What's the most over powering (but honestly made) rule misunderstanding you've made?

JPjr

13 hours ago, Johann said:

Rerolls before Modifier, we played almost two years with the classic rerolls after Modifier... was hard to change, especially in a game with  Slaanesh (-1/2 to hit) versus Fyreslayers (Rerolls a lot) 😉

I was covered in Designers Commentary to Core Rules actually, so it's now more in a favor of unit that rerolls:

Q: Some abilities allow me to re-roll a successful (or unsuccessful) roll. When this is the case, is the success or failure based on the roll before or after any modifiers are applied?
A: Re-rolls happen before any modifiers are applied, so the success or failure will always be based on the unmodified roll. Note that, when an ability says you can re-roll a failed roll, you may want to consider the effect that modifiers may have before deciding to re-roll the dice. For example, if a roll succeeds on a 4+ and you have a +1 modifier, you probably don’t want to re-roll ‘failed’ rolls of 3, because they will become successful after the modifier is applied!

23 hours ago, JPjr said:

This battle report just came up on YouTube and it starts with a disclaimer that they totally got one rule VERY wrong, the Evocator's 'celestial lightning arc' ability.

"after resolving this unit's attacks in the combat phase, pick one enemy unit within 3" of this unit and roll 2 dice for each model in this unit. For each roll of 4+, the enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound."

Made me laugh as up until about 2 weeks ago I'd been playing it (just at home thankfully) the same as they did, that you roll 2 dice for every model in the enemy unit, making Evocators pretty much the most incredible horde killing unit I could imagine. A small unit of just a few of these bros would routinely do just 1 or 2 wounds in actual combat and then wipe massive blobs of skeletons and chainrasps off the face of the realms/kitchen table with their ability.

Obviously it's a comically wrong reading of the, IMO not particularly clearly written, ability but done in complete good faith. So what's the most ridiculous power up you've awarded yourself in error and how long did it take you to realise your mistake?

Same one. Well, I didn’t actually do it but was close to.  Had to google the wording and came across the “this unit” clarification wording.

What makes it especially confusing is the lore which makes it clear that this is supposed to represent chain lightning jumping from the Evocators weapons to the members of each unit. In that illustration, it makes complete sense that the more bad guys there are, the more electric charges are created. This is a common device across videogames and RPG’s too, following the rule of, you know, how electricity actually works. That was what made me double down on my interpretation.

The obvious OP nature of it wasnt a logical road block it might have been because, well, Warhammer.

MIne was the Bloodsecrator.

For the longest time, I thought once the portal of skulls was opened, it stayed open until the Bloodsecrator moved.

I did not realize it had to be activated each Hero Phase, thus I could move Slaughterpriests away after activation but keep the extended range from GP battalion.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:06 PM, Kirjava13 said:

I managed to play two games convinced that Reikenor the Grimhailer can cast two spells- with his ability to just pop a mortal wound out for free and get a bonus to cast, this was quite dramatic. Can't tell you how disappointed I was to realise this herald of Nagash could only cast one spell instead.

Curious, what made you think he could cast 2 spells? His warscroll looks no different from any other basic caster.

1 minute ago, Skasian said:

Curious, what made you think he could cast 2 spells? His warscroll looks no different from any other basic caster.

Literally nothing beyond my own imagination. I cast an eye over his warscroll to get the details of his spell and it was all over after that, so I can do nothing but hang my head in shame.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:02 AM, Praecautus said:

I got my aspiring deathbring +1 attack buff wrong, had not realised it was now an aura and no longer stacks. So my unit of 10 blood warriors did 90 attacks

Has this been definitively resolved somewhere?  I'm still unsure on the stacking of this one (and Volturnos's  similar command ability) when there are other similar command abilities that specifically limit it to one use per unit (such as the Great Unclean One). 

46 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

Has this been definitively resolved somewhere?  I'm still unsure on the stacking of this one (and Volturnos's  similar command ability) when there are other similar command abilities that specifically limit it to one use per unit (such as the Great Unclean One). 

It's in the way it is worded now in the FAQ for the khorne tome, it is now worded as an aura so all the units wholly within get 1 attack ie it is now like the blood secrator one.

Volturnos does stack because he is granting it to designated units as opposed to all in range

2 minutes ago, Soolong said:

Ermmm can someone explain the original stormcast example to me because no matter how I read it it's roll 2 dice per model in the unit. Someone dumb it down a little like I am homer Simpson.

Well, there are two different possible "the unit"s in the equation.  The unit of Evocators doing the hitting, and the unit of chumps being smacked.  The actual "the unit" is the unit of Evocators.  But the incorrect favourable reading is for "the unit" to be the target unit.

5 Evos fighting against 60 Grots roll 10D6, not 120D6.

Not me but an opponent at my very first AoS tournament.  He was playing LoN Sacrament of Night.  They have a rebound artifact that deals MW and tried to argue that the rebound hits happened before my attacks.  So my dudes only got to attack if they first survived the rebound MWs.  It struck me as incredibly powerful and I even called the TO for a ruling.  The TO actually asked if the FAQ said anything and my opponent said no.  This dude was a regular so the TO ruled along with his interpretation.  I deferred to the TO as a newbie.  Needles to say I looked it up during our post tourney dinner and sure sure enough, the rebound hits happen after the initial attacks are resolved.  Oh-well.  Live and learn.  

