How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)

elfhead

@Fulcanelli @Gr3g Thank you so much! glad you like my take on the hoplite elves. I'm looking forward to seeing the Lumineth, mainly because they look like classic high elves with some hoplite flavor added in. As a bg High elf fanboy I'm already planing some conversions for the Lumineth. I'm thinking making them look more like classic High elves.  I've already ordered some bits and I'm considering 3D printing some classic looking High elf shields (because they are pretty expensive to come by)

1D0zTRUl.png

• 4 weeks later...

another post in this blog that doesn't have anything to do with the title... Might need to start a new blog or something. 

Anyway, I've been working on a mini diorama for an online painting/converting contest. The contest demanded you used a specific head from the chaos marauder kit. I've used this head to create a chaos champion, but I went a little crazy and used my bitzbox to create a mini diorama featuring this chaos lord and a retinue standing triumphant after conquering a city of Sigmar.

I went for the classic black armor with gold trim and some fire elements. I'm really happy with the burning skeleton banner as I always wanted to do something like that. The flaming sword was also interesting to do as I had to figure out a way to sculpt fire. painting the flames and some OSL was a lot of fun to do so all in all this was a great little project. Let me know what you think.

4qCOdTtl.jpg

B6EmCPnl.jpg

9CHkfMql.jpg

h1UtQItl.jpg

Tq38YLZl.jpg

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 8

• elfhead changed the title to How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: chaos undivided mini diorama)

Love the mini diorama, and the lord standing triumphant on the plinth that the destroyed stormcast statue used to be on.

You did a good job with the head, considering it might be the least aesthetic  head from the marauders box.   I would like to see the other entries for this contest, it would be interesting to see how people salvage this marauder head.

I found that shaving off its big caveman brows can do a lot to make it look better and more modern, i cut the brows and earrings on one as a test, then added a beard and it makes a big difference.

Did you kitbash the chaos lord on his entirety, or is his body an existing model?

Keep up the good work!

IMG_0842.JPG

@Infernalslayer thanks! You're right about the brows, but I was afraid the head wouldn't be recognizable enough. I already chopped off the horrible topknot. The challenge was to use the head, probably because it is one of the least good looking heads available... 

the chaos lord is a pretty extensive conversion. Here is a crappy phone pic made during converting:

HRcdIybm.jpg

The sword is from the mounted bloodletter kit, chopped down a bit smaller and with added flames. the main body is from the 40k Dark vengeance chaos lord. the right arm is partially re-sculpted. the left arm is from another chaos space marine from dark vengeance. obviously I removed any 40k looking bits and added a skull to the chest plate.. the left shoulder is resculpted completely to look like fur from the cape. same goes for the back of the cape, from which I removed the backpack. The legs are actually from the stormcast that has been repurposed as a fallen statue:P the trophy-head is from a ghoul.

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just entered in the painting comp. for march 2020, here on TGA (check it out)

I did a conversion I've been thinking of for some time. It's based on the fantastic cover art of the 8th ed. dark elf army book. I think it turned out really nice. the painting was a lot of fun, but also a bit of a struggle. The OSL in particular was tricky. Eventually I went for a different light source then you see on the book, but I think it's still reminiscent of the look and feel of the artwork.

UCY7ug5l.jpg

9zc8YEVl.jpg

x6WRIZQl.jpg

Do you like the white or black background better?

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

• elfhead changed the title to How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)
8 hours ago, elfhead said:

I just entered in the painting comp. for march 2020, here on TGA (check it out)

I did a conversion I've been thinking of for some time. It's based on the fantastic cover art of the 8th ed. dark elf army book. I think it turned out really nice. the painting was a lot of fun, but also a bit of a struggle. The OSL in particular was tricky. Eventually I went for a different light source then you see on the book, but I think it's still reminiscent of the look and feel of the artwork.

UCY7ug5l.jpg

9zc8YEVl.jpg

x6WRIZQl.jpg

Do you like the white or black background better?

Definitely the black background is better, contrasts well with the fire effect and adds to the vaguely ominous feel of the mini.

Mate, this is very fine work. That diorama is top notch, really captures the feeling of the thing (and yes, that is one of the worst marauder heads...). Your entry to the painting comp is what stops me entering lol. So very well done, the cloak particularly. Really dig the colour scheme.

@elfhead maybe next months. I was pretty happy with my Wurggog for this months painting contract, but I just don't have the kind of skills that you and others here have. But anyway, I love this thread and am really impressed with what you have achieved in this. Its wonderful.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:33 AM, kaaras said:

@elfhead maybe next months. I was pretty happy with my Wurggog for this months painting contract, but I just don't have the kind of skills that you and others here have. But anyway, I love this thread and am really impressed with what you have achieved in this. Its wonderful.

Me neither but its still important to share. If only for the people that don’t have the skills you have. I know I helps me to see the people one step ahead of me instead of a mile ahead of me. :) 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, elfhead said:

@Mirbeau thanks! I did look at snakes but this picture is just perfect. There is a thin darker line between te scales though, hopefully those will be better visible in a new photo.

@KnaveOfScribes Thanks man. Instagram is a nice platform but I really enjoy these plogs,  allowing for some more interaction and depth.

I made a page from a journal of a Sigmarite witch hunter, visiting the city of Thalion. I always liked the fluff pages back in the day of the 6th ed. rulebook, fleshing out the Old world in short texts and some nice sketches. I think this way I can quickly transfer some of my ideas about the background of my army. Please let me know what you think (and keep in mind I'm not a native speaker of English). 

large.5aecbfbeed700_diaryorderofsigmar.j

How did you know about  the new ox elven in 2018?!

• Haha 1

Maybe GW reads my plog...

The ox motive is often seen in Slaanesh Iconography, so I used it. I also took inspiration from the 300 comic and film. Xerxes on his big howdy has those beautiful ox heads on it. 

You can imagine I'm happy with the big bull heads on the Lumineth helmets:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Like a lot of you, I've decided to thin out my backlog because I've got some more time on my hands now that I have to work at home (no more commuting). When the End times happened I bought some of the models I always liked but never owned. I always loved the wood elf hero with great weapon and the wood elf spell singer. A few years later I've finally put some paint on them. not the best pictures though😑

0wWiiW0l.jpg

O6P0IeZl.jpg

GVnpR5el.jpg

LCDWUc3l.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, elfhead said:

Like a lot of you, I've decided to thin out my backlog because I've got some more time on my hands now that I have to work at home (no more commuting). When the End times happened I bought some of the models I always liked but never owned. I always loved the wood elf hero with great weapon and the wood elf spell singer. A few years later I've finally put some paint on them. not the best pictures though😑

0wWiiW0l.jpg

O6P0IeZl.jpg

GVnpR5el.jpg

LCDWUc3l.jpg

Love that great weapon hero. Got it for the same reason as well. 

Great paint scheme and execution. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a couple of slow months. I've painted a few miniatures, but also worked on more 3D designs. I made another statue, could poabably be used as a Cathaller statue for Luminhet and another piece I've been wanting to make in a long time. the Salem of asuryan in Warhammer fantasy was a important place in the High elf fluff and now I've got everything I need to recreate it. 

5h4qU3il.jpg

zGUanW1l.jpg

Ui2M7xYl.jpg

635C5b8l.jpg

ngfsqCwl.jpg

3N5ji3ul.jpg

7erDKfRl.jpg

• Like 4