Beasts of Chaos Curious? I have some questions.

Kamose

Hello fellow Chaos monstrosities!  I've been playing Sigmar since the game came out and have been staunchly in the Order camp (Seraphon and Free Peoples).  Since the BoC  book arrived, I've been having funny feelings...down there...in my soul.  I think I may be falling for Chaos!  😳  I find the Beasts intriguing and want to learn more about them.  So I have some questions:

1.  What's the general opinion on the BoC lore?  Original?  Interesting? Lacking (I play Seraphon...I know what that's like)?  I'm particularly interested in the idea of Beasts that do not worship any of the Chaos gods!  

2. How many play styles are possible in BoC?  The Gors seem like a horde, melee army.  Is it possible to run monster-heavy or mixed monsters and infantry?  Outside of Tzaangors, is a shooting army viable? 

3. I love the models for the endless spells and the herdstone!  Are they worth bringing or are they generally uninteresting?

4. How's the Start Collecting box in terms of monetary value and, more importantly, play value?  Any advice on first purchases?

I know Tzaangors are pretty good but I'm definitely not interested in them (I've painted my friend's Tzaangors and I found out that I hate painting Tzaangors).  I haven't bought anything yet and want to learn more before I dive in, so any advice would be appreciated!  

PS:  This would be the first time I've ever played a Chaos army in either 40k or AoS, so its a big milestone!  🐮

2 hours ago, Kamose said:

Hello fellow Chaos monstrosities!  I've been playing Sigmar since the game came out and have been staunchly in the Order camp (Seraphon and Free Peoples).  Since the BoC  book arrived, I've been having funny feelings...down there...in my soul.  I think I may be falling for Chaos!  😳  I find the Beasts intriguing and want to learn more about them.  So I have some questions:

1.  What's the general opinion on the BoC lore?  Original?  Interesting? Lacking (I play Seraphon...I know what that's like)?  I'm particularly interested in the idea of Beasts that do not worship any of the Chaos gods!  

2. How many play styles are possible in BoC?  The Gors seem like a horde, melee army.  Is it possible to run monster-heavy or mixed monsters and infantry?  Outside of Tzaangors, is a shooting army viable? 

3. I love the models for the endless spells and the herdstone!  Are they worth bringing or are they generally uninteresting?

4. How's the Start Collecting box in terms of monetary value and, more importantly, play value?  Any advice on first purchases?

I know Tzaangors are pretty good but I'm definitely not interested in them (I've painted my friend's Tzaangors and I found out that I hate painting Tzaangors).  I haven't bought anything yet and want to learn more before I dive in, so any advice would be appreciated!  

PS:  This would be the first time I've ever played a Chaos army in either 40k or AoS, so its a big milestone!  🐮

1. In current fluff, BoC are literal agents of anarchy. Pillaging and Destroying for the dark gods. Not too different from the norm, though apparently there were neutral beastmen in the past, but Sigmar got all mad at anything not human, dwarf, or elf so he killed them! 

Interestingly it is the norm for Beasts to not follow any god (except for tzaangors for obvious reasons). Rather they do it for the combined will of chaos, with beasts that follow a particular god to be actually seen as an outsider.

Some Great Frays even dedicate themselves or try to emulate some legendary beasts like Morghul (who became a quasi god, kind of not sure how just how powerful he became)

2. You can go in any way you wish really. Dark Walkers with mass ambushing bullgors/dragon ogors, chariot hordes, hammer anvil strategies, attrition, etc. Though there are particular builds that are more favorable in a competitive setting.

However it does seem that Beasts aren't Khorne 2.0 (otherwise you'd be playing...well khorne!) . Take advantage of the increased mobility from ambushing, the summoning (though somewhat unreliable if you roll bad), and particular battalions.

