How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)

elfhead

thans for the replies and feedback @Gorthor21 @Somanlius. There might be more civilians down the line. But right now I'm actually working on some mini's that will take the army out of the city, which will allow for the samenons and slaangor to roam free along the elves... @daveboy I'm not familiar with the term blackening though. I guess it means having a small line of darker color between different areas? maybe you have some pics to clarify?

I figured out a way to get better pictures with less harsh lighting. although I'm doubting if I should go back and adjust the light temperature somewhat, because they appear slightly yellowish. Or is that just me?  so here are the same mini's again.

u21LorSl.jpg

6GRRXxul.jpg

5X2y9jal.jpg

• Like 8

Its a little dark but ok, keep it the way you like it better. :)

Yeah, thats what i mean with blacklining. So just an example:

Spoiler

So here you see the blacklining between the bracers and the skin, its not black in that case, its an dark brown. And what it does, it seperates the areas from each other giving them a clearer look.

DSCF3693.JPG.137323102633f04a8656d002e2a854b8.JPG

And here you see the mini. So the attention is on the skin and the bordering areas all seperated clearly with no effort. Looking at the mini i forgot to blackline one small part and you will see it so easy and fast. The green cloth by the dagger isnt, so its not that clear seperated. The rest is just by "blacklining". Get yourself an small brush with long hairs and small tip, mix your color 60/40 or 50/50 with water so it can run down your bruch pretty easy. But dont forget to strip of the excess color and test on your finger. You wont want the color to run down your mini or something!

DSCF3696.JPG.860d15a826d1435f8e50a46419929620.JPG

And sorry for my not that pleasant to read english! :D

@DeathCat147 thanks! the scar was one of my favorite parts to paint, oddly enough... by the way I love your project!

@daveboy the weird thing is the white was completely white in Photoshop... anyway, thanks for the example. This makes a lot of sense, and I'm trying it out on the model I'm currently painting. I can see how this can help to make some areas look more crisp.

Edited by elfhead

@elfhead absolutely fantastic work.  I've been looking for a way to do a slaneesh cult that was dark but still would pass for 'PG" here in the states, as one of the best times to play AoS at my FLGS is on Sundays, and I didn't want to bring a giant list of naked monsters to a store full of young families trying to train a Charmander.

Thanks for the inspiration and I absolutely love how unique the various models are.  Great work!

Edited by Zephyr

• 3 weeks later...

@Zephyr I'm glad you like my army. I guess the aspects of Slaanesh which involve a lot of nudity was one of the reasons a lot of people thought Slaanesh was gone for good. And I can understand why people can have issues with bare chested women in a store filled with kids. With AoS there has been an increasing amount of female models, which look like actual characters in the setting instead of pin-up models...

My reasons for creating this army don't have anything to do with this sentiment though. I simply feel that there is a lot more depth to the lore on Slaanesh. Slaanesh is also the god to grant creativity and inspiration, the god for every warrior who maniacally takes their skills to the extreme. these are themes I like to explore and I'd love to see those different aspects of Slaanesh represented in the miniatures. It is the things I like to explore in my snippets of lore and are also represented somewhat in my mini's.

I finished another character for the army. This is Eurenil, an elf lord who is actually possessed by a greater daemon. He holds a big position in the city and controls the brotherhood of the ox, hence his horned helmet. I painted his base to represent a mosaic featuring a bull headed daemon... hinting at his possession. I personally really like the pose.

AM76WIYl.jpg

m1mXQ1ml.jpg

and to finish of this post, a sneak peak of something I'm currently working on:

XaeGiRal.jpg

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

@elfhead could we get a picture that skews more details of the mosaic?  Looks awesome.

And I hear you - I never thought Slaanesh was going to be gone for good.  I certainly hope not, as I really want to do a vanity themed force.

Thanks again for sharing your awesome work

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely f******* gorgeous! I love the conversions and the colour scheme is really cool too. The white, gold and purples is a classic combo and the ratios you’ve used make them look classy and noble. Love it! 

The base is toooo good (dribble dribble dribble...) 

• 3 months later...

