A new gaming venue in London - Bad Moon Cafe!

hughwyeth

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2018 at 4:06 PM, Marc Wilson said:

Looks great, it may have been you I was chatting to on Facebook. A contingent of South London Legion are coming down next monday for a day-long play date. Those Angel guys might beg, fruitlessly, to differ, but we're the true AoS Kings of Brighton

Can't wait!

Marc, we don't disagree that SLL are the AoS King of Brighton, but Brighton isn't London. And SLL are not Londoners. nice of you guys to travel all the way to the new venue in london though, much appreciated

I think the confusion arises because in aos1 a club only needed to have all its members within 15 miles of Trafalgar Square to be in London not wholly within as with aos2. 

Of course the new defintion of wholly within may cause some problems for team wales at 6 nations and for donal’s continued membership of team Northern Ireland..

Was really glad to see how well the launch seemed to go,  there was a really good atmosphere.  The pizza and beer were good and the beer wasnt crazy expensive even if it hadn't been 2 for 1.

Hopefully as things get in swing people will use the the ample gaming table space to bring their own armies to play, as it seemed quite focused on people shoppin and playing the other non-GW board games - sure word will spread that such a big space is available

I just played the excellent  family-killing card game Gloom in the corner because I don't actually strictly know how to play AOS yet. Will certainly let friends know it's there. 👍

8 hours ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Was really glad to see how well the launch seemed to go,  there was a really good atmosphere.  The pizza and beer were good and the beer wasnt crazy expensive even if it hadn't been 2 for 1.

Hopefully as things get in swing people will use the the ample gaming table space to bring their own armies to play, as it seemed quite focused on people shoppin and playing the other non-GW board games - sure word will spread that such a big space is available

I just played the excellent  family-killing card game Gloom in the corner because I don't actually strictly know how to play AOS yet. Will certainly let friends know it's there. 👍

Thanks for your post! We sort of predicted the board gaming area would be popular from day 1, and it was! The 6x4 gaming area will take time for us to build a community around before we get consistent attendance. We'll be organising frequent 1-day tournaments for people to attend for example- first one in January for AoS if you'd like to attend! The idea of these smaller 1 day tournaments is that they're relaxed, newbie friendly events for everyone to have fun!

56 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Thanks for your post! We sort of predicted the board gaming area would be popular from day 1, and it was! The 6x4 gaming area will take time for us to build a community around before we get consistent attendance. We'll be organising frequent 1-day tournaments for people to attend for example- first one in January for AoS if you'd like to attend! The idea of these smaller 1 day tournaments is that they're relaxed, newbie friendly events for everyone to have fun!

What day/conditions will that be in January?

I have Warhammer World next door but this looks like it would be worth the trip coupled with a visit to London haha 

Still not decided- I think 3 pre-chosen scenarios and realms to make it easier for newer players- realm artefacts allowed. We have 15 tables, so could host up to 30 players, but after 3 games we'd have 4 players on 2 wins so the tie-breaker would be important! Still not certain on weighting for paint jobs/sportsmanship etc, but ultimately it's supposed to be a relaxed tournament so it may not matter that much.  I'll be posting info here and on the FB group and our soon-to-launch site will have all the info on all our tournaments.  It'll be a saturday or sunday- likely saturday as we have restricted trading hours on sunday.

Popped into this venue - today - it really does look excellent inside and has a good bar and coffee shop area and 15 fantastic tables to play on. 

Im quite hyped to get some games in there tomorrow. 

Hugh/will/Boris - can you confirm the opening hours this week? Is it 8-11? Or 10-11? And what days are you open over   Xmas / new year?

4 hours ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

I think will or Boris  said 8am opening so I may  pop down earlier than 10  for some morning hammer if that’s true  / have a table booked at 10 currently ?

Hey there! Yes we're open at 0800 tomorrow (as is currently the plan weekdays and saturdays!).  For xmas/NY, we're closed Xmas day, boxing day, NY eve and NY day. 

Popped in this afternoon . Really impressive space, well done @hughwyeth, very impressive!

didn’t get to try a pizza sadly but hopefully will be back in the new year.

did laugh though as there was a group of blokes playing on one of the tables, and  pretty sure the whole time I was there their game seemed to solely involve looking up rules, arguing (in a friendly way) over them and cross referencing FAQs, core books and supplements. What a weird hobby we have...

22 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Popped in this afternoon . Really impressive space, well done @hughwyeth, very impressive!

didn’t get to try a pizza sadly but hopefully will be back in the new year.

did laugh though as there was a group of blokes playing on one of the tables, and  pretty sure the whole time I was there their game seemed to solely involve looking up rules, arguing (in a friendly way) over them and cross referencing FAQs, core books and supplements. What a weird hobby we have...

That's great! Shame i missed you- I've got a full time job i do in the day so usually only make it down evenings and weekends. Look forward to seeing you in the new year!

Oh wow! This is amazing!! If only I knew about it when I was in london on the weekend 😮

I'm gonna have to make an effort to come down sometime soon. Just need to either convince some friends to come down (and drive me) for games or convince my girlfriend to try out the hobby next time I'm round hers (she's london based) XD

Do you guys do a pre-book a table in advance thing or is it just turn down and grab what's available?

1 hour ago, Lightbox said:

Oh wow! This is amazing!! If only I knew about it when I was in london on the weekend 😮

I'm gonna have to make an effort to come down sometime soon. Just need to either convince some friends to come down (and drive me) for games or convince my girlfriend to try out the hobby next time I'm round hers (she's london based) XD

Do you guys do a pre-book a table in advance thing or is it just turn down and grab what's available?

Yes we do! Check out our table booking page:

https://www.badmooncafe.co.uk/table-bookings/

You have to pay for the whole table (£12) when booked, but the idea is it's £6 per person. It's free and first come first serve weekdays till 17.00 (when we're least busy, almost guaranteed to get a table) then there's the payable evening slot. Weekend days have multiple slots to book too. 

Just now, hughwyeth said:

Yes we do! Check out our table booking page:

https://www.badmooncafe.co.uk/table-bookings/

You have to pay for the whole table (£12) when booked, but the idea is it's £6 per person. It's free and first come first serve weekdays till 17.00 (when we're least busy, almost guaranteed to get a table) then there's the payable evening slot. Weekend days have multiple slots to book too. 

Are all the tables just for 1v1 or do you have any that might be big enough for a 2v2 game or so? Considering getting some of the local club down for a day trip sometime and wondering how easy it'd be for us to do multiplayer games.

35 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Are all the tables just for 1v1 or do you have any that might be big enough for a 2v2 game or so? Considering getting some of the local club down for a day trip sometime and wondering how easy it'd be for us to do multiplayer games.

Hey- the tables are 6x4 with surface either side for books, dice tray etc, so can't be joined up into continuous playing surfaces. Not sure if 6x4 is large enough for 4p?

2 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Hey- the tables are 6x4 with surface either side for books, dice tray etc, so can't be joined up into continuous playing surfaces. Not sure if 6x4 is large enough for 4p?

Ahh cheers good to know. If we do decide we want to try any 4 player we can keep it to 1000 per person or something small for space purposes (if that's cool with you guys for us to try). But regardless I'll keep in mind best is 1v1 :)  Are all the tables preset with terrain or is it helpful for us to bring some?

Also sorry for the barrage of questions XD

Archived