Crypt Flayer into Varghulf?

ierthling

Hi all - Thinking about trying to convert a crypt flayer (or two!) into a Varghulf Courtier, and wondering if anyone has tried it. My scheme is to use one of the more bat-like heads, and green stuff a bunch of fur around the neck, chest, and back. With a paint job that made the model very distinct from a normal crypt flayer, do you all think that would be enough? Anyone had success turning a flayer into a Varghulf? Thanks!

Thanks Kyriakin - I like the idea, although I do feel like adding fur to a model with wings is a lot easier than adding wings to a model with fur. Mainly though I’ll just have some spare flayers available for conversion, so I’m hoping to work with that, but if I decide to buy something else I’ll keep the skin wolves in mind!

16 minutes ago, ierthling said:

Thanks Kyriakin - I like the idea, although I do feel like adding fur to a model with wings is a lot easier than adding wings to a model with fur. Mainly though I’ll just have some spare flayers available for conversion, so I’m hoping to work with that, but if I decide to buy something else I’ll keep the skin wolves in mind!

Oh yea, I forgot that the GW Vargulf has wings. In other stories, they tend not to.

If you’re concerned about using only GW models and if you are skilled with green stuff (not like me T.T)...

take an horror with an big club or the #gravestonetotheface and instead of fitting the courtier little wings, resculpt for a pair of flayer wings...

Uvatha, that model is sick!!! I do think, though, I want to stick to GW if I can. Honk, I haven't actually gotten my FEC order in yet, so I'm not completely sure what the sprues look like. Do the horrors and flayers have totally different bodies? Somehow I was thinking they were the same body with different heads and arms. You're gonna have to explain what gravestone to the face means to me, but whatever it is, I want in! :)

Just now, ierthling said:

Uvatha, that model is sick!!! I do think, though, I want to stick to GW if I can. Honk, I haven't actually gotten my FEC order in yet, so I'm not completely sure what the sprues look like. Do the horrors and flayers have totally different bodies? Somehow I was thinking they were the same body with different heads and arms. You're gonna have to explain what gravestone to the face means to me, but whatever it is, I want in! :)

Horrors/flayers are identical, except their arms, which come in 1 or 2 parts, it depends.
AS for gravestone, he was talking about this bad boyÐаÑÑинки по запÑоÑÑ crypt horrors

Nice! Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking of. I'm not a green stuff master but I think I can manage some fur, and I'll just paint the wings differently from my flayer wings (and maybe play with the posing a little). In theory it should all work! Thanks folks. And if anyone out there has actually done this I'd still love to see an example!

4 hours ago, ierthling said:

You're gonna have to explain what gravestone to the face means to me,

Look at that gravestone @XReN has posted... and then on a six it deals 3 damage!!! To the face!!!

263C830C-364D-4CA5-99D4-AF9971C1747B.jpeg

And there are those little wings on top, how an infernal courtier is supposed to be... but if one is skilled enough to meddle with green stuff

95DAC3C6-BE24-45FB-831B-785FF400BC40.jpeg

Maybeee those wings, the upward ones probably won’t fit but the downward ones can be positioned above the original horror shoulders...

On 12/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, ierthling said:

Hi all - Thinking about trying to convert a crypt flayer (or two!) into a Varghulf Courtier, and wondering if anyone has tried it. My scheme is to use one of the more bat-like heads, and green stuff a bunch of fur around the neck, chest, and back. With a paint job that made the model very distinct from a normal crypt flayer, do you all think that would be enough? Anyone had success turning a flayer into a Varghulf? Thanks!

This is one of things on my project list. I really think all you need to do is get the slightly bigger base that the varghulf comes with and then just use the bits that come in the varghiest/crypt horror kit and mix them up a bit. Reposition the wings to be out stretched, add a bunch of the extra spikes and horns that come in the kit. The bigger base is important though. It will make it " counts as " legal

Archived