2018 NZ Masters List

mcbrain

Hi everyone,

Some folks have expressed some interest in the mixed destruction list I took to the 2018 NZ Masters tournament that was held in Kapiti, New Zealand a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to write up a list rundown over on the honest wargamer’s site. For those that don’t care to read too much into it, I’ll post the list here. For those that would like to read the write up, I’ll also include the link. 

Allegiance: Destruction
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Savage Big Boss (120)
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
- General
- Trait: Ravager

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Chompas
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Moonclan Grots (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

Units
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (420)
3 x Grot Fanatics (100)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (200)

Endless Spells
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 186

Write up: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/1sneakystabbas-2018-nz-masters-list-in-donal-we-trust/

On 12/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, DmcZwerg said:

I´m intereseted in one thing:  

-why Frostlord on Stonehorn (420)?

are there no "better" choices?  a maw crusha, or the forgeworld-dragon maybe?   help me out and explain why i need a Stonehorn :D

The thermalrider cloak gives him movement 16 and he can fly.  I start my turn with 3 command points, so using one to autorun 6" if necessary is no big deal.  That's 22" flying movement (not counting him getting a bump from rampaging destroyer) and if he is within 12" of the enemy in the charge phase, he must charge, even if he ran earlier.  So 22" flying movement plus a rerollable charge is massive for getting into things turn 1 to harass. (He's not specifically there to alpha things, but to tie up units early to allow you to get into position with everything else.)

To add to @mcbrain there are several scenarios that require a Hero / Hero with Artefact / Monster.  The Frostlord is the best choice within destruction to fulfil this role (in my opinion) in those games, and in other games his movement/damage output means hes a great threat. 

A magma dragon while awesome (and prob much better damage output) he doesnt help on the hero/hero artefact scenarios. 

Thanks for the answers :) im not playing destruction at all, im a new player and just interested what other armies can field. 

Sorry for offtopic, maybe answer with a pm:

what can i do against  monsters like the frosthorn? Pin him down with 30 chaff units? Or try to kill him with all what i have?

On 12/22/2018 at 10:49 PM, 5kaven5lave said:

@mcbrain

Another question on this list - how are you deploying your Arrowboys? A long line? More square-shaped? Or does it depend on the battle plan? Cheers!!

Depends on the battleplan, really, but I mostly deployed them in a line 15 across and 2 deep. 

Archived