Chunk

Hello everyone!

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've just jumped into Age of Sigmar since my local store is planning a Path to Glory campaign using the General's Handbook, with the new Start Collecting boxes it seemed like a perfect time to start!

I picked up a SC: Khorne Bloodbound because I wanted an army full of units that can beat face in close combat, but I've been wondering which hero to choose as my champion for the warband.

My concern is, of the three I can pick (Lord on Juggernaut, Mighty Lord of Khorne, Lord of Chaos), I don't think any of them could take some of the other champions other warbands can take, like the Megaboss on Maw-Krusha or a Vampire on Zombie Dragon.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer - I'm pretty new so I'm likely missing something, but I don't want my powerful Khorne champion running in fear from other champions every game!

I'm currently running the Mighty Lord, as @Arkiham says his "Khorne wants you to visit for tea" rule is pretty amazing if you trigger it off.  With a 3+ save he's also surprisingly survivable.

Looking at the Lord on Juggernaught he's excellent but you ideally need a "fast" army to go with him.  8" move vs 5" for Blood Warriors could mean he gets isolated pretty quickly.  I'd be looking at adding another 6 Juggernaughts to the ones in your SC and possibly some Flesh Hounds.  Quite a combat monster though.

The Slaves to Darkness Lord isn't as good if you're running him as your general because his command ability only effects StD units and his Khorne rule for re-rolling hits of 1 isn't that useful with a 3+.  That said I would happily run him as an extra character and throw him into the opponents general for the chance of a free upgrade to a Daemon Prince (and when he dies you get a free spawn.

It does depend entirely on what you're going to face though.  The two units you've highlighted are both Behemoth's and I'd hope your general wouldn't go to punch them without some kind of support.

Personally I'd go for the Mighty Lord and then add a Bloodsecrator to your start collecting set.  This would put you at 3 hero models to which you will then need to look at adding some to.

19 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Don't underestimate the mighty lord of khorne, one wound can kill anything in the game.

Thanks for the reply, and good point! So if he had to fight a megaboss - it'd be better to have the Mighty Lord supported by another unit so they can be torn apart and the Lord can get his axe blows in?

42 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm currently running the Mighty Lord, as @Arkiham says his "Khorne wants you to visit for tea" rule is pretty amazing if you trigger it off.  With a 3+ save he's also surprisingly survivable.

Looking at the Lord on Juggernaught he's excellent but you ideally need a "fast" army to go with him.  8" move vs 5" for Blood Warriors could mean he gets isolated pretty quickly.  I'd be looking at adding another 6 Juggernaughts to the ones in your SC and possibly some Flesh Hounds.  Quite a combat monster though.

The Slaves to Darkness Lord isn't as good if you're running him as your general because his command ability only effects StD units and his Khorne rule for re-rolling hits of 1 isn't that useful with a 3+.  That said I would happily run him as an extra character and throw him into the opponents general for the chance of a free upgrade to a Daemon Prince (and when he dies you get a free spawn.

It does depend entirely on what you're going to face though.  The two units you've highlighted are both Behemoth's and I'd hope your general wouldn't go to punch them without some kind of support.

Personally I'd go for the Mighty Lord and then add a Bloodsecrator to your start collecting set.  This would put you at 3 hero models to which you will then need to look at adding some to.

I think I will follow your advice and get the Mighty Lord, a friend bought the AoS starter set and never did anything with it, so hopefully I can get both the Lord and the Bloodsecrator pretty cheap.

At the moment I have no idea what I'm going to face, I'm hoping my champion will never have to 1v1 any of the behemoth champions, though I suppose avoiding that is part of the strategy.

34 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Thanks for the reply, and good point! So if he had to fight a megaboss - it'd be better to have the Mighty Lord supported by another unit so they can be torn apart and the Lord can get his axe blows in?

More that you're getting more hits in against him, your opponent can choose how to split their attacks if in combat against more than one unit.  Support him with another unit and your opponent will need to decide what's the greater threat - a unit of 10 models can dish out a surprising amount of attacks.

34 minutes ago, Chunk said:

I think I will follow your advice and get the Mighty Lord, a friend bought the AoS starter set and never did anything with it, so hopefully I can get both the Lord and the Bloodsecrator pretty cheap.

