The start of a new undead army

Saikological

Hey guys, 

Ive started playing Warhammer when it was in its 4th edition. Played for quite some years, but then I had other things on my mind. I believe my last paint job was like 17 years ago. However it has been on my mind for all these years. So the time felt right to start collecting and painting again. To my surprise, over half of my old paint bottles were still in great shape!

I wanted to do something different than before. Because I really like the new undead models, I've decided to start a new army with these. I even found some old models in my Warhammer boxes, so I could start right away after buying a few of the latest colours.

The idea is to collect a lot of base troops for a Legion of Nagash. I feel like a couple of 40+ units with skellies and zombies etc will make a nice core of the army.

Here are the first troops. Still work in progress with the weapons, bases and shield, but I think it will be fun to keep you all posted on the progression.  Super fun to do after all these years. I found myself progressing even while doing these few mini's and I have ideas on how to make future skellies a step better. 

I went for a slightly darker/more natural look compared to those painted by GW on the boxes. What do you think of the first impression?

Skeletons 20-11-2018.jpg

1129105981_Necromancer25-11-2018.jpg.ccc65256acc30c874e1f742a831370af.jpg

Hey all, small update.

Ive added a necromancer and found another 4 old skellies to paint. Still have to do the armor and weapons, but ove bought the right colors yesterday, so that will be done shortly. 

Also looking to make the eyes of the skellies glow, but im not sure what colors to use. Think green/yellowish, but maybe blue/pinkish? What do you think?

Hope you lke them so far. 

Those are certainly some old models! That zombie dragon isn't even used anymore as there is a bigger, better sculpt out there. I would make sure to ask your opponent if that zombie dragon model would be okay to use on the table since the size of that model compared to the new one is like night and day. 

Still, some nice classic models to choose from!

Thanks!

I call it a baby dragon :-)

Im not into competitive gaming, so i think it won't be an issue. However i do wonder, a zombie dragon is a zombie dragon, is it not? Does the model even matter? I for one wouldnt mind what kind of model somebody is using... I will however put this one on a normal/recent round base, so that wont be different.

Just now, Saikological said:

Thanks!

Im not into competitive gaming, so i think it won't be an issue. However i do wonder, a zombie dragon is a zombie dragon, is it not? Does the model even matter? I for one wouldnt mind what kind of model somebody is using... 

I will however put this one on a normal/recent round base, so that wont be different 😉

I suggested it just to be safe, a courtesy just in case. You're right a dragon is a dragon, but since its smaller someone might argue that you would have an advantage of making the dragon easier to hide behind terrain. Again, probably won't happen but you never know. 

What kind of paint scheme are you planning for the dragon?

As long as its on the right base according to the chart on the GW website the old zombie dragon should be perfectly fine for most players. It's a classic model and scupt and many people with older collections still use their old minis. Size might be an issue, but it shouldn't be too much trouble.

If you can get a look at a regular new one you could compare sizes, you might get away just mounting it on a fancy rock base or such (or dead corpse of a fallen model) to give it more height and volume. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 12/30/2018 at 10:27 AM, Saikological said:

Hey all, took me a while to post an update, but ive got several mini's done. 

I am pleasantly surprised to see i can still hold a brush after 17 years 😄

Here is my current lord. What do you think? Any feedback?

Vampire lord 30 dec 2018 (3).JPG

Looks great! I used to have this model in the 90s. Your paint job is far better than mine was, that's for sure.

Looking fantastic in here. These models are as old as mine :)

My version of that vampires long lost his cloak - should look at sculpting a new one for him - and is carrying a hunting bird! 25 year old conversions abound.........

As far as the dragon goes, just use it. Its a classic sculpt - indeed, I thing its far better than the current one - and if your opposite player throws a fit about it due to "the rules".............then they clearly aren't the sort of person to enjoy playing a game with!

On 1/13/2019 at 1:21 PM, Saikological said:

Thanks! I think these mini's are not super rare or something and second hand they should be pretty easy to buy. Maybe you can buy e anew one with cloak 😉

Oh, I have an attachment to mine. I seem to remember taking the cloak off in order to get the model to rank up nicely in the mid 90s. I'll probably just sculpt a new one for the old boy.

• 2 weeks later...

Took me a while to post again, but here is a small update. Made some new skellies and added the older ones to make a mixed unit. I like the way it looks. The Command group in the back will be the command for the group of armored skeletons with halberds that i will have to paint. Might redo that old wight as im not quite happy with his armor (was trying rust there for the first time). 

What do you think of the new unit like this?

Warhammer Skeletons January 2019 (1).JPG

Warhammer Skeletons January 2019 (2).JPG

Archived