Realm artifacts and not owning malign sorcery

123lac

Let's say I want to use the Ghyrstrike artifact with my Khorne general as it will give +1hit and +1 wound.

But I don't want to buy Malign Sorcery because my Khorne army doesn't cast spells.

Would people expect me to own the book just so I can use the artifact?

I think as long as you have the official wording somewhere (screenshot, pdf etc.) people should be fine with it. If you just show up and say "this item does this" then it might be a bit more awkward just in case the rules need to be clarified at some point.

In most cases at a club I'd expect at least one copy to be floating around. As its pretty basic equipment (just a +1 bonus) it shouldn't need much clarification requiring the book to be opened up. Long as its clear on your army list you should be fine. 

A tournament they might require you to have all source books, but otherwise you should be fine (and you might be able to find a copy on ebay) 

4 hours ago, Overread said:

A tournament they might require you to have all source books, but otherwise you should be fine (and you might be able to find a copy on ebay) 

A question on this, I have most of my books as ebooks from BL and some I've converted to PDF and chopped fluff pages out of so I have less to flick through, is this sort of thing normally acceptable or do you need the original EPUB available?

1 hour ago, Retro said:

A question on this, I have most of my books as ebooks from BL and some I've converted to PDF and chopped fluff pages out of so I have less to flick through, is this sort of thing normally acceptable or do you need the original EPUB available?

Such quick reference material is generally fine, however as its all digital make sure you've got your digital full copies to hand. It's unlikely but some could call you out on it (typically at an event - ergo when you're not playing your local club and friends). Generally as long as you've a full reference to show to prove you've not doctored anything its fine and everyone gets along. Most of the time people won't question things and if they do its likely if you've pulled some tough ability that can seem unfair to an opponent who might not know your army well. 

Interesting point this one. I mostly buy the physical books and am loathe to pay for them again as ebooks. If I played Beasts of Chaos, all I'd need to turn up to an event would be the rules booklet and my battletome. If I played mixed order with some Soulsnare shackles, I might need the core book for my allegiance abilities, Malign Sorcery book and the General's Handbook. Starting to be a quite a bit to lug around.

I used to make a summary sheet in 8th Edition that contained clear and concise descriptions of all the rules I needed to remember. This sheet did the same thing as war scroll cards  do now. I think in most cases an event would have access to the books above so people could avoid having to bring their heavy books just for a few rules.

This all said, if I want to use something from an expansion, even just a little bit, I always buy the expansion. I can afford to do this and I like to do this to support the game. 

@Waiyuren @Overread

Thanks guys, if end up going to a tournament I can always make space on my phone/tablet for my original purchases I suppose. It's just such a pain flicking through 100s of pages to find the bit that says "this unit" or something equally pointless haha.

I've also thought of typing up a quick reference guide too, just a list of common questions about my shenanigans and the book/document that clarifies it and the page number.

Archived