Starting Flesh Eater Courts

ierthling

Hi all! I'm new to AoS (though not to mini games, play 40k among many other things), and I'm thinking of diving into Flesh Eater Courts. I always like to have a kind of starting list that I build towards when I'm starting a new game or army, so I wanted to see if you all might give me some feedback on my idea for a basic pair of lists at 1000 and 2000 points. Here's the 1k version:

Leaders

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist

General

Command Trait: Majestic Horror

General Specific Trait: Crusading Army

Crypt Ghast Courtier

Crypt Ghast Courtier

Battlelines

Crypt Ghouls x 20

Crypt Ghouls x 20

Total 1000pts

With the idea being to use the AGK on ZD to summon in two groups of Horrors or Flayers (using Majestic Horror) to seize objectives or harass, Ghast Courtiers supporting each blob of Ghasts, general attacks stuff once he's done summoning.

Taking the same list and building to 2k, it becomes:

Leaders

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon

General

Command Trait: Majestic Horror

General Specific Trait: Crusading Army

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist

Crypt Ghast Courtier

Crypt Ghast Courtier

Battlelines

Crypt Ghouls x 20

Crypt Ghouls x 20

Crypt Ghouls x 20

Other

Crypt Flayers x3

Battalions

Ghoul Patrol

Total 1940pts

With the idea here being to switch to AGK on Zombie Dragon for the general to summon in a pair of courtiers (I know Varghulfs are the best, though shopping-list wise these might be other courtiers at first); Ghoul Patrol lets one of the Ghast Courtiers and all 3 Ghast blobs enter from elsewhere (and gives me that starting command point), AGK on TG summons in more Flayers or Horrors, so the whole thing is very mobile, lots of models are entering outside the deployment zone, and the two dragons can take on bigger targets.

Part of my thinking is that I think I could make all of this with two Start Collectings and two Nightfeast Hunters boxes (carving out the Ghast Courtiers from the ghasts, so really two of them start at 19). For relatively cheap this gets me up and running at 1k and then scales up to 2k.

I'd love any feedback about this approach, thoughts about making lists like these work, suggestions for Death allies, and especially your ideas about the Ghoul Patrol vs. other battalions. Thanks!

46 minutes ago, ierthling said:

I'd love any feedback

Sound thinking, lists are looking decent for first try out...

Go for it!!!

the tricky details will harass you after you got 2/3 and then 7-10 games under your belt. Although there are a lot of „standard“ lists out there, mileage will vary. Some prefer elite lists, others like to deploy via buckets...

try to magnetize your horrors/flayers before painting them (I still weep at night) 

1k list looks good... charge!!!

Thanks Honk! I'm a big magnetizer in general, so I will see if i can do it (don't own any of this yet, so I'll have to see what the joints look like, but I've magnetized the wrists of Eldar before, so I can probably swing it). In general I often do prefer elite lists - is it possible to do that with FEC? I guess I figured since you need the ghasts for battlelines anyway, might as well take a bunch, but I suppose if you just took 3 squads of 10 and ditched the ghast courtiers you could bring more horror/flayer types?

1 hour ago, ierthling said:

general I often do prefer elite lists 

Especially at 1k with an haunter as general funny things are possible or the good old deadwatch at 2k... not really meta crushing, but certainly fun to play

Good lists, but before you enter tournaments you'll need to get more ghouls, since It's actually invalid to bring understrenght units in battalions
Also for ghoul patrol in general you want at least additional 20 ghouls under your belt except those you buy with points, since this battalion allows you to bring models over the starting size

Not army related but make sure you’re ok with lots of cutting and assembling fiddly models. Ghouls are way more complicated than they should be. I wanted to do FEC as I love the concept. But after putting one ghoul together and realising it was the first of 60 minimum I just stopped.

Thanks Nos - I'll watch out for that! I've been modeling and converting for a long time, so I should be able to handle it, but yeah assembling sixty ghouls will get pretty annoying if they don't go together smoothly. XRen, sounds like we got that cleared up - as far as I can see even 10 Ghoul units would qualify for the Battalion. 

Any thoughts on allies? Seems like some shooting might be useful, or at any rate is lacking... Any hidden synergies elsewhere in death that wouldn't be obvious to a n00b like me?

Building skeletons builds character... no, wait...

buildung ghouls builds character 

the thrice cursed thing is the unique fitting, especially with the horrors/flayer... 

if you just cut out the sprue and then go into assembly mode you‘re done for

As for allies...

arkhan is one option apparently, I never tried that, but some high placing at tournaments by Ben show merit.

not sure what else as general suggestion. Since death save and other alliance buffs are negated, maybe neferata, coven throne or dire wolves.

if it is big (~400pts) why not get a GkoTg, with inbuild horrors/flayers. To bring bodies on the field maybe dogs, the rest without regeneration or van hels , just not worth the effort...

I don't think coven throne is allowed but Mortis Engine is. Doesn't do much unless you are bringing the Royal Family battalion and spamming GK on foot for spells.  Its a list I've considered honestly. 4 GK, 1 GK on Tg, Mortis Engine and at least 3 endless spells could be fun.

