The Painting Contract - December 2018

TheOtherJosh

Merry christmas and a happy new year everyone! I finished up my Dire Wolves yesterday evening, with a bit more trouble than expected. You see I decided that covering up the oval-shaped pieces which they stand on with Martian Ironcrust was a great idea to make things look less weird. Applying the stuff generally is easy, applying it very precisely is not. Got some on some of the feet of my wolves and had to redo those a bit. In the end I decided to apply just a bit, model is more important than base after all. Anyway,  I'm stilll happy with how they came out, I like how the color scheme looks mostly. So here's a few snaps of my undead doggies from Chamon:

FJIMG_20181227_134512.jpg

FJIMG_20181227_134541.jpg

FJIMG_20181227_134615.jpg

FJIMG_20181227_134713.jpg

FJIMG_20181227_134756.jpg

FJIMG_20181227_134829.jpg

FJIMG_20181227_134848.jpg

FJIMG_20181227_134918.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Luke82 said:

Not 100% hit this month, I may have been a bit ambitious given the festive shenanigans going on.

I finished Zarbags Gits, the wolf riders, and the spider riders. I also painted 20 moonclan grots I picked up, and an Orc warboss on Wyvern from Mierce, so overall a good month.

I missed the boar chariot and 20 double chopper boys, didn’t get them done, shame on me for getting distracted by moonclan and wyverns!

Ive rethought the arrer boyz... they are truly useless in games! So as most of them carry choppers as well I think i’ll convert the bow arms into shield arms and bump up my other units.

Post pics!

My first attempt at the challenge will not end successfully as far as the monthly goal is concerned. What is a success though is by months end I will have 3/4 of the goal completed. 

This has officially been the most I have painted in about 2 years. As fas as start to finish is concerned. It is amazing what can be accomplished by setting aside 2 hours a day to work on this craft.  

Currently working on the  2 command squads for my swordmasters. They are about half done. Once finished that will give me 20 completed and a frostheart phoenix. 

Next months challenge wont be as ambitious. 

Greetings, all!  I know I am late to December, but I pledge to finish up my painting project that I started up back a few weeks ago:  some modular hills!

952328857_ModularHIlls1.jpg.14a97b332ee614c817f9bb868b4278e2.jpg

1661089832_ModularHills2.jpg.f0bb320019a4c6880d5d8effa39de66f.jpg

Gore-grunta for scale.  I have been inspired to put together some homemade terrain and scenery for my wargaming so I can play more at home and not have to rely on my FLGS that is a 45-minute drive away.  Thanks to the videos of the Terrain Tutor and Rubbish In Rubbish Out, I have been putting together some modular grass hills out of insulation foam, painted, and flocked.  They just need the flocking sealed up and they are ready to play!

I have a bunch of these hills put together in various sizes.  I hope to get these sealed up tomorrow night to free up the rest of my weekend for other projects and family time.

Hopefully things will calm down in my life again.  I took a break from Age of Sigmar to try out another wargame (that's a story for another time ;)) and am ready to jump back into it with some basic homemade scenery.  I had an epiphany back in the fall that the terrain and scenery are what separate miniature wargaming from other tabletop games, and that is something that can really aid in the game's immersion and help a player's gaming experience.

Well I nearly actually did my challenge. Did the dragon earlier in the month. Got 2 of 6 Space Wolves finished, my wife built my Kill Team ruins as planned and got 4 Wolves basecoated and based. 

Didn't finish the Kill Team, Relictor or rebase any of my mixed Order project but it was a very ambitious month! /edit though I did base the 3 big monsters/leaders for the mixed Order stuff! 

IMG_20181228_022606_517.jpg.ea55143434a24976715ee7251c507885.jpg

Dodgy Instagram pic of the Kill Team. 

IMG_20181227_223658_523.jpg.b9907448f72848157c2c40ffce8ee941.jpg

My lovely wife WIP on the Kill Team scenery! 

Did not get thru my AoS painting goals.  Did manage to finish a Realm Gate and 3 Gryph-hounds.   My Lord-Arcanum and Lord-Castellant are underway.   Somewhere during the month I got the itch to paint Dark Angels (Christmas marines for the holiday season I guess).   So I painted up 5 Intercessors, 10 Hellblasters, 5 Reivers and a Rhino.

IMG_20181228_073013631.jpg

IMG_20181228_074037405.jpg

It will be down to the wire! Won't have the 3rd unit of 10 finished. However, I did start a unit of 10 sisters of the watch. I know thr bases are not done yet, but I still haven't found a way to make them that I like. 

Please enjoy the current group shot. Sadly it is another poor mobile shot. Next month I will see about settingup a proper station. 

20181229_151741_HDR.jpg

Keep plugging away everyone!

My final update for December I did complete my stretch and build some more models ready for the new year. I have built and undercoated the following;

5 Plastic Flesh Hounds

A Plastic Karanak 

A Deamon Prince

Two Chaos Spawns

5 Skull Reapers

A Mighty Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 

Valkia the Bloody

Skarr Bloodwrath

A Darkoath Warqueen

Scyla Anfingrim

Skull Taker 

O dear that’s a lot to paint next year before I get into my Kharadron Overlords 😱

I was actually able to finish up my pledge - I was able to get a second and third coat of diluted PVA on my modular hills.  However, that last coat ended up leaving a shine on most of the hills that detract from the natural look I was going for.  So I need to get some matte spray to use on them to get rid of that shine.  That probably won't happen in the next few days though, as I will need to wait for pay day to get anything else.

Next project is some foamcore board ruins, but I need a trip to the hardware store for some drywall putty to texture them up.  Again, waiting for payday...

On 11/29/2018 at 10:10 AM, Kramer said:

Finish:

Garreks reavers 50% done

frigate 80% done

5 khinerai 80% done

cauldron crew (95%done  kind of forgot them in a box 😅)

Some stretch options

10 Gors

2 Beastlords

1 Khemist

1 Overtyrant

3 Nurglings

Well, for personal reference this, I suck at finishing things. I didn't finish anything on this list but on the plus side I got very close to finishing 9 Stormcast for Skirmish. But Real Life happened, apparently having a kid cuts into your hobby time... who knew?

Hurrah 12 months of painting done! I decided to look back at what I painted this year

Shadows over Hammerhal

-1 cogsmith

-1 Loremaster

-1 Lord castellant and griffhound

-1 dark elf pirate dude

-1 chaos sorc

-10 blood reavers

-10 kairic acolytes

-5 blight kings 

Wrath of Khorne blood thirster

Chaos warshrine

5 blood reavers