Starting Flesh Eater Courts

ierthling

2 hours ago, Graywater said:

Welcome to the delusional court! As to battalions, I think a lot of them are pretty meh, but ghoul patrol isnt bad if you want to flood the board with models. I've definitely had my fair share of wins based solely on creating more wounds than the enemy can chew through in a game. Be prepared to spend lots of time in movement and rolling lots of dice for little effect with this build. I personally got quite tired of using huge hordes, so I've been working on some lists focusing on ghoul kings on terrorgheists and the horrors in the abattoir battalion.

Hey Graywater - I’d be curious to see some examples of what your lower model count lists look like! In the past I’ve always shied away from horde armies, but I just couldn’t resist the fluff & models this time. But if there’s a way to make hunters, kings, and dragons work without a bazillion ghosts I’d love to see what that looks like!

Not my list, but bill souza has done incredibly well with:

King on terrorgheist- majestic horror

King on terrorgheist-flayed pennant

King on terrorghiest

Arkhan-ally

3 units of 10 ghouls

Chronomantic cogs

You end up with 2 command points to start with, meaning you can potentially use all 3 king summons turn one if you want to have 12 horrors coming on from any board edge. Then with cogs, the flayed pennant, and crusading army, you are getting +5 to your charge and you can reroll. But you have options. I've seen him use one to pop Arkhan to try to curse of years Manfred off the board turn one (almost wiped him out). And you have 3 units of ghouls that are too small to really be targets for your enemy, but fulfill the all important back line objective holder role. Its a really good list, and props to him for bringing the flesh eaters back to competitive play. 

I'm doing my best to not just take his list, but everything I've come up with has been weaker than his. However, I can at least fill my list with more horrors, as I like them a lot. My list I've been playing with is

King on terrorgheist 

King on zombie dragon flayed pennant

Courtier-general 

King on foot

9 horrors

3 horrors

10 ghouls

Cogs and geminids

General idea is to super buff the big unit of horrors. Unfortunately we have to have a courtier be the general to have battleline horrors, but at least you can make him a wizard and have him give the unit the ghoul king +1 attack spell or cast one of the endless spells based on what I need. Palisade is nice to cut off angles and line of sight to the courtier. You start with one command point to summon as needed too, either another unit of 3 horrors or 10 ghouls as a  distraction, or another courtier from the dragon if your opponent was able to whittle your big squad down some. Again, the list isnt nearly as strong as the souza list, but it's full of horrors and has done well at one day events at the local shop. That block of horrors chews through hordes and heavy armor alike on pure weight of dice, and is very difficult to remove with all of its saves.

6 hours ago, Graywater said:

we are usually using our command points for summoning.

Depends, after summoning turn 1/2 the big guys usually end up distraction carnifexing into things. But remember, that arkhan knows all spells of friendly death wizards around, so he could cast it from the support line and with his CA covering 32“+base (10+6) wide area...

nothing broken, but maybe a nice trick for the combat intense third turn, 20 ghouls in combat 60 attacks, 30 hits, 15 wounds plus 7.5 after rerolling... against a 4+ save its 10.75 vs 7.5 so about 3 wounds more

6 hours ago, Graywater said:

I've been working on some lists focusing on ghoul kings on terrorgheists and the horrors in the abattoir battalion.

Really need to try that out too, the 6+ mortal wound spam sounds like a good thing

Archived