It's been a long time since I posted anything. real life was very busy, but I also kinda lost interest in Warhammer for a bit. I was pretty disappointed with the Slaanesh releases. I was expecting something along the lines of the Tzeentch release for Slaanesh. But GW decided to expand on their daemons of Slaanesh designs and didn't bring out any mortals, which I was really hoping for. 

But the last few months I have been working on something different. I'm getting to know a 3D program called Blender (which is free) and I'm really enjoying it. I decided to try and sculpt my own keeper of secrets based on my all time favorite Warhammer artwork. I might have been a little too ambitious creating a model this big and intricate... But working with this piece of art also helped me stay motivated when I had trouble with the program (and that happened a lot!).

I'm currently trying to figure out if I can get a decent 3D print from my digital creation. I'm trying a site called Shapeways. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Here are some pics of the digital mode:

vMW0x3el.png

4R9Mxewl.png 

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 3

• elfhead changed the title to How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: 3D print Keeper of secrets)
18 hours ago, elfhead said:

It's been a long time since I posted anything. real life was very busy, but I also kinda lost interest in Warhammer for a bit. I was pretty disappointed with the Slaanesh releases. I was expecting something along the lines of the Tzeentch release for Slaanesh. But GW decided to expand on their daemons of Slaanesh designs and didn't bring out any mortals, which I was really hoping for. 

But the last few months I have been working on something different. I'm getting to know a 3D program called Blender (which is free) and I'm really enjoying it. I decided to try and sculpt my own keeper of secrets based on my all time favorite Warhammer artwork. I might have been a little too ambitious creating a model this big and intricate... But working with this piece of art also helped me stay motivated when I had trouble with the program (and that happened a lot!).

I'm currently trying to figure out if I can get a decent 3D print from my digital creation. I'm trying a site called Shapeways. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Here are some pics of the digital mode:

vMW0x3el.png

4R9Mxewl.png 

Shapeways is good but you need to merge your model parts first (use 3D builder)

You should really exaggerate facial features, muscles etc. So it will be on par with GW’s style

also: Bevel the edges of The broken pillars, it will look more natural. =}

great work, especially for a beginner 

also keep in mind that a model of that size might cost you 200$ and more. You need to hollow it as a final step since that could save some money (also via 3D builder)

Edited by JackStreicher

@Remus Prime thanks!  @Cèsar de Quart that modesty remark made me laugh:D I teach art, design and media for a living so getting to know new software is kind of second nature to me. But although the model looks pretty good, there are numerous more technical problems with it. I'm currently in the process of fixing literals hundreds of vertices that are 'non-manifold'. I'm not really sure how to explain what that is but it makes it impossible to print the model, for now....

@JackStreicher thanks for the compliment and the valuable suggestions. I'm not sure what printing will cost, will have to see. I've got acces to a 3D printer at work, but it isn't that good so I'll have to see what having it printed by Shapeways will cost. 

I might even sell some prints, but I'm not sure if that is completely legal because the sculpt is based on a GW piece of art?

All i can say, is that if GW did their Keeper of Secrets like this one, i would be playing Slaanesh right now.

I bought Wrath and Rupture as i was already playing Khorne, and kept the Slaanesh half to expand into a full army once the update would come.

Fast forward to the Slaanesh release with no mortals (Plus they erased the Slaanesh lord on Boobsnake from existence) , and their new Keeper of Secrets, which while an excellent model, doesn't appeal to my likes as far as horrific greater daemons go.  So i am currently sitting on my slaanesh half from the boxset which i do not intend to expand unless i get a Keeper of Secrets that looks like the one in your renders.

In other words, make him happen please xD It looks fantastic!

• Like 1

thanks @Infernalslayer and @VBS. If GW based the new KoS on that piece of art I would have bought it instantly. Although the new KoS is a great model the esthetic is not my cup of tea.

I've been spending hours and hours on trying to get the model into a printable file. That means simplifying details, making the model ' watertight' and somehow creating something called ' wall thickness' . Which sounds simple enough, but is currently slowly driving me insane...

Here is what the model looks like right now, you can see I deleted some stuff that I would have to add using green stuff later. But the horns, claws and fingers are still not printable😭 

6sNV15Yl.png 

• Like 3

On 7/22/2019 at 5:20 PM, elfhead said:

I might even sell some prints, but I'm not sure if that is completely legal because the sculpt is based on a GW piece of art?

