Named characters and command traits

Tibus367

Question

I understand that named characters cannot have command traits as they already have their own set of special abilities.  Does that mean if I have a named character in my army that I am expected to make someone else my general in order to get those command traits in my army?  It seems paradoxical that a named character would be in my army and NOT be the general.  

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tibus367 said:

I understand that named characters cannot have command traits as they already have their own set of special abilities.  Does that mean if I have a named character in my army that I am expected to make someone else my general in order to get those command traits in my army?  It seems paradoxical that a named character would be in my army and NOT be the general.  

That is correct - if you take a named character as your general you would not have access to any command traits other than what is printed on the named character's warscroll. If you wanted access to any allegiance specific command traits you'd have to make a non named character your general. 

On 12/5/2018 at 1:52 PM, Tibus367 said:

It is definitely strange but I think it's just an artifact of the 2.0 transition.  GW is doing things to address it.  Some of the command traits (Volturus, Morathi, Archaon) have the addition of "If this model is your general..." to offset the weirdness.

Or you could be like death and have it that if you want to take the named guys, they HAVE to be your general.

I imagine that over time this weirdness will be addressed by continued omission of command abilities for named characters that aren't your general.  

Or you could just go fluffy and say that while the models are tough and battle hardened, they suck at military tactics 😂

Archived