Do pure Ironjawz get boring to play?

MiniJunkie

I should start by saying that yes I realize I'm asking this on a Destruction board :)

I'm in the midst of assembling and painting an Ironjawz army because I dig the army....but I can't help wondering if they will be dull to play (go to enemy, hack it till it dies). I'm a major AoS newb and haven't played them yet, so I'm curious how you guys are finding them. I was hoping to not add other Destruction units in order to retain Brutes as battleline units.

I can only give my opinion of the Ironjawz from the other side of the table. They are extremely good hacking enemies to pieces, but I don't see that as dull. It's an army that will challenge you reach combat since almost all of your units move 4 inches. Also the Warchanter and Shaman offer you some tricks to surprise your opponents. And you have plenty of Battalions that offer more playstyle posibilities. 

Do you find yourself inexplicably drawn to them? I played Orks for years and years, and don't think I ever got bored of them because I loved the aesthetic :)

I'm sure I'll be adding in other Destruction units down the road, just to change things up a bit. I love the idea of a couple units of Night Goblins with pointy sticks and fanatics controlling some of the board while the Brutes, Megaboss and Warchanter just wrecking ball the table. 

That said, I'm sure I'll be breaking my Skaven out for a cruise around the realm.

So the short answer is, I think you'll have GREAT fun playing pure Ironjawz for years to come!

Just back from my local GW and got in a 1000 point game with my ironjawz. 

I have LOADS of fun playing them.  They might not have shooting, but they are bloody fast. 

They also have some of the most fun magic in the game if you build for it with foot or Gork. 

You can be really gamey with any army and take the fun out of it, but if you just want fun, there is loads to have with ironjawz. 

Had some fun today when I charged 5 of my brutes into 10 blood reavers and I only got to roll for the boss claw and brute smasha and the gore Choppa. They all died and the rest of the brutes were just standing there covered in reaver blood, nothing to swing their Choppas at lol. 

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, Ansuz said:

It's an army that will challenge you reach combat since almost all of your units move 4 inches.

When I first started playing with Ironjawz upon their release, I very much found this to be the case. I had similar issues in some of my other armies but they had easy workarounds; Retributors (Vexillor's banner) and Blightkings (Sayl's spell) being good examples.

I then found the Ironfist (and to a much lesser extent, the Brutefist) to be good ways to get additional movement into the army. Then the General's Handbook dropped which fortunately, for us anyway, makes the quoted statement outright incorrect. We can get across the table blisteringly fast and really surprise opponents who aren't expecting it.

That said, the original question posed by @MiniJunkie is something I have pondered myself actually. I'm finding Ironjawz super fun at the moment and whilst I'm not completely sold on the General's Handbook, it has undoubtedly added some interest. I do wonder whether they are a little one dimensional to play and if they will hold my interest, but for now, I'm more than happy.

If and when that time comes, I will simply look to diversify by bringing in other elements of the Destruction Grand Alliance to mix things up a little bit. Battleline aside, this is one of the joys of AoS!

When AoS first landed I collected and played with khorne bloodbound, then when firestorm fours came around one of my team mates only had khorne to play with so I painted up a ironjawz big mob and a load of green skinz, then for new dawn added in some Ogors, for Scgt chariots, call to war gordrakk, gore gruntas and iron guts and now have 10 brutes a megaboss and warchanter under coated ready to paint this weekend. It's been quite organic how it's grown but now I look at it and realise i have about 4500pts of destruction and aside from the brutes et all its all painted. Thing is the last three games I've played have been with skarbrand and "the axes of skarbrand" war band I started this time a year ago (mainly for season of war and our club having a lot of destruction players currently). In all that time I've never once gotten bored with any of the armies because the variety of scenarios and opponents and their own army builds means every game is a joy, in fact ve only had one game of AoS I didn't enjoy out of close to 100 this last 12 months. 

Back to your point, the key to all of it is finding an army style that you like to play, to put it in Warcraft terms I like to play dps characters (specifically a rogue) I've done so for 12 years and in that time I've tried all the other classes and styles but everytime I go back to the rogue. In aos and in 8th before it I gravitated towards in your face combat armies, I've tried shooty gunine dwarfs and magic heavy dark elves, but what gets me hooked and continually excited is combat. I hate the randomness of magic, and I always find shooty lists to be dull to play and fragile especially against a strong player. Plus it is just more fun looking in the whites of your enemies eyes as you bash their heads in screaming waaaaaaaaaargh 

So play a few games use some proxies if needs be and find YOUR style, and if that style is rushing across the board and Krumpin, you will never get bored of ironjawz! 

I really enjoy playing ironjawz I just kind of wish they had a shooting option or one other unit that did more than smash up close.  I say this though because I played stormcast first who can do everything well.

I get these urges though... like Gork or Mork call to me. Anytime I field my ironjawz it's never a dull affair, and getting the boyz stuck in to punch their way to victory is always a good time.

I was thinking the same thing as Minijunkie.  Now that I am getting a bit more familiar with the Ironjawz units and the rules of AoS it looks like there is a good bit you can do to change things up.  

You have three battle lines that are easy to mix and match.  You have your basic infantry in the Ardboyz.  At the oposite end of the spectrum, you have your cavalry in the gore-gruntas.  And you have brutes as a good all around assault force.  They all cost the same points so you can easily switch out one unit and put in another to support different strategies.

Next up, you can pick and choose your leaders to further mix things up.  Megaboss and warchanter will support your brutes and/or ardboys for an aggressive assault army.  But you can add a wierdnob shaman to give your army a little bit of magical ranged attack.

I have't seen the black ork big boss's warscroll, so I don't know what he can bring to the table.

