How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)

elfhead

It's been a productive couple of weeks (to my standard at least:P), so I have another model to show you. I really wanted to add a chariot to my army, I think chariots fit Slaanesh really well. I need up building the chariot with parts from a dark eldar ship and the daughters of khan altar, combined  with horses from the high elf chariot and some green stuff work to create a big Slaanesh symbol.For the crew I used the phoenix guard kit and added green stuff cloaks to create more movement. The spear of the charioteer is a subtle nod to the sun-chariot from greek mythology. I was worried there would be too much gold, but I think it all worked out good. It's really rewarding to see all the pieces come together, sitting on one o the biggest bases I ever used. 

here it is:

0kufl60l.jpg

tjd0QqWl.jpg

nX7vgdRl.jpg

qDJ5ymJl.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

• elfhead changed the title to How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Keeper of secrets painted)

Work has started and hobby time kinda dried up... But this weekend I managed to finish painting my 3D printed Keeper of secrets! I'm not completely happy with the pic but I'm too excited not to post it. So after more than 100 hours of 3D sculpting with Blender, ordering the 3D print, a lot of sanding and liquid green stuff and many moments of painting... here he is!

BkizyKCl.jpg

• Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted anything for a while. Allthough I love project logs and keeping track of my progress here, I find I get a lot more response on instagram. I feel like this part of tga doesn't get as much attention as it should. There are people posting paintjobs and conersions on here that are really top notch... But hey, let's not be too negative.

I converted a little elf to represent Aenerion from the artwork, battling the greater daemon of Slaanesh. I also tweaked the paintjob on the keeper a bit, adding a little more contrast (thanks for the feedback @daveboy) I could take it further, but Iḿ a little scared to go to far on a model this size.

mfxMnjBl.jpg

FT1dC3zl.jpg

Currently Iḿ working on something completely different. I build a little warband of 6 ogres and a rhino, using the ogre half of the feast of bones box. I did some converting, mostly adding some more cloth and I also made a butcher. I wanted to do someting completely differnt with my paint schem, using lots of saturated colors and patterns. It is a lot of fun painting the ogres, who are a little bigger than the elves I normally paint. 

I haven't decided on the bases yet. I'm considering using the schem GW uses for their AoS models, allthough that might be a little to dark. Another option is the lighter brown GW uses for ther 40k models. An thoughts?

c5hjgofl.jpg

• Like 13
  • LOVE IT! 2

Great job on the keeper, it was always one of my favorite pieces of art from the old chaos books, the painting is top notch too, makes me want to practice!

Really like your work on the ogres, improves the models hugely, would love to hear how you painted the steel on the left ogre.

For the bases, I'd go for for a Mongolian steppe theme, light browns/yellows and small wasteland style grass Tufts, and brown base rim.

Dont be scared, its just color. 😉 but its way better then before! 

The base of the left ogre is screaming for a redish desert base or a rly cold snowbase. Red for complimentary contrast, the snow one with blue and bluish black for a cold pattern model. Maybe if you give the skin some additional blues in the shadows i would prefer a cold snowy base. 😂

Thanks guys!

@MarkK the metal is painted with rhinos hide and then mixing in ulthuan grey until just pure ulthuan grey and a final higlight with white. I've been applying it roughly at first to get the rougher metal look and also adding scratches. I also think there is a glaze in there with the fang and valor brown to bring out some colors more.

I think I want to settle on a base for all the ogres, but maybe continue using it for other models as well. So it needs to complement the colors but also be neutral enough. I think I'll just have to try some options.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

@MarkK the metal is painted with rhinos hide and then mixing in ulthuan grey until just pure ulthuan grey and a final higlight with white. I've been applying it roughly at first to get the rougher metal look and also adding scratches. I also think there is a glaze in there with the fang and valor brown to bring out some colors more.

Cheers elfhead, it looks great, very realistic, don't think I would have figured it out!

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the ogres and got round to finally taking some decent photos. Painting ogres is loads of fun, because they are so large and give the opportunity to both paint lots of flesh tones and do some fun designs on the cloth. One of the ogres has a pretty funky pair of trousers. The tyrant is an amazing model and great fun top paint. I'm also pretty pleased with the Butcher. 

picture time!

zgEUSRfl.jpg

FAsCQvAl.jpg

028lxXrl.jpg

EPvmHMZl.jpg

B1784nRl.jpg

kV8F0cGl.jpg

IaEa5wrl.jpg

bmAxAlYl.jpg

V3GjP4Nl.jpg

nMCrYojl.jpg

S5Y9UUCl.jpg

BIbA54Gl.jpg

I'd love to hear your thoughts on them!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 8

Not an Ogor fan per se but your painting is really beautiful - loving the color variantion in the skintone on the last one especially with the blue/greenish tints in the shadows, those different color hues make me think of classic painting instead of minipainting. Great job! The NMM reminds me of the good old Quake3 days, the ingame skins also often had a similar palette. 

