How to become a daemon prince? - cult of Slaanesh in Hysh (update: Dark elf lord)

elfhead

The last couple of days have been productive, meaning I've finished 3 models:P

First up is Sigvald, really an awesome model/ I had a blast painting him and challenging myself to do the best NMM I've done so far. 

GUp02T5l.jpg 

m88P9ygm.jpg ioNIq2Em.jpg

before starting on the mounted daemonettes I've gotten from made to order, I thought it would be a good idea to get the daemonttes on foot done. That have been lying around , ready to get painted, for months. The first two are up and I'm really happy with the color scheme. They'll fit nicely with my keeper of secrets. 

gkv4rUWl.jpg bxVCBZll.jpg

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 12

Although I'm still working on the daemonettes on foot, I got distracted by the arrival of a belated christmas gift for myself. I got the Mistweaver Saih on sale from bitsandkits. The model is amazing and it makes me very curious to see what the elves will look like when they finally get some love in AoS.

I converted the model to represent Lileath (godess of dreams and fate, often associated with moon iconography) after she lost most of her power during the final stage of the end times. I swapped the mirror mask for a female head and got rid of some of the spikes.

She won't be painted right away though, I need to finish some other stuff first. I really shouldn't buy more miniatures... 

QzmYSlhm.jpg ZPJw5u0l.jpg

• Like 6

Wow my friend! 

Lileath conversion is beautiful and what a great idea!I really love what you are doing with the End Times fluff as I am one of the few who enjoyed (most of) it. I actually still hope that the mistweaver we have seen is somehow going to be related to Lileath as I also noticed most of the iconography of the goddess on the model... As Ladrielle she was the Lady of Mists and her symbol as Lileath was the crescent moon after all. And then there was that whole story about Araloth and Lileath's daughter which I still hope will get expanded in future fluff for the Aelves.

We will see but I do enjoy what you did with that model!

Sigvald is also wonderfully painted in your distinctive style, love it!

Keep on working on this great project. 

@hagen thanks! I wanted to do this conversion ever since silver tower was released. The mist and the moon iconography is begging to be used as lileath. I'm with you in hoping we will see a continuation of the storyline with lileath's haven. 

@Davariel i'm really pleased with the face, the mask bothered me too. Otherwise the model is exquisite. If this is any indication on the quality of future aelves then every elf player can be happy.

I'm going to try and paint Some more daemonettes and then I've got some dark elf stuff planned. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's about freakin' time I post some updates. I've finished Lileath and a unit of daemonettes. I haven't taken proper photos of the daemonettes but Lileath has posed for the camera. 

Looking at the pic I'm not happy with the eyes. But it has been a joy to paint her, the mistweaver model is amazing. If she is any indication for the upcoming elves we're in for a treat.

The arm is shaping up nicely and I finally feel like I'm clearing some of my backlog.

Let me know what you think, more stuff to follow shortly (I hope)

ikmAqKxl.jpg

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 11

On 14-2-2017 at 6:09 PM, Hagen said:

What's up next?

up next are daemonettes. I finally finished the unit. 

XjUU2zMl.jpg

Not completely happy with the pic. I'm still figuring out how to get pictures that are perfectly sharp and well lit, playing around with lighting and camera settings. any tip?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, elfhead said:

up next are daemonettes. I finally finished the unit. 

XjUU2zMl.jpg

Not completely happy with the pic. I'm still figuring out how to get pictures that are perfectly sharp and well lit, playing around with lighting and camera settings. any tip?

Oh my, that banner! You are improving your painting skills with every new update!

BTW, I was thinking... Did you hear about AoS28?? It's a great idea by Jake Bruticus at Ex Profundis, which aims to explore the AoS setting with a different perspective, similar to Inq28 atmosphere but with hints to the high fantasy weirdness of the new setting... The scale is small war bands max 10 minis and I think your talent and imagination would add a lot to the project (plus is a very fun interlude to any project you might be working on atm, providing some quick distraction and the opportunity to create original fluff and conversions... what's not to like!

I will post here the link to the tga blog... Have a look! I am working on a small paladin gangs inspired by the Law Gods of the old lore, and there are many great and interesting projects! I'd love to see what you can come out with.

Thanks again @Hagen. I'm very happy with the banner, might just be the smoothest banner I've ever painted.

I saw the Aos28 hashtag on instagram a couple of times. I'm very intrigued and would love to put together a warband (or two), allthough time will be an issue. I really should clear some of my backlog before getting into another project. I do love to convert and come up with backstories, so this is just perfect. Consider the seed planted... 

Racing after the deamonettes are their mounted sisters, which I got from made to order. I finished the first two of them (just need to add grass on the base). They are a lot of fun to paint. Normally mounted units take me forever, but in this case the mount and rider have the same color scheme.

9aYBUmCl.jpg

• Like 5

I've been struggling to get that pale skin look with a slight glow of purple. What is your skin base color, if I might be so bold to ask?

(So jealous :P I already did 6 test models and still can't get it the way I want and then you show me you already finished a unit :D )

@Kramer the recipe is pretty simple.

