Daughters of Khaine - First Foray into NNM

Yoshiya

Just started my Daughters of Khaine army and I was inspired by following work by WL OP to attempt to paint using Non-Metallic Metals.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AAkvX

For a first attempt I'm pretty happy with how it went though I feel like I want able to capture the effect on the cloth as I wanted.

I'd love any c&c people can offer, especially on how to get faster (this one model took a week and a half's worth of work and I have 29 to go...)

received_324594801655410.jpeg

received_2224388247631184.jpeg

received_1967241193577716.jpeg

received_1105285719634106.jpeg

received_1052892771554831.jpeg

received_1830715913692635.jpeg

Looks really good, a lot better then my first attempt at NMM. You'll probably get faster better after a couple of models. But NMM is a pretty time consuming technique. I think the final edge highlight should be pure white, I can't tell if it is in these pictures? also, I find some very subtle glazes really help to ake colors pop (yellow on the gold, purple or dark red for the shade on the gold, blue for the shades of the silver).

keep it up!

2 hours ago, elfhead said:

Looks really good, a lot better then my first attempt at NMM. You'll probably get faster better after a couple of models. But NMM is a pretty time consuming technique. I think the final edge highlight should be pure white, I can't tell if it is in these pictures? also, I find some very subtle glazes really help to ake colors pop (yellow on the gold, purple or dark red for the shade on the gold, blue for the shades of the silver).

keep it up!

Thanks!

I think unfortunately the fact that the only well light area in my flat has yellow lighting means that the white highlights get a yellow hint to them and blend in with the gold in the above pictures. I really need to set up a light box sometime.

As for glazing I actually did a yellow glaze all over on the gold, with a red glaze in the darker areas. The silver was done with blue and in real life I actually worry that it looks a bit too blue aha.

I like the idea of a purple glaze for the gold recesses though. I didn't feel like the red was showing at all so purple may help making it richer than the red was. May go back and make the yellow pop a bit more (or at least experiment with it more on the next model).

Thanks for the feedback, it's a huge help :)

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Only criticism I have: the lips - that‘s not how lips look like, currently they look like Botox wheels =} 

the rest rocks

Aha yea, the lips are a bit off. I really struggled getting it to look like she hadn't just smeared lipstick all over her face aha 

Don't suppose you have any tips on painting lips? Would be a big help if someone knows how to get them looking right.

Generally you only want to color the lower lip. For example, here's some pics of the 'eavy metal witches, taken from GW's site:

99120212020_DoKWitchAelves03.jpg

Anyways, really nice job on the NMM and the painting in general. I was thinking that some areas could use a bit more definition, like the ears and the hands (the skintone and the gold handle are pretty similar).

A few thoughts:

1) I like the splash of orange on the tassels, it gives a bit of colour into an otherwise darker region

2) When it comes to photos try a light box. Basically get a large cardboard box and cut the middle of the top and sides out. Now stick a white plain sheet of paper over each of the openings you've made. Now all the light that enters the box from the top and sides is filtered through the paper - and thus should take on a whiter colour. Just position your lighting above/behind (to block) and beside (eg stand lamps) to illuminate the model. It should help you get cleaner light to work with that doesn't colour your models an abnormal shade. 

Archived