Citadel case with cavalry

Verengard

Hello,

Question about the GW carry cases with zig zag foams. How do you fit cavalry there, like black knights, blood knights, lizard knights, dragon princes, demigryph, bretonnians and other models with lances ? How many can fit per layer ? Photos how does it fit highly welcomed.

Thanx

The GW cases are an interesting piece of work. The thing you have to remember is that foam like that can be stretched and moved around a bit to accommodate strangely shaped models. Also remember that the goal of foam trays is to prevent the models from moving during transport. The GW cases accomplish this by packing the models fairly tightly with the zigzag foam and foam toppers. Once the case closes it packs them even tighter. So considering all of these things, you can stretch the zig zags to fit the cavalry and any parts that are sticking out of the foam and be covered by another foam tray or a foam topper. As long as you don't go to crazy with the foam you can effectively secure your models safely in the foam. 

40 minutes ago, Verengard said:

Hello,

Question about the GW carry cases with zig zag foams. How do you fit cavalry there, like black knights, blood knights, lizard knights, dragon princes, demigryph, bretonnians and other models with lances ? How many can fit per layer ? Photos how does it fit highly welcomed.

Thanx

When I used their smaller case i left the rider separate (actually magnatized) from the mount, could fit quite a lot in that way.  This was bretonnians so it worked fine as the legs were not molded into any details of the horse, and the older ones didnt really need to be magnatized anyway as they were push fit.

I have one of the bigger cases that fits four of the foam inserts. Each of the four foam inserts is divided into a top layer and a bottom layer and for cavalry (Vanguard Palladors in this case) I simply leave the top layer of the foam off. The models are held in place by the zigzag foam and are protected from above by the next foam insert, which sits flush on top and all are held in place by the way that they fit into the case.

I'll try and remember to take a picture later, as I just read back through the above paragraph and I'm not sure it makes much sense... 😳

The problem that I see are lances, check models from my attachement, how would you fit that ? My riders are glued to horses.

knights.png

On 11/20/2018 at 7:59 PM, Tzaangor Management said:

for cavalry (Vanguard Palladors in this case) I simply leave the top layer of the foam off. The models are held in place by the zigzag foam and are protected from above by the next foam insert

Isn't there a risk of getting squashed by the top layer without the insert ? As I see the spears of Palladors are not pointed upwards, also they are not longer than the model.

On second thoughts, I think you're right @Verengard, I had thought there was more space, but I think my Palladors are fairly close to the top of the next layer and while they are bulkier than the Empire cavalry, they are not holding their javelins straight up.

IMG_20181122_093330268.jpg.8fb08b0e6536b8024b5f0518f6cb40f9.jpg

If you haven't already bought the Citadel case, you could get one from Tabletop Tyrants instead. I prefer these to the Citadel cases, as they're modular,  so you can remove the trays that you're not using and drop other ones in. I originally bought a small carry case from them because I could not fit the Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore into my Citadel case, but I then picked up a bigger bag to fit the whole force when I moved house and I think it is the option I'll take for my next army. 

They're a bit more expensive initially, as the bags are a little on the pricey side, but additional trays are pretty cheap, so there's more flexibility in the long run. There are lots of other options out there in a similar vein, but I found that Tabletop Tyrant had the most straight forward website (KR Cases system is a nightmare).

https://www.tabletoptyrant.co.uk/

Chaos Knights should be roughly equivalent to your Knights and I used the 'Pick and Pluck' trays to fit them in. I'm a pretty impatient guy with stuff like this, so I'm sure you can fit more on a layer if you plan it better...

IMG_20181122_093439319.jpg.5ca010cd798d754064d1323be67791be.jpg

IMG_20181122_093451667.jpg.340c3432d292addeae6080ffc9203c8d.jpg

IMG_20181122_093504510.jpg.8e275caad30bf4db25b97cd5be5bb112.jpg

IMG_20181122_093519165.jpg.f7b9defddaec95c7686a968b84f7cc5a.jpg

IMG_20181122_093550047.jpg.5808fbf6e9faf477236694a1130d7951.jpg

8 hours ago, Verengard said:

Thank for your help. I like the GW cases, pity they dont make the old ones - there it was easy to put cavalry on sides...

How about doing that in the new ones, if you try to put the chaos knights on sides in the ZigZag foam ?

Yeah, it sort of works, bit awkward getting them in and out and if you have too many spikey bits I'm sure you might lose some, but they do fit in the foam. I wouldn't do it personally, but it can be done!

1483800850_IMG_20181122_185859038(1).jpg.5646d4296fc70da67b65b28cbf86fb2c.jpg

Archived