What's the most over powering (but honestly made) rule misunderstanding you've made?

JPjr

This battle report just came up on YouTube and it starts with a disclaimer that they totally got one rule VERY wrong, the Evocator's 'celestial lightning arc' ability.

"after resolving this unit's attacks in the combat phase, pick one enemy unit within 3" of this unit and roll 2 dice for each model in this unit. For each roll of 4+, the enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound."

Made me laugh as up until about 2 weeks ago I'd been playing it (just at home thankfully) the same as they did, that you roll 2 dice for every model in the enemy unit, making Evocators pretty much the most incredible horde killing unit I could imagine. A small unit of just a few of these bros would routinely do just 1 or 2 wounds in actual combat and then wipe massive blobs of skeletons and chainrasps off the face of the realms/kitchen table with their ability.

Obviously it's a comically wrong reading of the, IMO not particularly clearly written, ability but done in complete good faith. So what's the most ridiculous power up you've awarded yourself in error and how long did it take you to realise your mistake?

I've never been wrong on a rule...

Seriously though, one of the things that gets our group most is reading a rule then misremembering "unit" from "model".  Loremaster was shockingly underpriced before it was pointed out that his spell that let's you reroll all failed hits and wounds only worked on one model and not one unit.

I managed to play two games convinced that Reikenor the Grimhailer can cast two spells- with his ability to just pop a mortal wound out for free and get a bonus to cast, this was quite dramatic. Can't tell you how disappointed I was to realise this herald of Nagash could only cast one spell instead.

For a loooong ass time I got the Tanglethorn thicket (kurnoth hunter) rule all wrong. I thought the ability only limited a pile in, and not regular move/charge.

The rule itself is written quite clearly, and I still feel dumb for misunderstanding that one. I am so sorry for all the players who had to endure my always-reroll-all-saves hunters... 😅

I get the abilities in my Seraphon army mixed up all the time. Some abilities effect units, others effect models, some effect save rolls, some effect save rolls against shooting, some abilities are 6", others are 8", 10", 12", 15", 18", 24"... it's hard to keep it all straight even after playing for 2 years.

3 hours ago, Vextol said:

Seriously though, one of the things that gets our group most is reading a rule then misremembering "unit" from "model".  Loremaster was shockingly underpriced before it was pointed out that his spell that let's you reroll all failed hits and wounds only worked on one model and not one unit.

The unit/model confusion did it for me too.  Flesheater Courts, the thing that lets them pile in and attack again on a 6+ after killing a unit.  Did it after killing a model the first couple of games (lost anyway, go me!).

Back during AoS 1 I was playing a Stormcast Hammerstrike, dropping 10 Retributors within range of my Prosecutors. Prosecutors have a rule saying they can roll 3 dice for a charge, but for some reason I also thought it was 3 dice for a run. So I was moving them 12" + 3d6, dropping Retributors pretty much anywhere I wanted on the board, then daisy-chaining them to any target I wanted to delete with Starsoul maces.

I got corrected pretty quickly at my first tournament, and rightfully so!

My nurgle sorcerer casting plague squall without line of sight. Only did this in one game because i had my german battletome with me and reread the spell.
The german wording is missing the line of sight requirement.

It was hilarious brutal. I kept him in a building the whole game and he was sniping whatever i wanted. To make it even worse the building was arcane

Mine was 40k, I misread Typhus’ ability in 6th edition as doing a hit to every model for each model it hit, as opposed to doing a hit to the unit for every model in it. It resulted in untold death. 

Min age of Sigmar we read Mannfreds rule to ignore the first rule to ignore the first time he takes damage. Which varied from ignored an entire 5 wound hit to ignored the first set of wounds he took from an entire unit. That was pretty bad too

The last few games I'd been playing my Ironclad's Flagship ability as "Skyfarer" units can reroll hit rolls of 1 instead of "Skyvessels". So my whole army was rerolling hits of 1 😣

Luckily I only did that a few times, as the rest of my games were against Nighthaunt and there is a whole other ability for flying units haha

9 hours ago, JPjr said:

This battle report just came up on YouTube and it starts with a disclaimer that they totally got one rule VERY wrong, the Evocator's 'celestial lightning arc' ability.

"after resolving this unit's attacks in the combat phase, pick one enemy unit within 3" of this unit and roll 2 dice for each model in this unit. For each roll of 4+, the enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound."

Made me laugh as up until about 2 weeks ago I'd been playing it (just at home thankfully) the same as they did, that you roll 2 dice for every model in the enemy unit, making Evocators pretty much the most incredible horde killing unit I could imagine. A small unit of just a few of these bros would routinely do just 1 or 2 wounds in actual combat and then wipe massive blobs of skeletons and chainrasps off the face of the realms/kitchen table with their ability.

Obviously it's a comically wrong reading of the, IMO not particularly clearly written, ability but done in complete good faith. So what's the most ridiculous power up you've awarded yourself in error and how long did it take you to realise your mistake?

As soon as I saw this thread title I came in here to post the EXACT thing. I thought that rolling 40 dice as a freebie ability felt a little rough...

5 hours ago, Johann said:

Rerolls before Modifier, we played almost two years with the classic rerolls after Modifier... was hard to change, especially in a game with  Slaanesh (-1/2 to hit) versus Fyreslayers (Rerolls a lot) 😉

I had a 15-minute explanation about it a few weeks ago in preparation for a tournament.  I tried every possible way to explain to my opponent how it worked and he couldn't get it, and when I thought he understood it, I proceed to roll, and he asks me why I am not picking up the 4s for rerolls (grimghast reapers vs plaguebearers). Once hardwired, it is hard to remove.

Mine usually go the other way around. When I played Tzeench I used the brimstone horror shooting and melee as 1 attack, 6+, 6+. Because I once glazed over them and it seems I thought they were just fodder, and using them as screens i would never bother to actually check up the warscroll ever again. Then in a game where an opponent was asking how they could cost so little, he checked my battletome and saw that they were 2 attacks 5+ 5+ he sighed in disappointment.

Also, the evocator one... c'mon guys, if you roll 2 dice per model in a 4+, it means that you kill any 1 wound unit without a +++ in one go. You shouldn't have that much faith in GWs writing when it comes to rules 😜

Haven't done it personally but I've seen multiple people interpret skarbrand's "incandescent if he hasn't fought the previous turn" rule as he gets to use the bottom line of his damage table rather than just choosing 5 effects and rolling 5 dice for his roar. A buddy had a Mega Boss on Mawkrusha oneshotted from 2 total carnage going off on 2+ during the first round.

9 hours ago, Vextol said:

I

I did this with the Bloodsecrator's Banner of Rage and a big blob of 30 Bloodreavers, assigning them ALL the reroll instead of the models within 8". I caught it after 1 turn, and my opponent was cool enough with it, so we went on. Live and learn.

Haha when a friend played MY Kahadron Overlords against ME. I misread him the Mhornar command trait. Suddenly his whole 1000pt army re-rolled failed hits against my 30 witch elves. that didn’t get an extra save because I just knew we got something wrong meaning I wasn’t paying attention to my own rules😅 needless to say he was okay with my mistake... my big squad was gone. 

Archived