Azyrite Townscape

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Did the receipt detail the item or was it just a generic "1 @ $60" thing?

I'm concerned that unless the receipt specifically shows the name of the item, you might be hosed.

I don't know, sorry. But if I have to guess, I would say it was generic. Here in Italy -besides supermarkets- receipt detailing goods aren't very common.

After they wrote me that it’s just the wrong instructions manual that came with the box I replied that the pictures on the box and the spruce shown on their website are totally different in what is in the box. 

They again replied and confirmed that it’s a mistake and that the sprue shown on their website is not content of the box. 

As I’ve build the two bigger ruins before I recognized this I think I’ve to live with it. 

1 hour ago, Redmanphill said:

So what exactly is in the kit? Am I understanding that the sprue below is not supposed to be there?

4 minutes ago, Ashes said:

Instead of that sprue it contains half of the content of the older Azyrite Ruins. 

Those Ruins sprues are actually shown on the listing (2 sprues, half the size of the bigger sprue), but it doesnt show the 2 different double level wall big sprues.

2 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

So what exactly is in the kit? Am I understanding that the sprue below is not supposed to be there?

1 hour ago, Ashes said:

Instead of that sprue it contains half of the content of the older Azyrite Ruins. 

Trying to be clear about this. What's actually missing is the piece in the bottom centre of the below image - right? The long single story wall with 2 windows and 3 doorways?

99120299051_AzyriteTownship01.jpg

Instead of that what is included is this?

99220299067_BlastedHallowheart09.jpg

Edited by zedatkinszed

Well, my Friendly Local Gaming Store have just given me the replacement which they received from GW. Unsurprisingly, it contains the exact same thing as the one I returned to them on Monday. Given what other people have heard back I guess there's not much else to be done at this point. I wasn't going to make a fuss to the shop keeper, since its not their fault, and I'm not keen to try to sue games workshop for false advertising over a £30 kit!

That said, I am really disappointed by the way this has turned out, and GW's apparent handling of the situation. I've been quite pro GW over the last year or so, but my attitudes to them are definitely swinging back to neutral after this.

Ironically, prior to this all, I'd been considering getting the Blasted Hallowheart set in order to get the longer wall section. That assuredly isn't going to be happening now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 2:25 PM, James S said:

I have a feeling they knew about it. This was a big terrain release and they hardly promoted it at all. 

My account of things, I recall on launch day that it wasn’t listed among the preorder terrain button, but that you had to dig through pre-orders to find it. My local FLGS did not receive one on launch day (States) and I had to order it separately through them (Which I didn’t receive until today).

So I have this funny idea that they may have known there was an issue with the box.

• Like 1

There's also the fact that they'd shown off the taller wall sections months ago, back when the first set of Azyrite Ruins were released. It seems like it was all designed at once, but it took them a while to figure out what they were going to do with the different pieces. Clearly someone changed their mind as to which pieces were going in each set, but somewhere in the chain of command the message got lost. 

As a consumer we basically want the cheapest possible way to get the complete variety of ruins. As a company they know that unique sets will sell more than duplicate ones, and so want to make sure that as many people as possible buy a ruins box, a townscape box, and a blasted hallowheart box. Or wait until Christmas and splurge on the big bundle. I suspect that they realised that they were stealing the thunder of the larger set, by releasing a more affordable way to get the long ruin segment at the same time. No way to know for sure though.

12 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

My account of things, I recall on launch day that it wasn’t listed among the preorder terrain button, but that you had to dig through pre-orders to find it. My local FLGS did not receive one on launch day (States) and I had to order it separately through them (Which I didn’t receive until today).

So I have this funny idea that they may have known there was an issue with the box.

Mine was available for preorder from a 3rd party shop. And arrived as usual by post a few days after launch. I don't think we need to put tin foil hats on about it. More likely there was an issue between HQ and where the item was packed/made.

The product had almost zero marketing. There was no fanfare, no videos, nothing which IS strange but it wasn't until this thread and the feedback started to happen that GW reacted.

Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't made an apology or explanation post on the community site about this issue.  It would be better for them to "get in front of this". 

I'm happy enough with the set, but it was a pretty major mistake, and I fully understand why people are angry.

• Like 1

I doubt GW knew in advance otherwise they'd have quickly changed all their website photos before it went on sale. Far better to just change the product then than to send out orders and get complaints back. GW could sell them in any combination they like so there's no reason for them to lie up front about what would be in the box.

More likely one of a few things happened:

1) GW central changed an idea and for some reason that change did not get communicated to the full team. Either the change was to add or remove something and it only made it so far. Considering that photographs and instructions are likely made/designed in GW HQ chances are that department got the change, but the factory doing the packing didn't. A communication error that could be GW or factory or both

2) The factory put out the wrong packing and production instructions to their manufacturing side and as a result all the boxes were wrongly packed. A factory error. 

