Can Slaves to Darkness units be taken as [mark of chaos] allegiance

Jaze

Question

Can Slaves to Darkness units be taken as [mark of chaos] allegiance? Eg Nurgle or Khorne.

from the core rules it sounds like they can if you give them the correct mark on deployment, the same as it was in 1st edition. But I hear a lot of people saying you cannot, and they are mixed chaos or StD allegiance only now.

5 answers to this question

Yes, you mark units before the game (despite the strange wording of choosing when you deploy) and they gain the associated Keyword.

Even the Official "Getting Started with AoS" released in conjunction with 2.0 magazine has a sample nurgle army of nurgle daemons, nurgle mortals, slaves to darkness with nurgle marks, and clan pestilens skaven.

Kenshin is right. But bear in mind that not all StD units can gain the appropriate keyword, meaning they would still need to be allied in.

An example is the Daemon Prince. His "Immortal Champion" ability grants him different bonuses depending on which God he is dedicated to, but since it doesn't say that it gives him the Keyword of that God he would still take up your ally point allowance. Also, say you dedicated him to nurgle, without the keyword he wouldn't benefit from buffs that target friendly Nurgle units. It's easy to get confused, since his ability is so similar to other StD abilities that do grant the appropriate keyword.

12 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

Kenshin is right. But bear in mind that not all StD units can gain the appropriate keyword, meaning they would still need to be allied in.

An example is the Daemon Prince. His "Immortal Champion" ability grants him different bonuses depending on which God he is dedicated to, but since it doesn't say that it gives him the Keyword of that God he would still take up your ally point allowance. Also, say you dedicated him to nurgle, without the keyword he wouldn't benefit from buffs that target friendly Nurgle units. It's easy to get confused, since his ability is so similar to other StD abilities that do grant the appropriate keyword.

A Daemon Prince of Khorne does have the Khorne Keyword.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-chaos-daemonprince-en.pdf

And in FAQ they added that all versions of daemon Prince have StD keyword

33 minutes ago, Kyyn said:

What he meant was that taking the "Daemon Prince" means he cant actually gain the God specific Keyword. You have to take "Daemon Prince of Khorne" for a Khorne Daemon Prince. Versus taking Chaos Warriors who are simply "Chaos Warriors" no matter the dedication.  Why they did this is weird, maybe due to Chaos Daemons being a faction. (there was also the weird thing with chaos spawn that they finally fixed since it originally for some reason could only be a chaos spawn of tzeentch)

1 hour ago, Kyyn said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-chaos-daemonprince-en.pdf

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

What he meant was that taking the "Daemon Prince" means he cant actually gain the God specific Keyword. You have to take "Daemon Prince of Khorne" for a Khorne Daemon Prince. Versus taking Chaos Warriors who are simply "Chaos Warriors" no matter the dedication.  Why they did this is weird, maybe due to Chaos Daemons being a faction. (there was also the weird thing with chaos spawn that they finally fixed since it originally for some reason could only be a chaos spawn of tzeentch)

I actually didn't know there were different keyword profiles for the Daemon Prince, since this isn't mentioned in the app at all. Reading the app, it appears there is no way for a Daemon prince to gain a God specific keyword.  So I can use a Daemon Prince model and just say it's a Daemon Prince of Nurgle, and it gets the keyword?

If so I'm actually really tempted to get one! They'd be a great candidate for a hero that can keep up with my Plague Drones and activate their Locus ability to gain extra attacks. Thanks both, you've given me something to think about!

Archived