1. kislev flesh

2. wash with very watered down xereus purple (I don't use regular washes)

3. another layer of kislev flesh, except for the recesses (I like to do this while the purple wash is still slightly wet) 

4. higlight with 50/50 kislev flesh and white

5. if necesarry add some slight washes to deep recesses and a dark red watered down for areas like the hands and feet, cheeks (both face and...) elbows and knees. the red accents add realism to the skin.

6. final higlight with 50/50 mix and finally pure white

good luck!

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 1

for those of you who enjoy some fluff: I've written down the story of Thalion. I came up with the story wanting to bring something of the old world into the age of sigmar. This is what drives Thalion, to prove his worth to Slaanesh by saving a piece of the old world that gave Slaanesh so much pleasure and perhaps reach daemonhood... I had a lot of fun letting the story of Thalion coincide with the events of the End time and other pieces of lore. The ending of the story brings me into the Age of Sigmar and gives me enough space to continue building this army but also starting a new project (like AoS28)...

enjoy and please let me know what you think.

Ever since the time of Aenerion cults of pleasure have existed within elf society. Though seemingly immune to the other three gods of chaos, the dark prince Slaanesh fanned the aesthetic inclinations of the Asur, which resulted in the first formations of the cult of pleasure within Ulthuan. The influence of Slaanesh bored deep into the roots of society, pushing the selfish and artistic nature of elves to extremes. Even though the power of Slaanesh lies not within war and battle, it was the lord of pleasure who birthed the schism in society that led to what the Asur refer to as the sundering. To this day thousands of elves secretly worship the dark prince.

The cults of pleasure still thrive both within Naggaroth and Ulthuan. But where the Druchii cults focus on the sensual and sadistic elements of elven nature, the cults of Ulthuan focus more on the emotive responses to artistic, philosophic and culinary excesses. The cult of Ulthuan is considered even more secretive than the Naggarothi cults, as the excessive behavior of elves stands out more in the structured culture of the Asur. The Cult of Ulthuan is controlled by six magi, of which Thalion is considered the most influential. The power of chaos gods does not corrupt the elves like it does humans. It is unknown for elves to suffer mutation but other more beneficial effects can occur. Though easily over two centuries old, Thalion looks like a young elf merely 300 years of age. His youthful appearance combined with his deep insights and military cunning has earned him a powerful position in many a courtroom. The perfect position to grow his influence and extend his grip on Ulthuan in the name of his dark prince

During the events known to elves as the Rhana Dandra, Thalion unfolded his last and risky scheme.  In his dreams Thalion had seen Slaanesh was conflicted over the unmaking of the world. The dark prince had dined well on its many pleasures and feared that such joys would be lost if the mortal realm ceased to be. Thalion realised the greatest gift he could bestow on his deity was not to lend his power to destroy the world but save a part of it’s splendor. Using his political influence, Thalion enjoyed creating confusion and conflict amongst the armies of Ulthuan. Using the distraction of the war following Malekith’s arrival on the elven continent Thalion raided many cities and palaces, gathering the greatest collection of works of art known to elven culture. Amongst the treasures gathered were the crystals from the flying city of Saphetiton, the former capitol of Saphery that had been destroyed during the creation of the vortex.

Thalion knew his actions would attract the attention of the sword masters of Hoeth, agents of the white tower burdened with seeking out followers to the cult of luxury. Hosting a grandiose 66 course dinner at his mansion for his fellow magi and their most trusted followers, Thalion plotted to overtake leadership over every tendril of the cult of pleasure in Ulthuan. After days of revelling in the joys of the best foods and wines in Ulthuan Thalion’s rival magi were tired an sluggish. When a group of swordmasters attacked the mansion they were easily defeated and killed by the agents of the white tower. Only Thalion who had retained himself from eating and drinking to much, survived the attack. The Silver tongued prince convinced Bel-Taror, the loremaster leading the attack, his pursuit of martial prowess and magical knowledge was an aspect of worship to Slaanesh. The confused loremaster turned on his brothers and joined the cult he had so long tried to destroy.

In a final gamble Thalion gathered all the forces now at his disposal. An army of Slaanesh worshipping Druchii joining his grand army. Thalion burdened Bel-Taror and his most trusted general, Eurenil, with the command over the army, ordering them to march on the white tower.  The tower of Hoeth had remained neutral in the civil war raging on Ulthuan so far. The attack by Thalion’s followers forced the Loremasters to defend the tower in direct combat for the first time, drawing out warriors from all of Saphery to aid in the defence. Thalion had no interest in joining the battle, which he knew could not be won, but instead directed his attentions to the Jade palace. The palace, once the residence of Phoenix king Aethis the Poet, was now all but abandoned. It’s garrison aiding in the defence of the white tower. Thalion deemed it only fitting his collection of art would be stored in the palace that was once considered the central point in the high water mark of elven society.

