Warhammer spin-off games...

JPjr

Been really enjoying playing Nightvault the past few weeks and its got me thinking a fair bit about all the many games that have spun off from both the main Warhammer games over the years from the likes of Man o' War & Mighty Empires down to things like Oi! Dat's My Leg, Hungry Troll & the Gobbos and even the Citadel Combat Cards.

Just wondered whatever everyone's favourites have been, especially any that are still get played years after release and might be worth hunting down...

(Thinking about this I also just realised that Space Hulk is 30 years old next year which both makes me feel ancient and hopeful for a special anniversary edition).

83-0eb9f5c2c7.jpg

My group have just finished a Warhammer quest campaign (old one). It’s such a sandbox, like being given the whole old world to play in, i’ve had great fun GMing it. I am on the crazy mission to fill out the monster tables from the role play book so we’ve had plenty of variety. We’re taking a break until I move in the new year and we’re gonna pick it up again.

I’m hoping that I can play it with my kids in a few years, when I consider them responsible enough to touch my precious minis of course.

11 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Citadel Combat Cards (nearly always take at least one pack whenever I visit WHW)

I'm shook, I didn't realise they'd relaunched them last year! The first version came out just about the point my day-to-day interest in all things GW originally waned.

pic234322.jpg

15 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

My group have just finished a Warhammer quest campaign (old one)

ah never got to play that, was just a couple of years after my time. just reading about it now, sounds fun, especially with the added roleplaying elements

It’s the role play book that makes it so good. It helps if your group are happy to tweak some of the rules as you go up levels as it can quickly bog down as the meatier monsters start stomping around. Luckily I was GMing so changed or outright ignored any rules we didn’t like or just slowed us down.

It can be hilariously brutal. My pal converted and painted a beautiful Ogre mercenary model and took him through hours of dungeons only to lose him instantly to a bad D6 roll as a teleportation spell the party used went wrong and he was banished to the realm of chaos. He was literally begging the party not to use the spell as he was the only one without a luck reroll and was convinced he would roll a one... which he of course did.

We also lost our barbarian into a stream of lava after he rolled a one three times in a row as he was leaping over to single handedly take on a chimera and daemon Prince. Good times.

I logged the campaign here if anyone was interested;

https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/whq-campaign.6673/

Cant wait to restart it.

16 hours ago, JPjr said:

I'm shook, I didn't realise they'd relaunched them last year! The first version came out just about the point my day-to-day interest in all things GW originally waned.

Sadly the decision was made to change the way they worked and as far as I worked out it's a 2-player game.

Well, I used to miss the "good ol' GW that made spin-off games". It seems nowadays the old spirit is back :)

I own 3 out of 4 of the troll games. Especially love the included tapes with silly songs :D
Too bad I have no way to play them, now...

Regarding Combat Cards, I think the latest iteration is the best one. The previous two (original release of six (have almost all of them) then there was a new set of decks in the 90s, I believe. I have a deck with Man o'War models from that batch) were pretty useless, gameplay-wise. The 2017 deck puts some effort in actually being a game, at least.

I also remember playing a good amount of games of a dueling game played via attack and defense cards. Cards published on a WD issue, and to be glued on cardstock and cut. It could be played by itself, or to resolve duels between heroes during Warhamme Fantasy games.

And of course a lot of Blood Bowl, HeroQuest and Advanced HeroQuest.

I've also played a lot of DungeonQuest and Warlock of Firetop Mountain (but honestly I can't remember if they were specifically set in Warhammer world, more than being generic fantasy).

Don't know if it counts, as they are not GW games, but I have played more than a few games of many One Page Rules' rule-sets (and expanding into 40K, also  In The Emperor's Name  and  Heralds of Ruin).

13 minutes ago, gabbi said:

I also remember playing a good amount of games oo a dueling game played via attack and defense cards. Cards published on a WD issue, and to be glued on cardstock and cut. It could be played by itself, or to resolve duels between heroes during Warhamme Fantasy games.

pretty sure that was called Chivalry. If, and it's a big if, I remember correctly wasn't it presented as an extra thing for Bretonian Knights,  a kind of extra thematic way for them to fight. I remember it from the issue of WD that came out so my memory's, understandably, a bit fuzzy but I'm sure I saw something about it a while ago on a website.

23 minutes ago, gabbi said:

Don't know if it counts, as they are not GW games, but I have played more than a few games of many One Page Rules' rule-sets (and expanding into 40K, also  In The Emperor's Name  and  Heralds of Ruin).

hey it all counts as far as I'm concerned. Just interested in what's out there, what was fun to play, what might be worth reviving etc?

definitely feels like GW are more open to these again so we'll see, even if with things like Speed Freaks they seem to be more a way to introduce new expensive/big models for the main games with a simple game tacked on to provide a vague excuse for people, say non Orc players, to buy.

you could easily imagine them bringing out a game representing chaos charioteers or something like that to go with any Dark Oath / Slave to Darkness push.

WFRP was probably my favourite with Advanced Heroquest coming second . I liked the easy to understand percentile system (largely) of WFRP and the meshing of RPG and Miniatures board game of Advanced Heroquest. Of course Adv. Heroquest came back as Warhammer Quest but it lacked the same level of RPG elements. 

I always wanted to try advanced hero quest, I’ve read it was absolutely brutal.

I was considering smudging WHQ / WHFRP / Mordheim / AoS together when we pick up the campaign again, so we can have all sorts of crazy shenanigans going on. I’m sure it won’t be too hard to cross the characters across the platforms.

Mordheim. Well after the initial release, Mordheim fever would sweep through our local league and we would play it exclusively on our gaming night instead of WHFB. I have the video game remake, but it lacks unit the depth of unit customization conversion allows, and my old league's camaraderie and creativity. 

On 11/14/2018 at 8:50 PM, Gothicwaltz said:

Mordheim. Well after the initial release, Mordheim fever would sweep through our local league and we would play it exclusively on our gaming night instead of WHFB. I have the video game remake, but it lacks unit the depth of unit customization conversion allows, and my old league's camaraderie and creativity. 

Yes! And with only a handful of models. I have to think that at some point we'll see something like this again for AoS.

I too would like Mordheim to come back, but I think AoS Skirmish would probably need to get a proper release first.

A potential problem though with Mordheim in AoS is that it'll be very "separate" in terms of theme, moreso than the original! Assuming they keep with the theme of "very low powered" warbands (as oppose to Shade Spire who are at the same level as the normal armies)

Mordheim takes place in an alternate time period. Therefore, Age of Sigmar is irrelevant to a re-release of Mordheim. It's fine if GW wants to re-imagine the rules and setting for the game, but just because it's a "fantasy setting" doesn't mean it has anything to do with Age of Sigmar. Nor should it (in my opinion). They re-released Blood Bowl and Necromunda, they can re-release Mordheim.

Mordheim is alive and well in central Vermont. I would be very much interested in a new edition of the game, as long as it maintained the grim character of the original post-apocalyptic treasure-hunting skirmish game. Please don't put Stormcast in it.

Archived