Vampire Lord Chalice Additions

Royal_Assassin

Question

Hello all,

I'm new to Age of Sigmar and was hoping for some help with the Vampire Lord Chalices of blood.

I just got this guy (winged vampire lord): https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Winged-Vampire-Lord

And I noticed he does not have a chalice of blood.  I've seen from other FAQs that you can add one to his model to get the benefit of the chalice, but I had some questions about how to get one/what counts for matched play.

I see my VLoZD has one on his belt, but I don't want to handicap him and it seems a waste to buy that chick vampire lord just to chop the goblet out of her hand and give it to the winged guy.  I was thinking of two options:

1. Use a dremel to carve a goblet out of leftover sprue.  Or

2. I have some leftover stormcast heads that seem the perfect size to craft into a goblet with a dremel (not to mention that would be nice and fluffy/cool for a vampire lord to make a goblet out of a defeated foe's skull).

Would either of those ideas work for matched play?

6 answers to this question

If you're making sure the WAACs (people who will win even if it means pissing their opponent off) don't come and get you, sure those are really creative ways to make a chalice. You could also try to carve one out of green stuff if you think you got the steady hand for it. In 99% of cases people would applaud your creativity and welcome it.

In a more realistic friendly scenario you can just take your Vampire Lord as is and just say he's got a chalice. In my experience most people won't mind since it's only one model.

Case in point I have older Vampire models that I use as Vampire Lords. When I play them I tell people they have the chalice and the wings since the model doesn't have either and they're okay with it. It all depends on your local community and how they deal with those situations.

In my area people are just cool with additions like that, even if they're not on the model. Example; my friend has a Vampire Lord model with no Chalice or wings but we just say she is hiding one in her cloak and turns into a bat swarm when she flies.

But ueah, modeling one put of green stuff would be cool and fun and totally okay.

I think purists would have something to say if the figure wasn’t converted, and some would even resent that as otherwise there’s no point the rules reading some have the chalice and some have membranous wings as neither have both it’s one or the other or none. A bit like the nighthaunt guardian of souls - one has lantern, one has hourglass, each gives a different benefit so to field one with lantern and say he’s got the hourglass under the cloak, or add one, would be a bit rich. I personally have the winged vampire lord, use him as an ally, but he can only fly and I don’t use the chalice of blood rule as he hasn’t got it.

The only time I really argued about wysiwyg was when I played against BCR with allied Butcher, the guy said he has the cauldron and I showed him how a mini with a cauldron supposed to look like and that it goes on a different base. But about things like chalice I wouldn't care much.

Archived