SCE player looking for some help

Fyre

So, i started playing about a year ago and build myself a SCE army over some months. But ever since the new edition came out, i found myself in quite a strange spot. All of my existing units got either nerfed or power creeped by the new, shiny sacrosanct chamber. Now with the massive restriction of the wholly-whitin rule and the gutting of all the battalions from the old book i found myself struggling really hard to keep up with the local meta (DoK/Khorne/Skyre). 

Sure, the new book gave me some new tools aswell, but the negative aspects pretty much overweigh them.  I just cant justify myself buying so many new units from the sacrosanct chamber because they just power creep my old existing ones (because i would pretty much have to buy a whole new 2k points army).  Also the new chamber doesnt look to be doing that well in a competetive environment either...

However i like the style of SCE with a lower model count, elite army. I just dont like playing with multiple unit blocks of 30 or 40 models. 

Is there any other (relatively) competetive army out there with the same style? (Besides the obvious Beastclaw Raiders)

4 minutes ago, Fyre said:

Is there any other (relatively) competetive army out there with the same style? (Besides the obvious Beastclaw Raiders)

Not sure what planet you've been on but BCR are pretty low on the competitive ladder! Especially if you use their start collecting box

For SCE if you want a "quick fix" theres always Gavriel bomb. Yea its overplayed but it works (well its a one trick pony so it can be countered, but when it works it works)

I know that theyre pretty bad, but the elite aspect of the army is the same, thats what i meant ^^

Well yeah, Gavriel is neat but playing it with subpar Retributors instead of Evocators just doesnt feel great..

My salvation when it comes to stormcast has been to go heavy shooting. I’m actually not happy about AoS having heavy shooting armies, but it’s extremely effective when you get it working. Also as people have mentioned, you may have to swallow your pride and use Gavriel. If you are worried about being competitive, sooner or later you’re going to have to use the tools at your disposal, or continue losing.

Also apparently armies consisting almost completely of sequitors and evocators seems to be doing very well in tournaments lately, and if you don’t care about variety and just want results, start painting sequitors and evocators.

If you opponent agrees, you can just pretend the old stormcast to be the new one. For example, treat liberator as sequitor and treat retributor as evocator in the game. DOK is just too OP for now and no other players really have a good way to deal with them. Wait until new FAQ, I bet they will be nerfed a lot. For Khorne, I suggest you bring some celestial ballista(find some sold alone soul war ones on ebay, they are prettey cheap, about 10-15 bucks), they can both do damage and used a obstacle to block Khorne's DS and charging, which is very crucial to Khorne. Evocators are actually pretty good at doing damage, they just outperform retributor in all aspects. 

Another suggestion, if you want to play heavy shooting. Either bring 4 ballista with a ordinator and DS them anywhere on the battle within 18' of the target you want to shoot. They can just almost shoot anything to dead in single turn. If you want to sniping enemy's HQ, use a unit of 6 or 9 raptors with longstrike, they are pretty well doing their job with anvil's CA. If playing against Nighthaunt, a unit of 9 raptor with hurricane will be a great choice, DS them within 18' and you have 81 4+ 4+ shoots against those nasty ghost ignoring rend. If you use the anvil CA and lucky enough, you will have 162 4+ 4+ shoots in a single turn.

On 11/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Fyre said:

So, i started playing about a year ago and build myself a SCE army over some months. But ever since the new edition came out, i found myself in quite a strange spot. All of my existing units got either nerfed or power creeped by the new, shiny sacrosanct chamber. Now with the massive restriction of the wholly-whitin rule and the gutting of all the battalions from the old book i found myself struggling really hard to keep up with the local meta (DoK/Khorne/Skyre). 

Sure, the new book gave me some new tools aswell, but the negative aspects pretty much overweigh them.  I just cant justify myself buying so many new units from the sacrosanct chamber because they just power creep my old existing ones (because i would pretty much have to buy a whole new 2k points army).  Also the new chamber doesnt look to be doing that well in a competetive environment either...

However i like the style of SCE with a lower model count, elite army. I just dont like playing with multiple unit blocks of 30 or 40 models. 

You basically can't go elite without Gavriel, you will be either slow or poorly protected, too low damage to fight for objectives, too low bodycount to contest them. This edition is not about elite armies.

That's what I expected. Guess I'll just stick to stormcast and get the new sacrosanct stuff, although I really despise the power creeping. 

What Arcanum would you recommend for the sequitor tax? Is the griph charger still the best one? For use with Gavriel and evocators on foot. 

Also what's the better deal, ballistas or hurricane raptors? And how's the ordinator and/or azyros doing with them? 

Lastly I believe the only wizard worth taking is the incantor (btw why is averon so expensive point wise).  How are the endless spells doing? 

Thanks in advance! 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:15 AM, Fyre said:

I think Idoneth Deepkin is currently the best elite army under the current rules

Archived