On 11/29/2018 at 9:38 PM, TheMuphinMan said:

Haven't done it personally but I've seen multiple people interpret skarbrand's "incandescent if he hasn't fought the previous turn" rule as he gets to use the bottom line of his damage table rather than just choosing 5 effects and rolling 5 dice for his roar. A buddy had a Mega Boss on Mawkrusha oneshotted from 2 total carnage going off on 2+ during the first round.

Are you sure about this? My son runs Blades of Khorne and he uses Skarbrand. I've read this rule several times and it says "If Skarbrand was not able to attack in at least one of the combat phases of the previous battle round, he is always Incandescent, regardless of the wounds he has remaining." Italics are from the original quote.

Surely "regardless of how many wounds he has remaining" means its the bottom line of the damage table. If not what is it please? I'd love to slow Skarbrand down a bit.

59 minutes ago, Phil D said:

Are you sure about this? My son runs Blades of Khorne and he uses Skarbrand. I've read this rule several times and it says "If Skarbrand was not able to attack in at least one of the combat phases of the previous battle round, he is always Incandescent, regardless of the wounds he has remaining." Italics are from the original quote.

Surely "regardless of how many wounds he has remaining" means its the bottom line of the damage table. If not what is it please? I'd love to slow Skarbrand down a bit.

It says on his warscroll that he starts the battle angry, so technically turn 1 he is just angry even though he hasn't fought yet.

That said there was an FAQ that says if he is incandescent he uses the bottom line on the table for all abilities regardless of wounds

20181201_114301.jpg

20181201_114517.jpg

Agree totally, in the first battle round Skarbrand is angry, nothing more. That's why my son takes the first turn to move him into position, avoiding fighting with him, then charge in turn 2 and delete the biggest unit he can find because he is incandescent. I thought you were suggesting that he isn't incandescent, until he is badly wounded.

My bad.

On 11/29/2018 at 12:06 PM, JPjr said:

This battle report just came up on YouTube and it starts with a disclaimer that they totally got one rule VERY wrong, the Evocator's 'celestial lightning arc' ability.

"after resolving this unit's attacks in the combat phase, pick one enemy unit within 3" of this unit and roll 2 dice for each model in this unit. For each roll of 4+, the enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound."

Made me laugh as up until about 2 weeks ago I'd been playing it (just at home thankfully) the same as they did, that you roll 2 dice for every model in the enemy unit, making Evocators pretty much the most incredible horde killing unit I could imagine. A small unit of just a few of these bros would routinely do just 1 or 2 wounds in actual combat and then wipe massive blobs of skeletons and chainrasps off the face of the realms/kitchen table with their ability.

Obviously it's a comically wrong reading of the, IMO not particularly clearly written, ability but done in complete good faith. So what's the most ridiculous power up you've awarded yourself in error and how long did it take you to realise your mistake?

I had to re read this about four times thinking.. "I don't get  what the problem is?" , before the penny dropped that it's referring to the Evocator unit and not the opponent unit!

I was thinkinging - wow- maybe it's time to start stormcast vs the annoying daughters blob player we have 😀

doh!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought my Ghorgon could use its "Swallow Whole" ability to slay an enemy model as long as I could roll equal to or higher than the model's current wounds on a D6.    This little goof allowed me to slay a Lord Celestant on Dracoth that I'd managed to reduce to 4 wounds.

The correct rule is that you have to roll equal to or higher than the enemy model's wound characteristic.  So no swallowing whole any model that starts with 7 or more wounds. 

On 11/30/2018 at 9:09 AM, Choombatta said:

MIne was the Bloodsecrator.

For the longest time, I thought once the portal of skulls was opened, it stayed open until the Bloodsecrator moved.

I did not realize it had to be activated each Hero Phase, thus I could move Slaughterpriests away after activation but keep the extended range from GP battalion.

Yep. I  thought the same thing!

12 hours ago, Ken said:

I thought my Ghorgon could use its "Swallow Whole" ability to slay an enemy model as long as I could roll equal to or higher than the model's current wounds on a D6.    This little goof allowed me to slay a Lord Celestant on Dracoth that I'd managed to reduce to 4 wounds.

The correct rule is that you have to roll equal to or higher than the enemy model's wound characteristic.  So no swallowing whole any model that starts with 7 or more wounds. 

Oh that would be an awesome sight! Wounded dragon the size of a mansion... Wounded you say? Now it will fit in mah belly!

This is back in WH Fantasy Battles, but one game I horrendously misinterpreted Skink Skirmishers Blowpipes poison rule. The rule is if you rolled a 6 you automatically wounded. But I played it as if it autodamaged (like mortal wounding). So I had a pack of skinks running around popping Empire Heavy knights with their 1+ Saves. 🤣

Fortunately for our gaming group we realized what happened.

Archived