As the war in Ulthuan reached it’s zenith the high loremaster Teclis unbound the Vortex, foolishly seeking to anchor each wind into a champion of his choosing. As Teclis drew the power of Hysh into his staff the vortex finaly collapsed. The creation of the vortex had robbed the crystals of Saphetiton of it’s power and now it’s collapse brought them back to life. It was the final piece in Thalion’s scheme. As tremors started to tear Ulthuan apart, Thalion sought to use the crystals to force the Jade palace into flight. Thalion and his coven of seers and mages had however underestimated the powers they now struggled to control. Soon the first of his mages collapsed, consumed by the magical forces of the crystals. Still Thalion pushed on, knowing that failure would mean every piece of art he had sought out would be lost beneath the waves that were now crashing down on Ulthuan.

Magical fire scorched Thalion’s skin, golden armor melted and bones broke as the prince felt his body being torn apart. Finally the crystals burst to life, magical light shining from within the multifaceted stones. The jade palace broke apart from the ground and slowly hovered towards the sky. A being of golden light stood where Thalion had been. Long white robes enveloped his naked form of perfect proportions. Knowing his purpose had been fulfilled, the daemon steered the palace towards the stars.

in the Age of Sigmar…

In the realm of light, a palace of jade sits on top of a mountain. Surrounding the palace a sprawling city covers the slopes. Artists, poets and artisans from every realm are drawn to the city, where their craft is held in the highest regards. The city is controlled by the Oneiroi, followers of the golden demi-god by the name of Morh’ euz, giver of dreams, who holds his court in the palace of jade. It is said that even a mediocre artist will rise to great heights if they only venerate the divine lord of the jade palace.

Edited by elfhead
  • Like 3

Wonderful piece of fluff you wrote my friend, I finally know who is the elf behind Thalion's legend! As I told you many times, I've been following this project with a lot of interest since its inception, and I am glad to see that the background that drives your efforts is so interesting and different. Chaos is always about destruction, but why must it be the case? I enjoyed what you did with Talion's story, he actually used deception, corruption and treachery (all trademark of chaos, and Slaanesh in particular) to fulfil the task of saving the great work of arts that so pleased his dark master, while the rest of Ulthuan was only concerned with war and murder he turned their anger against them to actually save their grandest achievements! A real chaotic masterpiece of paradox and heroism, I should say that Thalion is one of the greatest heroes of Ulthuan's history, unlike Tyrion and Teclis who proved to be their people greatest nemesis.

Fast forward to the Age of Sigmar and we have a demon prince worshipped by artists and poets, a chaos demigod of the arts and creativity instead of a brainless destroyer. A great and original character who takes his place alongside Kaleb Daark and Lord Mortkin as one of those chaos heroes whom actually seem to be the only ones working for the right cause.

Hagen

Edited by Hagen

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted. last time I posted the entire backstory for Thalion and his cult. @Hagen, thanks for the reply, I think you really get what I tried to do with this story. In a way you inspired me to go in this direction when I first proposed the idea for Thalion and his quest for damenonhood. I think Slaanesh would be proud of Thalin. But now he/she isn't around to enjoy all the beautifull things Thalion brought from the world that was...

I added one of my favorite units to the army, thanks to 'made to order' I finally own a unit of six mounted daemonettes. Painting them was really fun and pretty quick for a cavalry unit. The mount and the daemonettes share their color scheme, so that really helped. I think the unit looks really cool, they really are full of movement.

l5OojlCl.jpg jFw1BHnl.jpg sC6UMosl.jpg lqQJRfil.jpg q6wY0OCl.jpg h8VAU5tl.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

This army of Slaaneshi cultist is shaping up nicely. I'm trying to finish the things I have lying around, so that I can expand it when Slaanesh or elves get an update. But there is always a new project lurking around to take up my time... Like an AoS28 warband.

I got asked to do a guest article on a blog, which has helped me set a goal to finish certain units. I'm currently working on the Lord of Slaanesh on daemonic mount. 

The army currently is a combination of high elves (just thalion and his elven prince bodyguard), Slaaneshi daemons and Dark elves. I think I haven't shown much of the dark elves, so here they are. The dark elves join Thalion during the End times and are led by a male sorcerer. The Cold one knights are based on the most recent kit. I wanted them to look as if they have been on the road for a long time. Tropies are hanging on the reins and luggage tucked behind their saddles and repeater crossbows hanging to the side. I also added small banners to every lance to give them even more movement. 

vKcbwlEl.jpg MBFtNh2l.jpg

4n41d2Pl.jpg

imywq1vl.jpg

n81WawMl.jpg

I'd love to hear what you think of these.

• Like 10

Argh! How did I miss all this??

Great work on the demonettes, colours seem to shift and change on their destriers in a very chaotic way! I cannot quite tell if they are pale or dark, coloured or muted... Very effective paint job!

The DE are phenomenal as well, they must be some of my favourite models by GW and you certainly did them justice (I also find interesting how your sorcerer seems like a dark version of one of the minis I worked on lately for AoS28, lots of similarities!). 

The slaanesh lord will become one of the best versions of that amazing model ever to grace the internet, it's just so regal and glorious and you are really mastering NMM and at the same developing a quite unique way of using the technique... I would be intrigued to know how you lay your paints as I cannot quite tell whether you use lots of glazes or you have another method...

Finally, as someone who experimented with marble quite a lot lately, I can tell you that the one on your base is just spot on! What technique did you use on it?

Hagen

• Like 1