How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)

elfhead

• 7 months later...
On 1/2/2017 at 9:28 AM, elfhead said:

work took up all my time, but two weeks of Christmas holliday are finally here. I've got a lot of projects on the go, my backlog just keeps growing. But I've managed to finish some things.

Here's what I'm working on. First up are the sisters of silence , converted (slightly) to fit in as Slaaneshi chosen. I've ordered the old female inquisitor to take the unit up to 6 models.

8rUVshpl.jpg

6ewOOn7l.jpg

8HMJCcfl.jpg

I love this idea, if I ever actually get around to finishing some of my other projects this fits exactly something I was thinking of.  But I was curious to know, how much of your conversion work was filing/scraping away Imperial motifs and how much was using greenstuff to cover it up?  Like the shoulders, specifically, are those carefully filed smooth to eliminate the Aquila?  Or did you just kind of fill in the gaps to make a smooth face for some awesome freehand scrollwork it looks like?

• Like 4

Filing and scraping I can do, I haven't really worked much with greenstuff.  I figured if I wanted to actually PLAY and build an army I'd take your idea here of the SoS as Chosen, maybe see how they look swapping their swords for the Dark Elf Executioner blades.  Then, for Warriors, use a combination of Stormcast Liberators with Vanguard Hunter chests/cloaks and Chaos Warrior shields.  The heads and weapons I'm less settled on...do you have an opinion on if the Hellstriders heads would look too small or not "Warrior" enough?  Weapons would probably be swords from the Dark Elf Dreadspears, I've just always seen Slaanesh as more of a sword and polearm group than axes and maces.

Anyway, enough babbling of my project.  Love what you've made here, really a stunning warband/army.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evendel said:

Then, for Warriors, use a combination of Stormcast Liberators with Vanguard Hunter chests/cloaks and Chaos Warrior shields.  The heads and weapons I'm less settled on...do you have an opinion on if the Hellstriders heads would look too small or not "Warrior" enough? 

Very interested in this as well, I've wanted to make the exact same kitbash for nearly a year now but it's always had to wait. After my Brayherd is "complete" I'll definitely start a Slaanesh mortal army. The dark elf weapons are a good call I think, but I really want to see what it would look like! Edit: Black Guard halberds would also be great for chaos warriors with halberds.

Edited by Swooper

Just wanted to say this has been an absolutely fantastic project. This is what Warhammer is all about, IMO. Such a vivid story, such epic models, such creativity, it is all fantastic.

I have been wanting to do something like this for a long while, basically since I started Warhammer. The idea of a long and well detailed road marking a journey from lowly mortal to immortal Demon Prince is one of the greatest and most iconic stories arguably in all of Warhammer. Sadly, I can never decide on a god, nor can I ever find the time and money to do it PROPERLY. Maybe one day...

• Like 1

@Evendel @Swooper dark elf weapons are almost always a good choice for slaanesh warriors. The hellstrider heads probably work with the stormcast bodies. I think there is another plog on here somewhere that used stormcast for slaanesh warriors. Just be sure to do enough so that they don’t just look like stormcasts with a headswap. Did you see the slaaneshi chaos marine that was on the ‘les kouzes’ blog. That was fantastic, bases on the Neave blacktalon model.

@flamingwalnut Thanks man! I really enjoyed this project. It incorporated a lot of ideas I had for years. Like creating a character/Hero for every realm of Ulthuan. 

The ascendence to daemon prince is a cool concept, but I really wanted it to make sence. For Slaanesh in particular it shouldn’t just be about just killing and fighting a lot. What really helped me was to think about why Slaanesh would grant daemonhood to a follower, what is in it for him? When It was mentioned in ET:archaon that Slaanesh wasn’t sure he wanted the old world to end, it all came together. I think a lot of players can relate to Thalion, trying to figure out a way to save some parts of the old world...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That’s the one. I actually was inspired by someone else who used this model for a conversion. The model was perfect with his ornate armor and lots of gema with very little futuristische 40k elementaire. 

I added wings from the dark eldar scourges and the head is from dark elf warlocks. I reppsitoned te legs and used his spear as a flying stand. 

Cool stuff, great models, but I may be wrong (English is not my first language) but

"Though easily over two centuries old, Thalion looks like a young elf merely 300 years of age."

If he is only 200 (two centuries) and looks like 300 that is not a great gift, or  perhaps he wishes to look older ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, no new mini's... but rather an idea. Sharing my thoughts about the narrative for my armies with other hobby enthousiasts has helped me a great deal in the past, so lets see what it does this time.

The Daughters of Khaine release got me excited to continue working on my cult of Slaanesh elves. The serpentine warriors would make an amazing addition to the army I think. But to be able to work on an army I need a narrative, it helps me stay motivated and come up with new ideas for units and conversions. 