Edit: Y'know, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that painting Ogors won't turn you into a DP of Slaanesh. Unless you do very outrageous things with those minis after. 😳

Edited by MitGas

• elfhead changed the title to How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Ogre intermission)

@torsten7048 thanks! The thing with these ogres was I didn't need to paint the skin a certain way, or the cloth for that matter. There wasn't a set recipe for the skin, I could just experiment and see what it would turn out like. I also really like the idea of a big bad ogre fighter wearing a floral print:)

@MitGas thank you! painting the skin brought back some memories of painting live models in art school. skin has so many hues and colors, it is actually weird to paint them just one color. I actually hope I can etend this principle to other colors and areas of miniatures. The butcher was the last one I painted and I think the skin tones work really well with the hues of green, blue and red.

And yes, the ogre don't have anything to do with becoming a daemon prince. But the story of Thalion becoming a daemon prince is pretty much complete. he reached his goal, in a way. But I'm thinking of doing some more fluff on his city and then it'll be interesting to see what happens when the Lumineth are launched and find this city in the realm of light that is secretly ruled over by a Slaanehshi daemon prince...

• Like 1

@elfhead Thanks for recommending that I check out this thread.  Your army is amazing and very coherently realized, I am envious of your skills and attention to detail. I cannot wait to see the ways in which you twist and corrupt Teclis' force into some more of Slaanesh's followers. :)

I am working on a (loosely) Crusader inspired Chaos force that I am calling the Cardinals of Chaos, due to their red and white colouration. The theme I have developed for them is that they were devotee's of Sigmar that went on a crusade to the All Points and returned as disciples of the Dark Gods. No where near the level of skill required on my behalf, but a theme that I am enjoying working around. 

On 1/26/2020 at 5:33 PM, elfhead said:

@MitGas thank you! painting the skin brought back some memories of painting live models in art school. skin has so many hues and colors, it is actually weird to paint them just one color. I actually hope I can etend this principle to other colors and areas of miniatures. The butcher was the last one I painted and I think the skin tones work really well with the hues of green, blue and red.

Yeah, the art background shows in those mixed colors - very ambitious and cool and a seldom sight in 28-35mm mini painting Those ogors are also great models for it due to being large and showing off a lot of skin I figure. I guess you could start using filters with airbrush for some quick and easy color variation on the other parts but then again I don't think color variation is as important and striking there (except maybe for metals but then again you've already done that too).

On 1/27/2020 at 6:24 PM, Neverchosen said:

@elfhead Thanks for recommending that I check out this thread.  Your army is amazing and very coherently realized, I am envious of your skills and attention to detail. I cannot wait to see the ways in which you twist and corrupt Teclis' force into some more of Slaanesh's followers. :)

I am working on a (loosely) Crusader inspired Chaos force that I am calling the Cardinals of Chaos, due to their red and white colouration. The theme I have developed for them is that they were devotee's of Sigmar that went on a crusade to the All Points and returned as disciples of the Dark Gods. No where near the level of skill required on my behalf, but a theme that I am enjoying working around. 

I’m thinking I’ll build a small force of actual Lumineth, probably with some high elf nostalgia. But I don’t rule out the possibility of ‘corrupting’ some of them to join the Slaaneshi force.

your idea sounds like a lot of fun. I think a good narrative for your army helps you stay motivated and come up with cool conversion ideas. Doing things that you do not have the skill to do is a really good way to learn and improve. With this army I decided to try working with green stuff way more than I ever did, started painting with NMM and even learned digital 3D sculpting. So go for it! 

@MitGas When I just started art school (15 years ago😬) a big eye opener was that shading and highlights are not just darker and lighter tones d the same color, but they are different colors. In mini painting it is normal to use a darker shade and a lighter shade of a color for all shadows and highlights. But a piece of cloth isn’t just 3 shades of blues for instance, it is all kinds of different hues and shades. I think you can simplify this somewhat on 28mm scale, but it might give some great results to try and incorporate this principle some more. Food for thought... 

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just having seen the new Necromunda releases (see spoiler below) gave me an idea in conjunction with talking about traditional painting of skin tones here (which is science in its own right with all those halftones and stuff as you've alluded to, something where I unfortunately still got much to learn).... perhaps going for oil colors would really be the answer. The guy in the top left certainly makes me think that these were done with oils... and it would make introducing subtle color variation a heck of a lot easier. :)

Spoiler

acd02dfc.jpg

3 hours ago, elfhead said:

@Skreech Verminking @Mordeus thank you so much! Comments  like yours really help me stay motivated.

@MitGas When I want to add subtle hues I either mix them in the colors on my wet palette or thin the paints with water to create different shades on the model. That works pretty well for me. I've never worked with oil paints.

Well, I could imagine you'd have a blast with them. I'll definitely will try them out myself soon (when I get a bit of freetime instead of work 24/7). Either way, you've certainly inspired me big time. :)

• Like 1

Time for some elves! This unit of hoplite inspired elves has been hanging around on my workplace for a long time. Somehow I got a little fed up with painting them. There is still one more elf to be painted and two more shields. But I thought it would be a god idea to show them now, because the Lumineth are coming who also have a clear hoplite feel to them.

yJWU2NHl.jpg

The conversions are mainly based on shadow warriors, although some bodies are from the high elf chariot kit. The helmets are created by using elf helmets, axe parts and some green stuff. The shield are from the vulkite berserkers and the spears are brass rod with the blades cut off from the shadow warrior hands. 

Hope you like ' em.

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 4