Destruction Bases

5kaven5lave

If you really can't decide just grab the shattered dominion bases. I'm using them for basing any grots, who come with squares, aswell as the large model stuff.

I'd also suggest using stirland battlemire. It's a nice brown as standard, gives a lot of nice texture and looks great with only a quick dry brush.

I’m basing my Bonesplitterz like a savannah.  Sand and small gravel, painted Zambezi, drybrushed up to Screaming Sull, and some shin height light brown/tan grass tufts.  Most large beasts tend to live on a grasslands, so I thought it would be the best hunting.

54 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Thanks to all suggestions, think I’ll probably end up going with something like @Redking‘s idea. Does anyone have experience of putting a layer of watered down PVA glue over the sand? How watery should the glue be?

I've always put the  PVA glue (neat) on the base first, then dipped it in dry building sand. Let it dry, then  painting it helps to seal the sand on.

2 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I've always put the  PVA glue (neat) on the base first, then dipped it in dry building sand. Let it dry, then  painting it helps to seal the sand on.

I do this too. It’s fine with a layer of paint then dry brushed.

I did put natural sand (i.e. no painting after) on the slopes of my battleboard though, and in that case I brushed over with watered down pva after the initial sticking. Mixed to a milky consistency, then did at least a couple of coats (2? 3?). Disappeared fine, and the sand hasn’t come off yet!

Yep, straight up Elmer’s.  Sprinkle large grit, then dip in sand.  After it dries, I use the watered down base coat and then drybrush.  I haven’t had any sand come off a base.  I have also been experimenting with Liquitex Coarse Texture Medium.  It’s for prepping canvas, but makes interesting bases.  It’s an inexpensive alternative to GW’s textures.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-BASICS-Coarse-Texture-6-78-oz/dp/B06Y4CB9GK/ref=asc_df_B06Y4CB9GK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061515308&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13897271151213040337&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028086&hvtargid=aud-467077737785:pla-351118444722&psc=1

If you want some nice and easy Mud, I used Stirland & a beige drybrush (might've been Ushabti?) on my 40k Knights. It's easy to push around feet and base of the model to show things sinking too. Could easily go further with some tufts & pools of resin for water or wet effects :)

VI0zFkS.jpg

2 hours ago, divineauthority said:

I've got a friend using the Luke's APS mediterranean quick and easy stuff and it looks great. No need for washes, or drybrushes etc.

There's a whole bunch of different options and Luke has done videos showing how to use them.

https://www.geekgaming.co.uk/product-category/quick-and-easy-range/

This looks to be instabuy, will have to pick some up. Cheers!!

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Massive thanks to all replies. 

Slight derail, can anyone recommend any moss / vegetation stuff for putting on a Rogue Idol? I was thinking about wrapping some of the GW vine stuff around him, do we think that’ll work?

it could... If you put a little heat to that stuff it will kind of soften it up and you can apply it a little better, but it will also shrink it and too much heat will ruin it.  I use it for basing my seraphon. 

For my Rogue Idol I may try some grass flock 

4 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Slight derail, can anyone recommend any moss / vegetation stuff for putting on a Rogue Idol? I was thinking about wrapping some of the GW vine stuff around him, do we think that’ll work?

So I've actually ended up doing it a little odd. I used the Stirland battlemire on the model, I'm not snorting the stuff I swear, then dry brushed Kabalite Green, Niblet Green, Underhive Ash, Screaming Skull. It looks reasonably good but I don't think it's perhaps what you are looking for, you could potentially put it around the vines to add a level of depth/texture might be tricky tho.

Archived