Glottkin: Strategies, tips, play styles

Blackspine

Ahoy all.

Recently thinking of adding this big-boy to the army and wondered on people's thoughts of what he brings to the table and their experiences.

Feel free to share ideas on:
Synergies

army composition with him

Play styles

His role in your army

or anything related to this mega-beefy!

The marauder blob-n'-buff is a great one and well known, but I'm curious on other's thoughts.

Thanks!

You can go combat-heavy with the Harbinger alongside him for the 5+ ward save Command Ability. Maybe bring Festus along for the extra healing (although he tends to lag behind).

Marauder brick with his +1 attacks and Fleshy Abundance is great when it works, but keep in mind the CV7 spells are 45% chance to cast and not be unbound.  In one game I deleted Alarielle in the first combat thanks to Blades of Putrefaction. In another, I failed Glott's casts four rounds in a row.

I tend to play the Glottkin conservatively as a support piece. He can buff and dish some damage, then run away and heal. But I think I under-utilize him as a result. Without the Harby save, he goes down fast. My general approach now is to treat his spells as a bonus, not a feature.

• Like 1

Amazing model. Fun to build, paint, and play.  Definitely don't underestimate how squishy they are though!  4+ save without any extra mitigation is just really easy for a smaller unit to tear down.   Leave your glottkin to the sides or behind some chaff.  Charge in only when you can do so safely without fear of being counter charged or surrounded (come in on a flank where only 1 model can hit you back).   

I play him even if I'm not playing a unit that benefits heavily from his command ability (plague monks with staves are great with it though!!)

• Like 1

Thanks all!

I see the big guy mostly as a buffing machine and caster. He can do some work from behind a 1" wall of marauders/warriors.

I've played Thanquol, so I know just how fast wounds can melt away. (don't play thanquol. play 3 stormfiends with throwers and take a caster..)

Good points made, esp on brining him in on fringes of combat. Ideally, he'd be supported on flanks by the true hammers/ anvils. His bravery test/ leadership is too good not to use.

Thanks!