The Honest Wargamer website (lists lists liiiists!

Overread

https://thehonestwargamer.com

Ok so its a bit more than lists, but this got flagged up over on Dakka and I figured as its AoS heavy at present it would be worth noting here too. Esp as whilst its currently aimed at list sharing and detailed strategy, there is also a view toward making it a stronger general "tsports" website and go to point for info and more.

(tspots being the same as esports - ergo tabletop sports! )

It's a really interesting project and very well presented, I'm enjoying reading people's rationales for the choices they make.

My only problem is the honest wargamer really wants "tsports" to catch on as a term and it makes me cringe every time I see it.

Yeah I like the phrase tSports, though I think ttSports suits better for Table Top Sports, it might sound weird but if it takes off 6 months down the line tSports will just be the known term. Fair play to rob and his team for being bold and trying to pioneer a new era of tabletop gaming coverage.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, Arkiham said:

It sounds cringey as it's new, esports is not much different an that is widely accepted as fine now 

Esports is also silly. Sports are great. Games are great. We don't need to pretend that  games are sports. 

But I'll grant it's a personal preference.

2 hours ago, Orsino said:

Esports is also silly. Sports are great. Games are great. We don't need to pretend that  games are sports. 

But I'll grant it's a personal preference.

Whats the difference between a game and a sport? Sports are also games, but all games are not sports. I think this debate is what triggers things like esports or what have you to be a 'new' sub category.

I had a look before. Credit is due where it is due, but constructive criticism also has its place.

Frankly, if you want competitive matched play lists, this is the site. I found all the lists were basically the same though which made for a boring read.

7 hours ago, Future said:

Whats the difference between a game and a sport? Sports are also games, but all games are not sports. I think this debate is what triggers things like esports or what have you to be a 'new' sub category.

I don't want to derail the discussion but the word "sport" implies some element of athleticism, I would include motor sports in that as there are quite strenuous physical aspects involved, but I wouldn't include pushing models around a table.

2 hours ago, Orsino said:

I don't want to derail the discussion but the word "sport" implies some element of athleticism, I would include motor sports in that as there are quite strenuous physical aspects involved, but I wouldn't include pushing models around a table.

i wouldn't  call archery, dressage, darts etc particularly athletic sports, but they're widely recognised as " sports " 

try an do what professional esport players do,

its exhausting, mentally, physically and emotionally draining,  i wasn't professional level but i could compete at a very high ability at dota2, 12 hours of game time a day,  requiring full concentration and  sound knowledge of rules and abilities, timings interactions etc etc

id argue that, playing 6 intense games of warhammer over a weekend against high level competition would also drain you both physically and mentally. 

we arent talking casual games over beer and snacks, similar to how a casual kick about down the field with a ball wouldn't be called "sport"

As societies change language evolves alongside. Sports is clearly a word that has some meanings that are now in variation. The use of esports and tsports and such is a slight evolution designed to attach to it to advertise what kind of sporting experience is going on. It's getting to the core of the word sport in being a competition between two or more people, without it being a specifically physical activity*. 

I wouldn't dwell on the terminology too much. If someone says eSports we know what they mean; now if someone says tSports we can start to know what that means too. It's nothing new, we've had competitions for decades, but its a new fresh take on marketing that has been pushed forward in other markets. It's piggybacking right off that with a view to generating interest and attention to itself. Not just from gamers to play, but from investors and advertisers as well. If you can market your tSport to them you can generate revenue which can directly be used to provide better events. You can also shift it from "that thing that gets organised on a weekend in peoples free time" to "that thing you do for several months of the year as a short term contract". 

*Any activity that demands mental and/or physical exertion will exhaust a person over time.  Even reading can be a tiring experience!

I now want to see a Rocky-style training montage set to a rousing soundtrack of some casual wargamer putting in the long hours of dice rolling exercises, grimacing as they practice lifting their little models and stretching tape measures, furrowed brows as they pedantically query rules and work on their sneers at un-pro painted armies etc etc, before they finally emerge a true, sweaty, unwashed and glorious tSports athlete.

This is the kind of thing that I want to see more of.  This brings the game's ability to be "professional" to the forefront.  This opens up for more things like world championships and potentials for endorsements and being able to make a living from playing tabletop games at the highest level.

Ive looked at some of the list rundowns, some are great, others are not.  Its going to choke under the weight of lists if they dont have a purpose, I presume some level of moderation will be done to manage this?  Its already a HUGE amount of reading to digest whats being written.  Some lists dont really give you anything other than stats from units and claiming they are great and will work fine, but no info on threats to tactics or potential concerns or how to deal with common tactics.

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

i wouldn't  call archery, dressage, darts etc particularly athletic sports, but they're widely recognised as " sports

Archery and dressage both require athletiscism, they require high degrees of strength and stamina, the training of muscles and the development of motor-process skills including gross/fine motor coordination of muscles throughout the body. Darts doesn't require the same sort of broad athleticism and is more comparable to playing video games, but of course does require the training of those muscles employed.

And the fact that you get tired doing something does not inherently make something a sport.

I think we're being a little too nit picky with the term "sport".  "tsport" or "esport" is its own word with its own definition that I think is pretty clear, we're discussing a tabletop or video game played by people where competition is the primary focus and with a structure to determine locally, regionally, or globally who is the best player with rewards for those players.

The site itself is good. The ability to rank lists is good but ultimately I agree with others that the delivery of lists is a mess and any valuable information will be drowned out in a sea of lists not worth picking through. Maybe do something like video game 'build' websites.

Where each meta arch type is stickied to the top but users are still free to create their own lists.

Great website. It would be nice to know which lists are from a tournament where they placed well, or random lists posted by people. Also, something to filter the lists without any work on explaining how they work.

Hopefully, this thread doesn't get derailed for something as silly as calling tabletop competition, tsports. It sounds reasonable, a pain in the ass to pronounce for spanish speakers tho.

up voting lists sends them to the top, so all the "less good" rundowns/lists or army explanations will drift towards the bottom, and we'll regularly remove the bottom most lists to keep it tidy.

the better you write the list the more likely it is to be upvoted, 

Yep...there's also a level of curatorship from the "Featured Rundowns", getting a place on the Honest Wargamer landing page and a standout box within their GA listing. 

Which is a cool idea and a big thumbs up if your list is one of those chosen:

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/triple-bang-the-monster-mash-they-never-saw-coming/

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/give-thy-self-to-chaos-with-our-lord-archaon/

Archived