Effectiveness of old slaves to darkness

TGCMactar

Hi everyone.

after a full year of break time from killing, maiming and burning i am planning to get back into aos!

i know that there is a new generals handbook and rule book so i just want to know of the most significant differences to the last edition. but i just want to know if my old std army is still decent.

chaos lord on mount

chaos lord on manticore

30 chaos warriors

20 marauders

10 knights

gorebeast chariot

sorcerer 

thank you

Slaves are still decent enough (though usually you want to be a god allegiance to get some neat map wide effects, spell lores, and support pieces).

I think the only thing that might wanna change is get some more knights and swap out some of the warriors. Warriors are good anvils but you may want some more hammers.

Main differences is that;

reinforcement points have been abolished, summoning spells/abilities have been removed/limited respectively, non-generals can use command abilities unless the command abilities states only a general can use it, to use command abilities you need to spend command points, you start with one command point for each battalion in your list as well as an additional CP for every 50 points your army is understrength then generate 1 command point each hero phase, inspiring presence is used during the battleshock phase and only last for that battleshock phase, there are 2 additional command abilities for the move/charge phase (auto 6 for running/reroll charge), "endless spells" you can spend army points on which include balewind vortex, realm artefacts you can pick from if you say your army is from one of the 7 realms, units get -1 to hit non monster heroes that are next to a unit with 3+ models (look out sir)

As for changes to the StD allegiance:

Because reinforcement points have been abolished, "Eye of the Gods" allegiance abilitiy's "Spawndom" and "Dark Apotheosis" results are more than just take/heal d3 damage as well as the Lord of Chaos on foot's "Glory or Damnation" ability isn't useless.

Daemon Princes now have the StD keyword so you can run one straight up instead of allying one in or summoning one.

New unit in the Darkoath warqueen who was the chaos herald in the malign portents narrative.

Upcoming/Rumors

A darkoath warband for shadespire/underworlds is coming out soon

A battletome for either darkoath/slaves to darkness or a mixed warriors of chaos tome including everchosen is rumored because 2 of the other "heralds" got updated armies (stormcast and nighthaunt) and the third one (moonclan) is rumored to be released early next year.

4 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

Main differences is that;

reinforcement points have been abolished, summoning spells/abilities have been removed/limited respectively, non-generals can use command abilities unless the command abilities states only a general can use it, to use command abilities you need to spend command points, you start with one command point for each battalion in your list as well as an additional CP for every 50 points your army is understrength then generate 1 command point each hero phase, inspiring presence is used during the battleshock phase and only last for that battleshock phase, there are 2 additional command abilities for the move/charge phase (auto 6 for running/reroll charge), "endless spells" you can spend army points on which include balewind vortex, realm artefacts you can pick from if you say your army is from one of the 7 realms, units get -1 to hit non monster heroes that are next to a unit with 3+ models (look out sir)

As for changes to the StD allegiance:

Because reinforcement points have been abolished, "Eye of the Gods" allegiance abilitiy's "Spawndom" and "Dark Apotheosis" results are more than just take/heal d3 damage as well as the Lord of Chaos on foot's "Glory or Damnation" ability isn't useless.

Daemon Princes now have the StD keyword so you can run one straight up instead of allying one in or summoning one.

New unit in the Darkoath warqueen who was the chaos herald in the malign portents narrative.

Upcoming/Rumors

A darkoath warband for shadespire/underworlds is coming out soon

A battletome for either darkoath/slaves to darkness or a mixed warriors of chaos tome including everchosen is rumored because 2 of the other "heralds" got updated armies (stormcast and nighthaunt) and the third one (moonclan) is rumored to be released early next year.

we already seen the darkoath warband

1 hour ago, TGCMactar said:

so what do you guys suggest for the allegiances that are effective in this edition?  i have usually ran slaanesh or pure std

Chaos -> Plaguetouched Warband, Fatesworn Warband, Nurgle, Khorne, Slaanesh, Slaves to Darkness -> Ruinbringer Warband should be all reasonable.

Theres a slaves battleforce on the horizon which contains a warshrine and looks the perfect pick up for expanding on your existing range (theres another thread on here where people are discussing its contents).

Khorne is always a good mark for slaves because of all the buffs available from khorne heroes. Either mark your slaves khorne, keep slaves allegiance and ally in a bloodsecrator, bloodstoker, aspiring deathbringer, etc or just go Khorne allegiance. Warshrines particularly like being in a khorne allegiance because they act as a mobile totem for bloodreavers and can take an additional prayer from the khorne blood blessings. 

Slaanesh is great for adding speed to slaves but that only really happens when you go Slaanesh allegiance. Some slaanesh characters have useful buffs if allied in to a slaves allegiance.

Dont have experience with Tzeentch or Nurgle however I think the same concept applies.  

In all cases the god specific battletomes pretty much already have an equivalent unit choice to slaves. For example Khorne has blood warriors and Skull Crushers instead of chaos warriors and chaos knights. However they each do their thing slightly differently and its not uncommon to blend in units from both allegiances. 

I’ve had great success with a Nurgle alliance StD army, between a harbinger, warshrine and a lord of blights your army becomes very resilient really fast, knights and Marauders love blades of putrefaction, and the tree lets you move really quickly with running and charging, along with nurgles speed buffs

Archived