The original story was about Thalion, a high elf prince secretly dedicated to Slaanesh. during the End times he used his power to collect the greatest works of art created by elves in order to save them from the end of the world. Thalion eventually succeded to 'fly' away in the Jade palace, keeping his collection save, thus pleasing Slaanesh greately and reaching daemonhood. 

Fast forward to the age of Sigmar, Thalion is a reclusive demi-god living in his jade palace on the highest point of a massive city in the realm of Light. The city is populated by a lot of artisans, who Thalion grants inspiration through dreams. Thalions commands the city through his commanders, the Oreinoi.

For me the story of Thalion is pretty much finished, hence I haven worked on this army for some time. He reached his goals and became a daemon prince. I like to have him in the background, but for some fresh new ideas I need a new protagonist. I think this should be Eurenil. originally a young elf that started to follow Thalions cult and has followed him all the way into the Age of Sigmar. But now he has grown dissatisfied with Thalion, who has grown aloof and absent-minded. He wants to become a force of power in his own right (allthough why exactly isn't clear yet. is he just dissapointed or is there more to motivate him). To grow his own power Eurenil will have to play all sorts of political games and build alliances. I see him reaching out to a vampire who has been searching for the perfect taste of blood in the high ranking families of the city. I see Eurenil bribing the city militia to gain acces to the realmgate that goes to the realm of shadows. I see him in a very uneasy alliance with the daughters f Khaine, risking to rub Morathi the wrong way. Eurenil is not afraid to get dirty and might even have some influence in the pleasure houses in the lower parts of the city.

I'm not sure how to represent Eurenil as a model, as he's probably not a fighter but more of a politician. But I think this direction leads me towards a lot of fun projects, model-wise, some new units or character conversions.

please let me know what you think of this direction. any feedback or ideas are welcome. 

• Like 6

Eurenil could be a "fixer" of sorts, making a living by helping vampires acquire encounters with specific figures (possibly nobility) within the city's pleasure houses. I like the idea of a disillusioned cultist using the seedy nature of the setting for a purpose that may be unwittingly helping a completely different god, in this case Nagash.  That feels in line with the MP storyline that will be running simultaneously.  Maybe his reach for power takes him to the DoK in search of a vintage for a given vampire. There's all sorts of directions you could then take the story as he uncovers the motivations of different groups he's in contact with. In particular, it would be fun to see him struggle with how to make personal gain while not contributing to a given group destroying/conquering his home, or maybe that ends up being his choice to spite Thalion. 

Anyway, just an idea about how to tie together the pieces you mentioned above. Loved your previous storyline, and can't wait to follow this one!

@Swooper and @The Traitor I think you're right I should create a completely new character born in the Age of Sigmar. I might still be clinging to much to the old world... I think it might be  more interesting to create a character that is a lower ranking follower of Thalion, working his way up. But he might find out more than he was prepared for. It could be fun to write about a character that finds out the truth about Thalion but also encountering other characters of different races and armies, enabling me to do conversions/paintjobs for the odd character from differnt ranges. 

At this point Iḿ thinking this new character could start a the captain of a unit of warriors, or someone charged to collect artworks from different worlds. He/she could also be a translater, who has to be in contact with all kinds of different races living in the city ruled over by Thalion...

• Like 1

Great idea for a new force and narrative that builds off the old. I love the idea of Eurenil, though agree with @swooper that he should  probably be a "new" character and not a WFB survivor.

The idea of a diplomat suggests a load of really cool imaginary depending on where you want to take Eurenil's look. You could even have him modelled in a load off different costumes/looks for different missions (ceremonial robes, practical traveling gear for when he's on the road or operating incognito, airsuit for visiting Kharadron skyports, ornate armour for when he wants to cause a stir, even a couple of disguises).

His status as a diplomat could be easily conveyed by the poses you give him - gesticulating with one hand and the other on his waist, weapons (presumably a sword) holstered and hanging at his belt, possibly a scroll or writ in one hand being read aloud from.

How you choose to model him and if you decide to go for multiple looks means the possibilities are endless.

• 2 weeks later...

@Sharkbelly thanks!

I'm still working on the new narrative to continue this army. I think incorporating he malign portents seems like a good idea. So when I had a week off work I created this: a winged vampire build mostly with dark eldar parts. I had a lot of fun building him and waiting the bronze armor (a nice break from gold and silver) and especially the wings. such a large area of flesh was very interesting and I think the veins worked out pretty good. What do you think?

large.5aa2e171472b6_wingedvampire1.jpg.9medium.5aa2e18534e8a_wingedvampire3.jpg. medium.5aa2e17b29951_wingedvampire2.jpg. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3