Actual base sizes?

gorkij

Hey all, I'm in the process of producing some mdf bases - and something rather interesting struck me while working with my caliper and doing some laser work : what is the true base size of our beloved games? A 40mm base is actually something like 39,25 mm wide, so should I aim to exactly duplicate that measurement for playability or simply ignore that and go for a "true" 40mm diameter?

23 minutes ago, syph0n said:

I laser cut my bases, though didn't have the bevel. I just drew the appropriate shape in Illustrator and typed in the sizes. Base to base I can't tell the difference but you can see they're not bevelled looking face on. 

Aye, but do you run them as a circle set for say, 40mm and then adjust your kerf? Because running a pure 40mm would mean mine would be slightly bigger.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

I would say as exact as possible. Although just might be my personal ambition in projects like that ?

As to the told measurements or as to the original product?

8 hours ago, gorkij said:

Aye, but do you run them as a circle set for say, 40mm and then adjust your kerf? Because running a pure 40mm would mean mine would be slightly bigger.

As to the told measurements or as to the original product?

I have no idea what the kerf is. I just asked to use the laser cutter at work and provided the AI file. ?

However, upon testing, my circular bases are pretty much the same back to back. The ovals, however, measure slightly longer but same width. 

9 hours ago, syph0n said:

I have no idea what the kerf is. I just asked to use the laser cutter at work and provided the AI file. ?

However, upon testing, my circular bases are pretty much the same back to back. The ovals, however, measure slightly longer but same width. 

:) That's the simple way of doing it. Kerf is what burns off to either side of the laser beam. I guess I could do a trace/scan, but that'd take away the fun of mathematical SVG-file-making... :) Or, simply ignore the 1/10 of a millimeter that's off at the moment.

2 hours ago, gorkij said:

:) That's the simple way of doing it. Kerf is what burns off to either side of the laser beam. I guess I could do a trace/scan, but that'd take away the fun of mathematical SVG-file-making... :) Or, simply ignore the 1/10 of a millimeter that's off at the moment.

Ignore! 

Without the bevel they're different anyway. When the model is based and painted, it's almost irrelevant. 

Thanks for explaining kerf. Our laser cutter is probably getting on for 12 or more years old, I doubt it's all that accurate but I was really happy with the bases anyway. 

On 11/11/2018 at 9:16 AM, syph0n said:

Ignore! 

Without the bevel they're different anyway. When the model is based and painted, it's almost irrelevant. 

Thanks for explaining kerf. Our laser cutter is probably getting on for 12 or more years old, I doubt it's all that accurate but I was really happy with the bases anyway. 

Cheers, I guess I'll go with "close enough" for the future. It'll form the base (ehehe) of any future lasered base toppers I make for my wee company too. :)

Archived