Order Serpentis Models as Order Draconis

Cyric The Mad

Hey there! I was thinking of starting Order Draconis using the dragonlord hosts, I really like the idea of a devastating charge with many bonuses.
The thing is, I don't actually like the order draconis models, but their dark aelven cousins have great models. Do you guys think using Dreadlords for
Dragonlords and Drakespawn knights for Dragon blades would be considered a problem? I am sure it would be fine in local events but how about
some offical tournaments? Thank you!

Long as they are on the right base size you should be fine; that said you might also find that you want to make some converted modifications to try and show what they are and that you're not just taking your Order Serpentis and making them Order Draconis. So you could do little things like give the riders the right shields; change weapons/heads etc... Even the choice of armour colours and paint scheme can help here as the "high" aelves are always quite bright with whites and silvers whilst "dark" aelves muted with greens, blacks, purples etc... 

As for any conversion or counts, at a tournament the only person whose view matters is the TO. So you'd have to contact them in advance to confirm. 

Rather awkward of a switch out, honestly, given that they are both Order armies. Of course, in a casual game, if you are open to your opponent, it certainly could be fine. Some people may not even know the difference, though, so you might not even have problems at all.

But in tournaments? It is definitely awkward unless you really go out of your way to make the Order Serpentis models look like Order Draconis. Sure, any TO might be fine with it, but I sure wouldn't count on a TO being fine with it. But if you know some of the Local TOs, maybe ask them before you dive into an entire army?

I was also tinkering with this idea.  I am also not super fussy on the dragon princes or even the dragon lord. Perhaps use the high elf dragon and bit order the dark elf rider?

Gives you a reason to use the beautiful dreadlord amd sorceress on cold one models. 

I am not a tournament player, but I would be OK with it. 

I don't see why lizards instead of horses is a problem. They are physically about the same size and fit on the same base. Just give the lizard riders some alternate heads, shields, perhaps a weapon and use a paint scheme that makes them look more high than dark aelf. So think of whites, silvers, blues, reds and generally bright colours -- as opposed to darker greens purples, blacks etc....

32 minutes ago, Overread said:

I don't see why lizards instead of horses is a problem. They are physically about the same size and fit on the same base. Just give the lizard riders some alternate heads, shields, perhaps a weapon and use a paint scheme that makes them look more high than dark aelf. So think of whites, silvers, blues, reds and generally bright colours -- as opposed to darker greens purples, blacks etc....

Colours can help immensely. Mixing bits even more so. The only issue is that I don't think from a lore perspective the Drakespawn should be comparable to horses. As it stands, I  think they are weaker rules wise and are therefore more comparable. You'd expect a Drakespawn to tear a warhorse to bits, surely? Not sure the rules currently reflect it. That's a totally different discussion however!

On 12/7/2018 at 12:57 PM, Cyric The Mad said:

Hey there! I was thinking of starting Order Draconis using the dragonlord hosts, I really like the idea of a devastating charge with many bonuses.
The thing is, I don't actually like the order draconis models, but their dark aelven cousins have great models. Do you guys think using Dreadlords for
Dragonlords and Drakespawn knights for Dragon blades would be considered a problem? I am sure it would be fine in local events but how about
some offical tournaments? Thank you!

I personally use a Draconis dragon with a Dreadlord model conversion. I also use a Serpentis dragon too as is. To note - base sizes, bizarrely, are smaller for Serpentis dragon than it is for Draconis. Draconis dragon is on a 120mm. I put my Serpentis ones on 120mm prior to the base size guide, just because I found 105mm to be a bit less stable. I've had to put markers on the base (grasses, skulls etc) to indicate the 15mm difference. 

I would have no issues playing against you, but it would be nice to see effort going in to convert and adapt. 

7 minutes ago, Cyric The Mad said:

Thank you for all of the responses. After some tought, I'll probably go either with acutal models or not at all. I am split between many army choices at the moment. Evil games workshop.

Sometimes when I'm like that what I find helps is to go to each army one by one that I'm interested in. Sit down and on the GW store open up a tab for every model in that army. Then steadily go through each tab and whenever you find a model that you don't find utterly awesome, close the tab.

The idea is to get a feel for what you really like. If you close most of the tabs then you know that you've got more of a feel for the lore and flavour of the army than its visual design. Meanwhile if you close the troops but not the special characters you know that troops are going to be more of a slog, but that you might like them for a few big models/monsters. 

Or you could find that you hardly close any and that you really like most of the faction

Do this for each one and it can give you a more structured sense of what you really like. 

Also keep in mind limits and requirements to field. For example I really love a lot of skaven warmachines, but I really don't want to build hundreds of clanrats (yes I'm aware there are other options, this is "partly" historical in viewpoint). Meanwhile if I really loved greater deamons and only greater deamons that might be another warning to me as its unlikely one could take more than one, maybe two, in most armies. 

Again its about getting a realistic view on things.

Archived