Here is my untested theory:

• Objective control strategy - use gore gruntaz to rush out and capture control points, bring in ardboyz and wierdnob to defend the control point.
  • Aggressive assault army strategy - use brutes with megaboss and warchanter and Gordrakk to attack your oponents.  Or even use megaboss on a maw-krusha and bring in an additional battleline unit instead of Gordrakk so you can use pincer attacks. 
  • If you want an even bigger change, drop the ironjawz keyword and focus on a destruction alliance army.  Then you can add savage arrerboyz, grot seige artillery, squig hordes, whatever!

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:10 PM, FullMetalRPG said:

I am a Rotbringer's player and I don't know Sayl's spell! Fill me in please!

Oh man! You're missing out. I love Blightkings but they are soooo slow. Pick up Sayl from Forgeworld for a sweet spell granting a 18" flying move on a friendly unit. It's really good. Sayl is just solid anyway. He revolutionised my Chaos tbh...just a shame the General's Handbook has completely and utterly killed my build (which was rubbish, but fun, anyway!). I do plan to resurrect my "Only the Faithless" topic at some point in the future as the models were coming together nicely paint/model wise. But anyway...that's for a different forum.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, Sangfroid said:

Just you and da sunz boyz on a night on the town Chris 

image.jpg

Ahahahaha!!! I did have to double take there to make sure that wasn't @Forestreveries

17 hours ago, Gorsk said:

You have three battle lines that are easy to mix and match.  You have your basic infantry in the Ardboyz.  At the oposite end of the spectrum, you have your cavalry in the gore-gruntas.  And you have brutes as a good all around assault force.  They all cost the same points so you can easily switch out one unit and put in another to support different strategies.

Next up, you can pick and choose your leaders to further mix things up.  Megaboss and warchanter will support your brutes and/or ardboys for an aggressive assault army.  But you can add a wierdnob shaman to give your army a little bit of magical ranged attack.

• If you want an even bigger change, drop the ironjawz keyword and focus on a destruction alliance army.  Then you can add savage arrerboyz, grot seige artillery, squig hordes, whatever!

I do disagree some what with elements of this post (I have trimmed it to make the post shorter). I don't really think interchanging the 3 Battleline units gives all that much variety or change of play style. They all do much of the same thing in practice. That said, you are correct in that the fact they all cost the same does make it nice any easy to alternate as you wish.

Following on from that, the fact the Leaders don't cost the same makes switching your list around to accommodate different set-ups somewhat more difficult. Not saying it can't be done and I do agree that variety in characters does bring elements to the army.

The bottom bullet point I think is what I agree with most though. Rather than looking for a variety that simply isn't there in Ironjawz, branching out into Destruction as a Grand Alliance is a great way to really mix it up if you do get bored.

The bottom bullet point I think is what I agree with most though. Rather than looking for a variety that simply isn't there in Ironjawz, branching out into Destruction as a Grand Alliance is a great way to really mix it up if you do get bored.

The reward for doing so are the mighty fine Destruction Grand Alliance traits and artefacts, which I would say are only marginally worse than Death's and probably similar in strength to Sylvaneth. This is on the assumption that Ironjawz do get an allegiance pack soon.

37 minutes ago, Nico said:

The reward for doing so are the mighty fine Destruction Grand Alliance traits and artefacts, which I would say are only marginally worse than Death's and probably similar in strength to Sylvaneth. This is on the assumption that Ironjawz do get an allegiance pack soon.

Yes indeed. At present obviously it matters not (thanks to FAQ).

But yeh, whilst I am excited at the prospect of Ironjawz specific traits and artefacts, they'll need to be something special to stop me defaulting to Destruction!!

Just now, Chris Tomlin said:

But yeh, whilst I am excited at the prospect of Ironjawz specific traits and artefacts, they'll need to be something special to stop me defaulting to Destruction!!

Hopefully if they go as far as to give us our own traits and artifacts we will get a full magic lores, hopefully justifying the 120 cost for a wierdnob shaman. 

I just had a game against a blood bound army running 20 blood warriors and a skull grinder. His blood warriors ended up getting 4 attacks each rolling two wounds for every hit of a 4 or higher and they they can deal mortal wounds on a successful save and get to pile in when they die. 

I have found that ironjawz have no way to deal with this. Even if you kill them, they get to whittle you down. Might need to start running a shaman to try and snipe the skull grinder or at least give +1 save to some brutes as the blood warriors have no rend. 

Still, ironjawz are not boring lol. 

On 8/3/2016 at 10:17 AM, Dez said:

He can cast a spell that gives a friendly unit an 18" move and can fly. Helloooooo Glottkin :)

Just checked him out on Forge World at @Arkiham's suggestion. He's a sick model which I'm stoked about because the Nurgle Plague wizard model whatever he's called sucks. He's super derpy and lame. Problem with Sayl is he doesn't have a Nurgle keyword or Mark upgrade. :(

I found Ironjawz are a lot faster than you might first think, if you take an Iron Fist batallion, that combined with the Destruction allegiance trait you can move units 2d6" per hero phase, plus another 4" +d6 run move. If ypu're not in charge range by turn 2, then your opponent is giving up a lot of ground

2 minutes ago, Lucio said:

I found Ironjawz are a lot faster than you might first think, if you take an Iron Fist batallion, that combined with the Destruction allegiance trait you can move units 2d6" per hero phase, plus another 4" +d6 run move. If ypu're not in charge range by turn 2, then your opponent is giving up a lot of ground

Ironfist movement counts as your run so it is a maximum of 2d6+2 plus standard movement. 

Archived