Starting Seraphon

Palaven

I have a friend who is looking to get into the hobby and hes really taken to the ascetic of the Seraphon. I was thinking about getting him the battletome, but with the newest Ghbs is the battletome that relevant? Would like to hear some Seraphon player's opinions on the battletome and maybe what a good starting set may be?

If he likes the Seraphon aesthetic, then he’s got good taste!

For gameplay, the battletome is, as of right now, only actually useful if he wants to run battalions.  So many of the warscrolls have errata, particularly due to changes from AoS 2.0, that the rules in there aren’t worth the cost. 

That said, if he’s into the lore, that’s all in the book. It’s dependent on your buddy’s preference.

As a tome owner, I actually wouldn’t recommend it right now, personally. 

As for a starting force, it’s very dependent on what about the aesthetic impressed your friend. If he likes the big dinosaurs, the new battalion box would be an amazing acquisition. A Start Collecting box is solid if he wants to run a Saurus-heavy list, but I doubt you’ll find a lot of players recommending Saurus Knights as a unit. 

The battalions have some errata and FAQ too.  I wouldn't bother with it these days, because it's so goobed up that I'd have to think they'd fix it eventually.  Just use the warscrolls and memorize whatever battalion the army is built around.  

As mentioned above, I think the battleforce box is by far the best way to start out.  The start collecting is still a good deal, but many seraphon never use any of those units.  HOWEVER, I would like to sing the praises of Saurus Knights.  You need three battleline units and of those options, unless you want max unit sized blobs you are either going skinks or saurus knights.  I love skinks, have 120 of them, but now that they've lost their max unit size discount I find myself taking 5 knights instead of 10 skinks as the battleline "tax".  Skinks are 30 points less per battleline, yes, but in groups of ten they only hold objectives and provide chaff (which is something worthwhile sure) up until someone comes to fight them off of it.  Knights can hold their own vs other small units of objective holders for only 30 points more.  

2 hours ago, DINOSTAR said:

I would like to sing the praises of Saurus Knights.  You need three battleline units and of those options, unless you want max unit sized blobs you are either going skinks or saurus knights.  I love skinks, have 120 of them, but now that they've lost their max unit size discount I find myself taking 5 knights instead of 10 skinks as the battleline "tax".  Skinks are 30 points less per battleline, yes, but in groups of ten they only hold objectives and provide chaff (which is something worthwhile sure) up until someone comes to fight them off of it.  Knights can hold their own vs other small units of objective holders for only 30 points more.  

And here I thought it couldn’t be done... well played, sir. 

For new seraphon player, if he really decide to go into playing AOS rather just pick several models to paint, two box of battleforce with extra hq and engines are the most economic way to build a 2000 army. If just playing 1000 points, one box of battleforce is enough with some extra hq and engine. Start collecting is  a good way to go with the saurus list, but it seems  not so good as it was after AOS 2.0 has been released. 

Archived