Anything even remotely based on art which belongs to GW will get you in big trouble =} (you can however copy the pose, but not that exact demon or characteristic features of it)

if you want to sell sth. You need to design it yourself without basing it on any of GWs products (at least not exactly basing it on it) ^_^

@elfhead feel free to pm me about 3D modeling and printing, I‘ve been doing that as a freelancer for some years by now.

I would need to see the parts that cause issues in wireframe mode, maybe there‘s an intersection, or you need to adjust the model size to be taller?

perhaps merging all parts with a Boolean will fix some issues (wallthickness issues inside of a rather thick part which makes no sense)

for that:

select the model. Go into edit mode. Press A, press p -> by loose parts

then select all parts separately and use the Boolean modifier with „union“ to merge them back together.

or just load it into 3D Builder

Edited by JackStreicher

@JackStreicher thanks for the offer, might do that sometime. 

I finally managed to get the model prepared for a print. creating enough wall thickness was really tricky because in some areas the topology of the model was pretty messed up. I also had to simplify the model and deleted some details that were to hard to print, like teeth and the tendrils on his back. The also redid the cloth but I think I actually like how it turned out. There are also are 9 'escape holes' which I'll have to fix after printing.

Now I have to wait until the print is done, hopefully it will come out right. Then I need to do some green stuff work to complete it. All in all he will cost me almost the same as the actual greater daemons, not counting the hours I spend on him (which is easily around 200 hours in total...)

this is the model that I ordered as a print. 

U8rPxQbm.png

While waiting for the print I'm painting some of my some knights and a chariot I build. I'll post some pics of those soon.

• Like 3

• elfhead changed the title to How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: 3D print KoS is here!)

@Kronos thanks! Printing my own model is a big step from buying metal elves when I firs started with Warhammer. Being able to build my own piece and add to the world of Warhammer is why I love this hobby.

So my 3D print has arrived! Below you can see a pic, with my router KoS and a warrior for size reference. The 3D print stands over 11cm high and needs a 13-mm round base😬. But I think this size is ok, as Warhammer centerpiece models like the greater daemons have been getting bigger and bigger. 

I'm really happy with how he turned out. The print is pretty smooth, although it will need some sanding and a coat or three of liquid green stuff. I will also have to add some smaller details that couldn't be printed, like the teeth, tongue, tendrils and the chain between his horns. 

3AFnWsMl.jpg

I feel like he is true to the artwork he is based on. getting the anatomy right was pretty hard but I think he looks good. He had to be powerful, but not too muscular. the head is still my favorite part, but I also had a lot of fun figuring out the parts that are not in the artwork. Like his left hadn't and his feet. In the 3D program I created hooves but in the end I decided that clawed feet would fit him better. 

I'll try to make some more pictures as I'm adding details to him and offcourse when I start painting him. 

I've also almost finished my Slaanesh chariot. Just the base and one charioteer left to do.

r7MqRDdl.jpg

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 1

@kaaras thank you!

about 5 months ago I posted some knights I made. Well, I finally finished painting those... as a 'rule' I normally build units of 6, but for these knights that was a bit to much work, so I made these two to join a knight I made earlier. I guess there are still six, if you count the mounts and riders separately:P They are very much what I want the esthetic of this army to be, so I'm really pleased with them. Let me know what you think of them.

fHMdxPxl.jpg

13RMTSVl.jpg

TyPemNvl.jpg

RohL1Rll.jpg

OBvmJV4l.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

@MarkK White can be really tricky. One thing to always remember is you only use pure white for the final highlight. So most of your white isn't pure white. I use Ulthuan grey as a base coat. For the cloth I paint it completely with ulthuan grey, sometimes with a little lahmian medium mixed in to get a smooth coat. You may need to apply up to 3 or 4 thin coats. Then shade the recesses with a mix of fenrissain grey, water and lahmian medium. after that clean up with ulthuan grey and build up some highlights with a 50/50 mix of ulthuan grey and white scar and finally a highlight with pure white scar.

also I buy ulthuan grey and white scar in the 'air' variant, because I find that these white and light grey colors clog up pretty quick. 

• Thanks 1