500pt Nighthaunt : how to?

Knighthound

Hi all! 

Recently I have joined the world of Warhammer AoS and chose to start a Nighthaunt collection. I own 1770p worth of army, but decided to start playing with 500p to practice the rules. Tonight I played 3 matches against friends and lost all of them. What I noticed is that being completely new to the AoS rules made me kind of drown in them. I had a hard time making decisions, choosing tactics and even thinking about all the rules that are within my grasp.  Therefore I would like to ask all of you what my best pick&play would be to practice NH's playstyle, considering 500p play. My enemies are mainly Daughters of Khaine, Idoneth Deepkin and Karadron. 

My current collection exists of the Soul wars box half and previous purchases :

- Leaders Olynder, Kurdoss, mKoS, GoS, Lord Exe, 3 Spirit Torment, Vampire Lord (ally) 

Units: 30 chainrasp, 4 chainghasts, 8 glavewraith stalkers, 5 grimghast (which are not playable in official play?) 

Looking forward to all your tips and tricks! Buying a lot of different units is not preferred but I'm okay with expanding with a unit of Spirit Hosts for example! That's a relatively cheap one :)

Grtngs, Knighthound (yes, pun intended) 

Rules wise I would suggest some sort of escalation mini campaign where you introduce more complex rules at each stage, so start with the basics, movement magic etc for a small game. Then add the next tier of rules. I’m sure the core book has that in, but if I’m wrong, grab a getting started with AoS magazine as that has it set up like that to introduce you in stages till you get your head around it

18 minutes ago, Rockythedog1 said:

Rules wise I would suggest some sort of escalation mini campaign where you introduce more complex rules at each stage, so start with the basics, movement magic etc for a small game. Then add the next tier of rules. I’m sure the core book has that in, but if I’m wrong, grab a getting started with AoS magazine as that has it set up like that to introduce you in stages till you get your head around it

Thanks Rocky! So basically the main rules are okay for me, but the quantity of all the possible synergy play in my army makes it hard to make decisions: which units to front line, which units to charge etc. So I might want to rephrase my question to 'How to play Nighthaunt specific in a 500p match'. I couldn't find any army lists on the internet, hence my forumpost :)

First, welcome
Second, play 1000 points, it's way more fun and can give you better representation of how game plays, also 500 points is not existing format so why play it when you can play skirmish or start pass to glory?
Trird, make notes and follow them throughout the game instead of trying to memorise every single rule you have, even after almost 2 years in AoS and 7 year of GW wargaming in general I do this to get better faster with my new Flesh Eater Courts army
Forth, there is very little you can do without expanding into 100ish models for 2000 points games and staying competetive, instead of being push-over. And you will need to stay competetive cuz DoK and ID are both strong factions. I'm not nighthaunt player myself so instead of suggesting lists I'd suggest you to read through nighthaunt thread.

P.S. 
5 grimghasts will not count towards battalion minimal strenght and to field them in the first place you have to spend the amount of points as for min size unit (of 10)

6 hours ago, christophe said:

And Nighthaunt doesn't shine below 1500points. It could explain some of your problems.... (you really need your GoS and ST and max unit so they don't die before you replainish them)

Yes this is exactly what I felt! I had no chance of replenishing my army at all! I will be going to GW store tomorrow to talk with the owner about army lists too. But definitely am still wondering about which core units are doing what in your lower bracket army lists. :)

Archived