As for range, ungor raiders can  dish out a lot of arrows, often turn 1-2 since they can ambush. Combine this with a character armed with the Brayblast Trumptet for +1 to Hit, and a 40 man unit could possibly massacre a key unit (though 40 men is 320 pts so they better!). Hilariously can be combined with the Desolation Beastherd battalion where your attacks can possibly generate more attacks.

3. Well you have to take the Herdstone. Theres no cost attached to it and it always helps your army. The spells I'm not too experienced with, though the crows are obviously a great choice for bravery bombs (and useless against high bravery). The horn is quite a nifty ability but it does take time to set up, so you might want to try to flood the enemy with magic to limit the chances of dispelling. Taurus is neat when it works (MW machine and can stall out enemy attacks), but at 100pts it will be concentrated to dispelling. In comparison it is the same cost as a Cockatrice.

4. The SC box is excellent. You will likely have a bray shaman or two in nearly any list. Bestigors are one of Beasts best units, especially if they're battleline. Ungors are cheap fodder as either Battleline taxes, range harassers, and/or sacrifice victims. The Ghorgon is certainly a beast in combat, but has to survive to get there since it is a very obvious target. Cygors are interesting, though even with their unbind option and rock throwing, other people usually find mixed results.

As far as future purchases, well it is dependent on how you want to go about. Maybe a chimera or two for a true monster bash. Or a Dragon Ogor Shaggoth for a beefy wizard with some unique spells. Or a boat load of bestigors to flood the battlefield. Even maybe 10 razorgors as single shot organic missiles!

Sorry for the scatterbrain response, typing this up late at night but felt like doing it! Maybe for more comprehensive chatter browse the the BoC discussion topic.

6 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

legendary beasts like Morghul (who became a quasi god, kind of not sure how just how powerful he became)

Do you mean Morghur? If so, he's one of my favourite characters from the World That Was, but I had no idea he underwent some kind of apotheosis. Do you know which End Times book I would find that in?

36 minutes ago, Roark said:

Do you mean Morghur? If so, he's one of my favourite characters from the World That Was, but I had no idea he underwent some kind of apotheosis. Do you know which End Times book I would find that in?

As far as I know it wasn't mentioned there, its just the new status quo that a lot of beastmen worship him as the god of mutation. One of the factions (Gavespawn) is Morghur affiliated.

57 minutes ago, Roark said:

As far as i remember he wasn’t. but he was chaos born. And reborn. Allariel’s nemesis in a way every battle cost her while Morghur keeps being reborn. (‘Funnily’ enough from a human mother and the baby mutates through birth) Chaos trails in his wake causing everything to mutate. 

Thats why beastmen in the old world already saw him as Chaos and Anarchy made flesh. And the gavespawn still worships him as such as his ‘ essence persisted, and through cracks in the veil between realities has seeped steadily into the wilds of the Mortal Realm’

Thanks for the info!

7 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

1. In current fluff, BoC are literal agents of anarchy. Pillaging and Destroying for the dark gods. Not too different from the norm, though apparently there were neutral beastmen in the past, but Sigmar got all mad at anything not human, dwarf, or elf so he killed them! 

Interestingly it is the norm for Beasts to not follow any god (except for tzaangors for obvious reasons). Rather they do it for the combined will of chaos, with beasts that follow a particular god to be actually seen as an outsider.

Some Great Frays even dedicate themselves or try to emulate some legendary beasts like Morghul (who became a quasi god, kind of not sure how just how powerful he became)

I love the idea of neutral Beastmen!  I need to read up on this.  From what I've gathered on various podcasts, beastmen seem to be a natural part of the Mortal Realms and they've been there since before Sigmar.  They predate the gods and are trying to return the realms to a primeval state.  They are the passionate, highly proactive Luddites of Age of Sigmar!  🐮

I may need to pick up the book today and dig deeper!

3 hours ago, Roark said:

Yea as I mentioned it was late at night, my typing fingers go all wacky!

I think fluffwise have to wait for a BoC centric book from BL....if that happens at all! I can't remember how many they got in WFB.

Archived