Legion of Nagash armylists

Saikological

Hey all, 

As ive just started, im not really sure on what a decent army should look like. At this point, im just painting models i like and slowly building skellies, but i think it might be good to have a general direction of what a 2000pt army should look like. 

It would be great if you, my fellow death players, can help me out a bit by showing your army lists for inspiration. 

Im looking for skellie based army at first with some vampires as leaders. Might buy Arkhan as a leader lateron though. Maybe with some ghoul or nighthaunt as allies?

Any tips? Good army builders? 

Thanks in advance!

You've made a tall order my friend, but I'll give it a go. We have a few different builds we can go to in our book that will reliably win games, and many have that skeleton and vampire structure you spoke of. The list I use when I want to run some skellies is:

Legion of sacrament

Vampire lord on zombie dragon-mastery of death, vile transference

Vampire lord on zombie dragon- ethereal amulet, pinions

Necromancer overwhelming dread

Necromancer fading vigour

40 skellies

40 skellies

5 wolves

20 grimghast

If you want to avoid the ghosts, 40 more skeletons cost the same, but lack speed of the grimghasts. Maybe replace with some black knights for the theme? Anyways, ethereal dragon and grimghast run up and smack your opponent turn one, tying up major threats while the rest of your legion takes control of the board. Your necromancers cast debuffs to help these units stick around. If the grims die, you just summon them back. By the time the grims and vampire dies, your opponent should be too neutered to push you off of objectives, or with too little time left in the game for it to matter. 

You can play a lot of different lists, but a core of a vampire on dragon and 40 skeletons is never going to do you wrong. Most lists I play start with that, and I just add what I feel like playing that day until I reach the points I want. Drop a vampire for arkhan, run more wolves, do more ghosts, do 3 dragons... lots of options.

8 hours ago, Saikological said:

what a decent army should look like.

It is a pizza question...everything goes, except pineapples !!!

2432745F-951D-4277-9335-2B491C7CF7E0.png

Totally missing the point of skellis and vampires 😅

Last game was:

FF1735AE-A254-4FE8-A2BB-D618E256F5CA.png

That was hilarious the terrorgheist with the coven in ambush, necro with the skellis as bait in a terrain feature (3+ save)

you see some interesting lists out there, but sadly tweaked for tournaments. Bloodknights or morghast are almost not fielded at all, but are totally valid in friendly play (if you come from a rich family)

Awesome guys, thanks a lot! At least it gives me something to think about. I assume dire wolves are the best "cavalry"? Use those instead of the black knights or hexwraiths? 

I read somewhere that skellies are better than zombies, as they do the same but cost less. Whats your take on that?

Skellies are undoubtedly better. They get a save, which is decent against no rend attacks, and even better in a legion of night, and have many more attacks. A full unit of spears can get 120 attacks, and can be boosted with wight king or vampire lord command ability, plus danse macabre to pile in and attack twice. They are very good. 

Dire wolves play a very different role than cavalry. They are fast objective grabbers, annoyances, cheap battleline fillers, and can screen decently. They are just very efficient for their points and have the combination of disposability and speed we dont have anywhere else; you get one or the other in this army typically.

I think theres still a place for cavalry in a death army. I like black knights, I just dont typically have the units to adequately support them in my lists, so are dropped regularly. I have not tried hexwraiths in quite a while.

And then @Graywater was faster...

I personally think wolves are highly effective fast flankers, skirmishers and fill up battleline nicely. The classic .40 skelli block with necromancer and 2x10 wolves, just nice.

if you want the big horde 2x40 or even 3x40 is possible and with legion of sacrament even a bit fast XD

cavallery is possible, deathmarch list with 15 black knights has scored in the scene (ianob placed...don’t know, 3-5) 

seen blood knights perform on mini wargaming (luka against kharadron) but maybe not highly competitive, still...

in the zombie vs skelli debate skellis crush the poor zombers, but a .60cal Block with necro and corpse cart are still valid with a huge footprint on the board.

Also the double .40 skelli block is the try hard option, best with 30 grimghasts. zombers are much more opponent friendly, at least on paper, till his units are stuck and get punched in the face

Honk raises a good point. How competitive you wish to make the list will really determine what builds are a viable option for you. Do you know what you are looking to get out of this army? Looking to go win tournaments, or just something fun to play at the local store with your friends?

Good info!

For now i just want a good but fun army to play with friends and maybe in a store. Lateron i think i want to get more competative, so i guess its good to keep this in the back of my head. 

For now i have a few skellies, some vamps, some necro's and  even a zombie dragon. I think im going to focus on more skellies and some wolves first, to make a decent horde and combine this with some awesome models for painting fun. 

Ok cool. So if I'm looking to build a list for what you're describing, I'd do something like:

Vampire lord on zombie dragon

Necromancer

Necromancer

40 skellies

5 dogs

5 dogs

That's 1060 points. It's a solid start that takes care of your hero and battleline requirements, but has plenty of space for adding in whatever suits your interests.

Just one more question. At first i was thinking about buying that big battleforce box. I like the models and thought it would be a good way to start. Its on discount now too, which is great. 

However, after reading this and some other topics, the box is great for mini's, but not really for usefulness. Whats your take on that? 

I really like the morghast and the boss on monster, but on the other hand, i have a zombie dragon  (with a wight lord or vampire lord) and like 35 old metal grave guard.  Could use Mannfred and place him on the dragon though? All sets are at discount locally, maybe another box is better? The Malignants box for the coven throne and some knight? What do you think?

If you like the models and could see yourself using them, then go for it. If it's on discount, then it's probably the same cost as if you got the morghast and a start collecting for the mortarch. The rest of the stuff is free. You were already talking about getting arkhan, and itd give you a quick boost in skeleton numbers. If you are just looking at playing locally/casually for now, you can ask if it's cool to run some of the grave guard models as regular skeleton warriors to help boost numbers. I think its still a great deal for value.

6 hours ago, Saikological said:

Just one more question. At first i was thinking about buying that big battleforce box. I like the models and thought it would be a good way to start. Its on discount now too, which is great. 

However, after reading this and some other topics, the box is great for mini's, but not really for usefulness. Whats your take on that? 

I really like the morghast and the boss on monster, but on the other hand, i have a zombie dragon  (with a wight lord or vampire lord) and like 35 old metal grave guard.  Could use Mannfred and place him on the dragon though? All sets are at discount locally, maybe another box is better? The Malignants box for the coven throne and some knight? What do you think?

If you are just starting out the old Battleforce box isn't a bad deal. The units you'll get aren't bad and they look bad ass. I would argue that the Death Battleforce box was and still is a good deal in terms of useful models when comparing them to other ones like the IDK box. 

Archived