[Advice/Ideas request] Undead from Chamon (steampunk maybe?)

Vastus

Hello everyone, I'd like some advice as I've been mulling over this for a week now. To give a bit of background: I played Fantasy about 7 years ago, quit it, and recently decided to get back into it with some friends. I liked some of the Nighthaunt models, but didn't want an entire army of ghosts, so for now I've settled on Legions of Nagash, more specifically the Legion of Sacrament because I like having a magic focus. So I've bought a Necromancer and a box  each of Dire Wolves, Spirit Hosts and Grimghast Reapers for a starter 500 point army. I like to go with a theme for my paint scheme usually and with AoS's focus on the realms I decided to focus on the Realm of Chamon because it fascinated me when I read about it. For now I've only painted the Necromancer and Spirit Hosts yet, going for metallic spirits. That was kind of my idea, make the spirit and bone parts metallic, the idea originated from the idea that metals could sediment on the bones, but I saw a picture of a metallic skeleton and I just think it looks ace in general.

Now I'm considering taking this theme a bit further with some conversions perhaps. It seems like the population in Chamon is a bit more technologically advanced than in other realms, so maybe I could get a more steampunky look. I don't want things to be too sci-fi as I don't think that would fit, which does throw some of the 40k stuff out of the window (but not all of it). I have two ideas for my Grimghast Reapers that I have yet to put together. First being a head swap with Necron Warrior heads as that could give more  of a machine spirit look, but I'm not sure how they compare in size, if you happen to have both please tell me. The other idea was to kind of get power scythes, for example from Death guard. The idea being to just cut off the end part with the scythe  and hand guard and attach that to the end of the scythes the ghast have, although I'm not sure if that may be a bit too fragile. A bit expensive as well, but it could be cool. I've seen some other options, but these don't look nearly as good. I'd definitely appreciate some advice here.

I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but I like to plan ahead for future purchases and I have been thinking about maybe incorporating skeletons or even zombies and corpse carts in the future.  For the skeletons, painting them would be easy, and maybe I could get some more techy looking weapons somewhere, although most of what I can find is guns which I don't want. Not sure how I would do zombies or corpse carts, maybe gas mask heads and those backpacks Skitaarii have? Could definitely use some ideas here.

As for colors, I don't have much paint currently (lot of old paint dried out, did buy a few new colors), for now I rely a lot on Leadbelcher Metal and Hashut Copper that I mix with other paints to get different colors, but if you have some advice for metallic colors that look good and could provide variety I'd appreciate that as well.

E: Also if you know about Europe-based bits sites I'd appreciate it, most of what I've found is US based and I don't want to pay like 15 euros in shipping costs for some bits.

From what I've read, Chamon is where Aethergold is most present and also where the main population of the Kharadron Overlords reside, with the highest concentration of skyports of all realms. The technology there is overall more advanced due to these two things, although it is in a way half magic I suppose and calling it steampunk may be a bit confusing. But when I look at the KO, steampunk is the word that comes to my mind. 

Also I got another idea earlier, perhaps the scythes of the Necron Praetorians could work, depending on how I paint it, I could maybe make it look more old steampunk/magic techy rather than high-tech scifi by using more brass/copper colors.

Another angle to work with is Alchemy. The ultimate goal of alchemy was to create the Philosopher's Stone, an item that not only could turn other materials into gold but supposedly  can grant immortality. Works well with the entire concept of being undead!

Another idea is "artificial" undead made popular thanks to Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Yes for WFB it may be out of place but I do think AoS has opened up far more possibilities to the point where I think some parts of the Realms can match the style that of Warcraft or Magic the Gathering.

52196_200w.jpg

Spoiler

34116_CephalyxMindSlaverDrudges_WEB.jpg

34120_MechanithrallsAndBruteThralls13man

41114_CephalyxWrecker_WEB.jpg

There could be a more toned down version with less mechanical parts and more "being stitched together and reanimated through science"

Spoiler

Abomination_TCG.jpg

mtg-magic-gathering-blue-zombie-deck_1_e

That is a pretty cool angle, especially for counts-as zombies. Replacing hands with blades and saws should be very doable convertion-wise as well. I'll definitely try that at some point. For skeletons it wouldn't fit as much, but I could use Skitarii powerswords for that perhaps, I did find a good UK-based bits site that had a ton of them. 

8 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Steampunk would not be fitting. Chamomile on the realm of metal, not the realm of Technology 

To be fair there is no realm of technology and a lot of fluff regarding chamon and technological advanced races. Of course Kahadron overlords hail from chamon due to the high concentrations of aether gold. But also mechanical statues/golems have been mentioned in that realm.

Also technological advancements could be in any realm. That’s the beauty of such an open setting. 

Lastly I think their is a malign portents sorry or something that mentioned bronzed plated skeletons or something. Might be misremembering two things. 

On your idea @Vastus, I like it! I think the contrast between shiny metal hidden under dirty robes could be very cool. Make the necromancer a bit more engineer looking. Like he found an blend of alchemy, necromancy and engineering but needs to hide his advancements for fear of Nagash* discovering.

* insert most often played opponent here ;) 

I already assembled and painted the Necromancer, but you can never have enough Necro's so for the next one I'll try a more mechanical conversion with a sight over one of his eyes or a mechanical arm. Could try to get some bits from the Tech-Priest Dominus, maybe combine it with the Weirdnob Shaman which has an interesting pose.

Edit: actually adding parts from the Tech-Priest Dominus to The Changeling could be even better perhaps, hmm.

26 minutes ago, Vastus said:

I like how it looks too tbh even if I'm not the best painter, but the picture quality is just awful lol

Haha lighting pictures is hard and a lot of fuss. Most camera phones will work though! Best light is daylights, so next a window, so that’s an easy tip. Also if possible choose a contrasting background or a neutral colour. A sheet of white paper that fills the frame can work wonders. Gw’s guide is really well made:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/06/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

Archived