Arkhan as an ally is a very strong option, particularly in the realms, where magic is king. His innate +2 to cast and unbind gives you a good chance to get the spells off that you need, and stymie opponent spell casting. His command ability is a bit limited because flesh eater spells are buffs, which you should be in range for, but it can be used for a surprise curse of years. Even just the threat of curse of years can really mess with your opponent's deployment, movement, and target priority. 

Unfortunately, we lost much of our synergy with the rest of the death units due to the changes in the legions book using the summonable keyword. I was very sad to see our ghoulies can no longer danse macabre. 

Thanks y'all. So, I went and did it - my local store was offering a sale on GW orders, so I put in for two FEC start collectings and a nightfeast! Glorious ghouls, here I come...

Talk to me about Battalions. They mostly seem kind of wacky and more trouble than they're worth to me (though as I said above it's all theory for me at this point), though Ghoul Patrol seems easy and effective. Are there other Battalions worth thinking about building a list to pull off?

4 hours ago, Graywater said:

His command ability is a bit limited 

Not quite sure about the rule lawyering, but doesn’t Arkhans CA also extend the Feeding frenzy spell?!?

21“ to wound reroll 🙀

holy ziggurats of R‘yleh I should try this with Ghoulkings and Horrors, one might feel like playing Seraphon 

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Not quite sure about the rule lawyering, but doesn’t Arkhans CA also extend the Feeding frenzy spell?!?

21“ to wound reroll 🙀

holy ziggurats of R‘yleh I should try this with Ghoulkings and Horrors, one might feel like playing Seraphon 

Don’t see why not - it applies to “Death wizards,” and GK has Death and Wizard. That does seem pretty sweet! I’ll think about adding him to my shopping list. :D

2 hours ago, mrbedlam said:

ghoul patrol is my bread and butter.  Deathwatch is fun but not competitive. Royal Family has some play but most times I'd rather take Ghoul Patrol.

Mrbedlam, with the Deadwatch ability, does that allow you to attack twice? Like, you get to pile in and attack in the Hero Phase, and then again in the Combat phase? That does seem pretty solid, although you really do have to bring a lot of flayers from the get go. Royal Family seems cool (although you have to have a lot of Kings!), but I feel like you would just end up summoning a lot of 10-man Ghast units that would be pretty easy to erase. Guess I’ll stick to Ghoul Patrol for now unless some other inspiration strikes!

Delusions: Crusading Army seems far and away the best, am I wrong?

Artefacts: Garland? Any others worth  considering?

1 hour ago, ierthling said:

does that allow you to attack twice? 

Yes, and it is strong, but...

they cost 160 points, their scream is only useful against the most fearful of opponents(so useless), their speed is good, but their melee capacities kinda crappy (4+\3+). With a high 2+ save meta, the mortal spam was good but nowadays, not really.

the deadwatch battalion is fun, but very expensive (3 units flayers, courtier and battalion is 790 for min units) and the big problem is:

if you charge with your flayers you should just delete things. They are too squishy to brawl around. So if you get punched back and have to wait for your hero phase, your opponent has all the time (you don’t want him to have with your fast units) to react. Not even considering double turn desasters.

the possibility to attack again in your herophase to free up your unit for the turn is nice, but not worth 170 points (you were suppose to kill/burn/maim on charge!)

sooo, nice to play and fun to field, but not competitive or cost efficient (also real life)

4 hours ago, Honk said:

21“ to wound reroll 🙀

Yeah, it does extend to that as well. It's not a bad little extra, but not sure it's anything to build around, as we are usually using our command points for summoning.

1 hour ago, Honk said:

the deadwatch battalion is fun, but very expensive (3 units flayers, courtier and battalion is 790 for min units) and the big problem is:

if you charge with your flayers you should just delete things. They are too squishy to brawl around. So if you get punched back and have to wait for your hero phase, your opponent has all the time (you don’t want him to have with your fast units) to react. Not even considering double turn desasters.

the possibility to attack again in your herophase to free up your unit for the turn is nice, but not worth 170 points (you were suppose to kill/burn/maim 

I am right there with you on this one. Dead watch just doesn't seem worth it to me. Then again, I'm very much in the horrors > flayers camp, so was never keen on the battalion, even in its heyday.

5 hours ago, ierthling said:

Thanks y'all. So, I went and did it - my local store was offering a sale on GW orders, so I put in for two FEC start collectings and a nightfeast! Glorious ghouls, here I come...

Talk to me about Battalions. They mostly seem kind of wacky and more trouble than they're worth to me (though as I said above it's all theory for me at this point), though Ghoul Patrol seems easy and effective. Are there other Battalions worth thinking about building a list to pull off?

Welcome to the delusional court! As to battalions, I think a lot of them are pretty meh, but ghoul patrol isnt bad if you want to flood the board with models. I've definitely had my fair share of wins based solely on creating more wounds than the enemy can chew through in a game. Be prepared to spend lots of time in movement and rolling lots of dice for little effect with this build. I personally got quite tired of using huge hordes, so I've been working on some lists focusing on ghoul kings on terrorgheists and the horrors in the abattoir battalion.

Archived