Lady Olynder

emd1983

Hey guys!! 

Im looking at using lady olynder in my 2000pts nighthaunt army, and I was just wondering how people use her best? 

Her abilities seem to need her to get close. Does she need shielding/protecting etc? Or keep her distance as a wizard? What’s best?!

thanks guys!!

I usualy placed her right behind my Chainraps Hordes (20+) heading to an enemy hero. That way she isn't directly in melee Combat, she gets the "look out Sir!" bonus, and all of her abilities are in range. Her spell Grief-shrieken ist just amazing. 

I don't play her as my general, so i can't use her command ability. In my opinion it's not worth missing the generl trait you can choose. Just if you play 2+ units of spirit hosts.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, Bademeister said:

so i can't use her command ability.

I don’t play nighthaunt so I just read her CA... who writes this kind of messy rules?! ...

“return within 12“ of a friendly unit with this CA“

are there way to switch CA within the alliance, or is the phrasing just from hell?

1 hour ago, Honk said:

or is the phrasing just from hell?

There are lots of abilities phrased like that. The intent is actually to make it more clean, not messy. Basically, that ability would read the same for anybody having it, even with more than model in the same army.

But yeah, in itself, it reads pretty clunky.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:32 AM, Mutter said:

There are lots of abilities phrased like that. The intent is actually to make it more clean, not messy. Basically, that ability would read the same for anybody having it, even with more than model in the same army.

But yeah, in itself, it reads pretty clunky.

Yes, I read the same wording elsewhere on another warscroll and I thought "hmm really? there can be more friendly model with his CA on this table?".

But I actually think it is a good manner to avoid ambiguity when the ability mentions distinct models or units one after each other. Let's take the Celestial Lightning Arc of the SC Evocators "...roll 2 dice for each model in this unit..." reads clearer and fairer "...roll 2 dice for each [model in this unit with this ability]..." (I am usually on the Nighthaunt side of the lightning arc :D)

I think a lot of people look at Olynder and try to figure out how they will keep her alive so plan to keep her well back which mitigates most of her power. I feel this is the wrong way to think about it. Rather, she is a must kill for your opponent so use her in a way that your opponent has to direct overkill resources towards her. If she is left alive she is a wrecking ball of MWs and useful spells so your opponent is forced to react. Use this to your advantage. Use her to draw your opponent into a bad position. 

Archived