3) GW likely didn't notice since the shipment was probably all sent over in one big container and by the time they cracked open boxes to sell the item was already shipped to distributors. 

4) Much of hte GW terrain doesn't get much fanfare before launch, normally one post or a bit of a post and that is about it. It's just not a product line that GW bigs up as much unless its something big and impressive like a huge orbital cannon; or tied into a campaign that is going on. 

Whatever happened clearly something went wrong, though in the grand scheme of things its thankfully a minor error for gamers. For GW its a more major error that either highlights issues with their internal communications or issues with their overseas factory and if you've followed any Kickstarters the factories can be a nightmare in some countries. Often able to produce great masters and sample castings, but then really letting quality and packing slip when it come to actual mass production. So without any further info my money would be more on it being a 3rd party factory error than a GW central error (considering that, by and large, GW gets the right stuff in 99.9% of their own produced product)

• Like 3

Putting aside the fact that they included a repacked sprue from the other Ruins kit, I am really loving the other two pieces. The walls are high enough to block line of sight for most units and the balconies/doors make for interesting positioning requirements. This is a great piece of scenery.

• Like 3

I do really like how modular it is as well. As I was painting it, I was thinking that the larger walls only stuck together in a couple of ways, but once I realised you can also combine them with the smaller wall segments the number of possibilities has vastly increased. I like how the broken floor piece can fit in several different ways, depending on how you connect the walls as well.

22 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I do really like how modular it is as well. As I was painting it, I was thinking that the larger walls only stuck together in a couple of ways, but once I realised you can also combine them with the smaller wall segments the number of possibilities has vastly increased. I like how the broken floor piece can fit in several different ways, depending on how you connect the walls as well.

Can you reassemble them after painting or only during assembly and painting. 

I am happy to pay more for GW stuff because the quality and customer service is so good. Consumer law in Australia would indeed require that they accept returns with a full refund. Have they not done this? It is unfortunate but probably reasonable on their part if they don't offer the missing sprue as long as they accept a full refund if requested. If they haven't corrected the website immediately then that is appalling.  An apology via Warhammer Community would certainly be appropriate.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:29 PM, Kramer said:

Can you reassemble them after painting or only during assembly and painting. 

So long as you paint all the pieces to match, they can be rearranged as much as you like. They are designed to be stored as flat wall sections and snapped together when you set up the table. I'll see if I can post some photos of different ways they can be combined.

• Thanks 1

Here are some pictures of how it goes together. The original Azyrite Ruins kit has three long wall sections and three shorter types with right handed connections. So these can be assembled in any of the nine permutations shown in the first picture.

IMG_6956.JPG.a31745a1f2bb7e97fc7f1be535938b64.JPG

Clearly you only get one of each type in this set. This is basically three sprues worth of ruins.
The taller pieces can be assembled by attaching a long and short wall together, as shown in the box art. and the floor pieces fit in quite neatly in this arrangement. I've not tried standing any heavy metal models on them, but they seem fairly stable for lightweight ones.

IMG_6961.JPG.da22f2f295b427839324490fdce7b848.JPG

IMG_6960.JPG.c6fa5760f0031b8550cca3852e00c758.JPG

You can then connect the two long pieces and the two short pieces, to make a very large building, and a smaller piece. The broken floor segment can be attached to the larger piece, so that the floor still fits in this combination.

IMG_6962.JPG.587bd8496e53eba3d76cefced4bafdaf.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG.15fee9de39f21d207180baa5ade982a9.JPG

The smaller azyrite ruins pieces can also be attached to the double height wall segments, using a smaller piece to fill in the "gap" in the attachment. (The two adapters can also be put together to make a freestanding column. )IMG_6969.JPG.6ce5fa1c4abdb266fe702bb19415a8ae.JPG

I think putting the smaller Azyrite ruin sprues in this kit makes a lot of sense, and makes it the much better of the two options. I'd still have lived to have had that longer single storey section that's shown on the box. Maybe one day!

I've tried to keep the same basic colour scheme across all the sections, to make them interchangeable. Clearly some sections have ended up with slightly darker washes than others, so its not a perfect match, but these still basically look as though they belong together once you get them on the table, so I'm pretty happy with how its turned out over all.

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, Ashes said:

Update from my side: After they sent me the updated instruction manual and I complained again GW sent me the correct sprue. It’s exactly the one shown on the pack and website but it’s grey plastic and labeled 2017. 

Interesting, perhaps its worth the rest of us keeping on at them in that case.

3 hours ago, MacDuff said:

I'd like to get this kit but not until this is sorted out.

There is not much left to  sort out really. The kit is what it is. It was misleading, but now we know.  If you want the sprues that are actually in it (which you can read this thread for the details) then buy it.