Chaos - so how does it all work now?

Overread

So a long while back I looked into starting a Demons of Chaos army, because it would jump between 40K and Warhammer Fantasy as at that time that army shared a codex/battletome for each. I never finished it and then Warhammer died and AoS came around and lots has changed.

Now I know that Demons of Chaos are still present as a distinct army in 40K, however it seems that things are very different now in AoS and I'm left a little confused how things go now. Far as I can tell the old allied demons in their own book are gone and instead each Chaos God has their own army standing on its own, with its own infantry and demons all under one force. That's great, more models and more diversity and I'm really looking forward to seeing what GW does with a big Slaanesh revamp (even back when I got started my demonic army was going to be Slaanesh heavy).

However how do alliances and combined forces for chaos work now? Is it easy to ally the forces for, say, Wrath and Rapture together, or does the fact that you have to take one as an ally mean that its forced into the standard allied units limits. Or is there one of the chaos forces that can unite multiple gods under a single banner and thus not be limited by the allied points limits? 

You can play Daemons of Chaos as a Chaos Grand Alliance army.  You get the grand alliance command traits, artifacts, etc.

"the fact that you have to take one as an ally "  I'm pretty confident this is said nowhere.   

Ahh I meant as allies if I were to base it on one of the battletome equipped chaos armies - such as khorne. 

Out of interest how does the Grand Alliance Chaos stand up now? I'd wager the book itself must be getting rather out of date with AoS as of now as the GA books were some of the first way back when AoS was only just getting taken seriously .

You follow the Ally chart like all other armies. Though quite a bit more restrictive than you may think. Tzeentch can't ally with any chaos god. Nurgle meanwhile has no qualms with Khorne or Slaanesh.

So Nurgle Allegiance -> Khorne and Slaanesh allies

Khorne -> Nurgle

Slaanesh -> Nurgle

Tzeentch -> None

However you can do some odd things such as ally in a Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch from Everchosen to anybody since everyone can take them as allies.

Mix chaos is...ok. But mostly for mixed Skaven ATM. The problem is once you go GA Chaos, you lose out on Summoning/Faction Wide effects (Blood Tithes, Cycle of Corruption, Fate Dice, etc) and lose out on spell lores.

Chaos and Death Grand Alliances are definitely the more "obsolete" compared to Order and Destruction given the wide nets of their Allegiances.

You could run Fist of the Everchosen though for Tzeentch+Khorne GA Chaos.

Things are certainly diffrent than the old days - still that it means each god is getting more well rounded armies of their own rather than being a corner of a unified force; is a great thing!

Out of interest I put together this general khorne list and wonder how this would be:

1000 points:

Leader:
Karanak

Troops:
10 Flesh Hounds

10 Flesh Hounds
1 Skull Cannons
1 Skull Cannons
3 Bloodcrushers

Endless Spells:
Chronomantic Cogs

15 minutes ago, Overread said:

Things are certainly diffrent than the old days - still that it means each god is getting more well rounded armies of their own rather than being a corner of a unified force; is a great thing!

Out of interest I put together this general khorne list and wonder how this would be:

1000 points:

Leader:
Karanak

Troops:
10 Flesh Hounds

10 Flesh Hounds
1 Skull Cannons
1 Skull Cannons
3 Bloodcrushers

Endless Spells:
Chronomantic Cogs

Well, you cannot cast Cogs...at all. Khorne does 0 casting, so you can drop that.

I would add at least 1 more hero to potentially summon, or perhaps more bodies, but it at least looks like a place to start. (No idea if Cannons or even Bloodcrushers are SUPER good, but they should at least be workable in a casual game)

2 hours ago, Overread said:

1000 points:

Leader:
Karanak

Troops:
10 Flesh Hounds

10 Flesh Hounds
1 Skull Cannons
1 Skull Cannons
3 Bloodcrushers

Endless Spells:
Chronomantic Cogs

As it stands at the moment, blood crushers and skulls cannons are a bit poor. I would trade the lot in for a blood thirster or blood stoker and blood secrator - you could model them if you want the daemon aesthetic 

Archived