At the moment I have no idea what I'm going to face, I'm hoping my champion will never have to 1v1 any of the behemoth champions, though I suppose avoiding that is part of the strategy.

If you've access to the Bloodbound part of a starter set fairly cheaply then I'd use that and your SC set as the initial basis for your army.  This will allow you to work out things you like and things you dislike doing.

For example I'm not a massive fan of Bloodreavers so the army I'm fielding in a couple of weeks doesn't contain any.  Some people love them and instead prefer to have less Blood Warriors :)

I'll probably go for a similar army structure to you, I play Tyranids and Orks in 40k so I'm definitely going to try to avoid doing another horde army. As a result I don't think I'll make use of Bloodreavers, but the rest of the starter looks good.

On a different note - is there any way to give minotaurs the Khorne keyword? I'd love to do a combined Minotaur/Bloodbound force, but most of the buffing units for Bloodbound won't affect minotaurs.

The starter set is pretty good value for money - 3 heroes, a monster, 5 Blood Warriors and 20 Bloodreavers :)  I'll likely paint the reavers up at some point as it's a cheap way of adding 120 points to the army if I need it.

Sadly not, as it currently stands none of the old beastmen units can be given a Chaos faction - I actually checked this out yesterday with the potential for doubles!

It's really irritating how these formations seemingly aren't going to be pointed. Ditto Neferata's Blood Court. Seems like a no-brainer for them to be pointed. Tourney players will not buy the campaign books otherwise.

Campaign books are for campaigns, it's to help theme your army to recreate battles in their books... Seems legit to me that they aren't pointed for tournament play :) Plus, there are so many battalions in all those books that it would difficult to make sure it's all balanced. And it's an incentive to play some fun narrative games. 

14 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Not really, as you still have to point it up based on the units you have, so if it comes to more than 2500 an the limit is 2500 you can't take it.

All they have to do it point the battalions. 

As @Bowlzee says the campaign battalions aren't intended for use in pitched battles as they're written for recreating a particular battle, GW is trying to ensure that the three styles of play remain distinctly different.

That said GW have been really receptive to community requests so if enough people ask for them to have points added then it might happen :) 

Unless you manage to trigger the Mighty Lords instant kill ability Khorne doesn't have much the can stand against the likes of a Maw Krusher or Celestant Prime,  unless you swarm them, although forge world is creating a new modle, Khornate Dragon with Lord so this may soon be solved 

The final thing will look immense

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Unless you manage to trigger the Mighty Lords instant kill ability Khorne doesn't have much the can stand against the likes of a Maw Krusher or Celestant Prime,  unless you swarm them, although forge world is creating a new modle, Khornate Dragon with Lord so this may soon be solved 

The final thing will look immense

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My anti big model plan is to slam into it with Wrathmongers and dare him to kill one.

Then it is "stop hitting yourself time."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Khorne dragon intrigues me, though it'll likely be outside my price range due to an unfavourable currency situation with the Pound.

I had my first game with my Bloodbound the other day - MVP has to go to my Bloodsecrator, that 18" bubble of +1 attack and no Battleshock is frankly amazing. The Slaughterpriest did a pretty good job too, killed off a unit of Retributors over the course of a few turns with Blood Boil, d6 mortal wounds is nasty and I seemed to always roll that 4+. He also managed to pull a unit of Prosecutors off their objective in the last turn with the other power.

The Mighty Lord of Khorne was pretty underwhelming, though I think that's more to my inability to hit or wound with any of his axe attacks. His flesh hound pet did plenty of wounds though, which was weird. Still, he needed help from a nearby Blood Warriors unit to take down a Lord Celestant on Dracoth and in the end it was the champion's gore-glaive that did most of the damage.

I think the upshot of this experience is that he needs support if he wants to take on bigger things, which is fine. I'm planning on having him get 'possessed' by a Bloodthirster if my warband ends the campaign with enough glory points, so after that he should be able to tackle the larger generals of enemy armies.

14 hours ago, Jamie said:

forge world is creating a new modle, Khornate Dragon with Lord

I'm fully expecting this to be available in limited quantities tomorrow :)  It's been finished for some time, but they didn't manage to get a photo before it was sliced up to create the master molds!

Archived