieces of terrain
  • Win a best sports award.

15 goals for 2019 all of which I feel should be able to achieve and it gives me something to aim for at the end of 2019, even though I've only just started I look forward to posting updates as the year rolls on.

Edited by DodgyRoller
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 6:09 AM, Aegisgrimm said:

My spirit is willing, but not my body.  Having two kids under 4 seriously kills doing something each day, every day.  I had a project where I wanted to paint a Stormcast skirmish warband by doing one figure a day, and that lasted three glorious days.  Now it's been 6 months and the last figure isnt even started yet.

I'm right there with you.  I have a 10 year old, a 20-month old toddler, and another coming in April.  My goal is to just do something each day.  Even if it's paint for 15 minutes after the kids are in bed, that's something for the day.

• Like 1

I don’t normally do the whole yearly resolution thing, but I will take a stab at it for this year:

Fully complete a model project.

That’s it.  Just finish something.  I have been pretty bad the last couple years in regards to starting stuff but not seeing it through to the end.  I’d like to change that.

Edited by Skabnoze