Most Defensive Army?

EchoHavoc

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new army to start playing.

Looking to use this army in 2019 as my tournament army. 

What I'm after is something super defensive. That can camp objectives and take some serious punishment. Whilst dishing out some pain at the same time.

I'm used to play ironjawz, running forward and smashing everything but not really caring about objectives. 

What would you guys recommend? Any faction any army not bothered at all. 

5 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

You’re probably looking at Fyreslayers, Maggotkin or a stormcast variation. 

However i must warn you that these types of army can be slow to play if you focus on being defensive and you may not get through a full five turns.  

Best is to makes the most of the defensiveness but work in offensive parts to your army too. 

Cheers for the advice. I was thinking one of these might be the way to go. 

13 minutes ago, EchoHavoc said:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new army to start playing.

Looking to use this army in 2019 as my tournament army. 

What I'm after is something super defensive. That can camp objectives and take some serious punishment. Whilst dishing out some pain at the same time.

I'm used to play ironjawz, running forward and smashing everything but not really caring about objectives. 

What would you guys recommend? Any faction any army not bothered at all. 

Depends.

what exactly does the word defensive mean to you?

is it a horde protecting your hero’s/elite units, or something more like a very good save/aftersave (very good Armour) etc.

Well, Sylvaneth can be tanky under the right circumstances. Dryads (in units with more than 12 models, with tla’s command abillity, and inside a wyldwood) has +3 save, rerolls 1 and -1 to hit. Treelords are also quite tanky. No defence vs mortal wounds though. 

Oh, and the entire army is very mobile (sorry, your opponent is in another forest!), while other tanky armies tend to be slower. 

In other words; Sylvaneth is quite good at playing for the objective. 

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Depends.

what exactly does the word defensive mean to you?

is it a horde protecting your hero’s/elite units, or something more like a very good save/aftersave (very good Armour) etc.

Defending objectives and key units. While my key units dish out some damage. 

I’m thinking stormcast. You can teleport into forward objectives. Have enough long range options for support those forward units. And has a bit more flexibility and choices then fyreslayers. 

Death (re-summoning all your casualties to keep objectives counts as defensive right?), nurgle or Sylvaneth seem cool options as well 

Gitmob Grots! Hundreds of them. Killy when the shaman's spell goes off on hordes of bows, and artillery / wolves give you something fun to do other than just sit hordes on objectives and get slowly whittled down.

Shame a lot of the models are dated / expensive, and unlikely to destroy all in front of you, but has potential.

I absolutely love the diversity of answers in this thread so far. I am seeing a lot of fyreslayer recommendations which is fair. When I think of a "defensive army", I think of the hard stat line for saves and defensive buff/debuffs. In this case, nurgle and stormcast units in a vacuum are what you're after. 

I must emphasize though the nature of AOS right now: the rules and gameply push for lots and lots of dead models. Its always better to have the mentality that each model you put on the table will die. Its how and when they die that matters more. Also, five rounds isn't a lot of time to slowly push to an objective. Sure you can pick an army that's also maneuverable, but once your locked into a position you're generally stuck there. Stayin' alive for sure, but stuck.

I recommend approaching a "defensive" unit or synergy as a way to force favorable combats every round instead of holding objectives. Coming out on top every combat should ultimately force you're opponent to change strategies while also getting you toward objectives in the first place. This is true for the horde argument or for the defensive stat line. Think how you want to win on the micro level with a "defensive army" and that might help decide which army to pick from the mentioned army suggestions. 

Stormcast can be super defensive while still dealing decent damage with Sequitors and Evocators. With the Ballista and Raptors as well, you can set up a pretty standard shield line+ gun line tactic, and the Lord-Arcanum has a neat ability to keep a model alive after it's been slain, maintain that shield wall. If you can deep strike near the objectives, you can pretty much hold them all game. Watch out for mortal wounds though, there aren't a lot of good ways around that one for SC.

Archived