What big event in the lore would you like to see next?

Enoby

With Moonclan Grots coming next, and I’m assuming then Slaanesh and then Darkoath, that’s a whole lots of evil forces. After this in the narrative I can see the forces of Order suffering. This would then be a great time to get Order sorted out, and get rid of/clean up the many factions in Order. Of course I really want a Dispossessed Battletome. Please GW. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

With Moonclan Grots coming next, and I’m assuming then Skansen and then Darkoath, that’s a whole lots of evil forces. After this in the narrative I can see the forces of Order suffering. This would then be a great time to get Order sorted out, and get rid of/clean up the many factions in Order. Of course I really want a Dispossessed Battletome. Please GW. 

Dispossessed battletome is what I desperately want also. The models look great and the new rules they were given fit the fluff perfectly. 

12 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

I know death has had a lot of attention over the last year, so I don't expect them to get a lot of love, but I would love to see a narrative where some other faction or figure breaks Nagash's stranglehold on the Death faction.  Whether it's the FEC with a returned Carrion King or someone/something else  entirely, the monolithic nature of Death needs broken up some.  Plus, the aftermath of the necroquake provides a perfect opportunity for this. With Nagash's power disrupted let some other force make a play for the throne of the dead.

Rather than breaking Nagash's hold over everything unliving, I'd like to see more and more of his attention needing to be given to controlling/containing the effects of the Shyish-Nadir.  That would let more "independent" sub-factions  be created.  I think Nagash's hold is one thing that really cements that the Death Grand Alliance is different from the other three.

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Rather than breaking Nagash's hold over everything unliving, I'd like to see more and more of his attention needing to be given to controlling/containing the effects of the Shyish-Nadir.  That would let more "independent" sub-factions  be created.  I think Nagash's hold is one thing that really cements that the Death Grand Alliance is different from the other three.

I agree that Nagash's control of Death makes it distinct from the other factions but I am not sure that is a good thing.  I think that Death's monolithic nature does score some metaphorical fluff points (I mean the idea of Death as a cold, universal, unifying force does hit some good thematic notes), but ultimately I just think it makes for somewhat uninteresting narrative development. Death's basic narrative is locked in the cycle of Nagash's endless plan for total domination of the living, with its formulaic sequence of plot, put plan into action and be foiled again (usually by the Skaven). I just think that the narrative could be better served by focusing  on other characters with more varied motivations.  I mean we have some other great characters that ooze personality.  Neferata is awesome and has a style and depth that I would love to see more explored. Even Manfred has some depth with his outward facade of strength, built around an inner core of cowardice. 

I don't mean to come off as negative, I love Death it is my favorite faction. I just think we have fallen into a little bit of a narrative rut and need to think of ways to liven it up a bit. :)      

@TheWilddog have you read the 'Soul Wars' novel? I think JR managed to get across the idea that whilst all the undead are bound to Nagash, and many are just automatons enacting his will, more powerful beings in his employ still have quite distinct personalities, ambitions and motivations. And certainly once you get up to the level of the Mortarchs, things get even fuzzier. Obviously Nagash could bring any of them to heel easily enough but they're not just puppets under his constant watchful gaze.

I think one thing that comes across is that more than any other god tier being, Nagash seems to be much more multi-faceted and in a way, as his power grows, fragmented. Obviously he's presented as having different aspects, of which the army crushing skeleton pope is just one and several others are shown to be, in their way, kind or compassionate.

But also I get the feeling that as his dominion over DEATH grows, his focus can't be everywhere and indeed there are contradictory, or sublimated, aspects to his personality that perhaps manifest, consciously or not, in the behaviour of his underlings. I think handled well that's actually quite interesting and could lead to some good stories.

I think  another issue with the lore and advancing it (and not just for Death here) is that the primary lens through which everything in this game gets focused through at the moment is the main War-Game, and if the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to treat everything as if it were a nail. So lots of things still come down to big battles and the main drivers for 'the lore' are the results of big battles.

Personally I think a lot of the more interesting developments and elements of the game over the years have tended to come through side-games and certainly things like WFRP where the designers and writers can focus on the wider world away from the battlefield. I feel that gods like Slaanesh and Tzeentch are much more interesting, and effective, as antagonists corrupting society from within  and same goes for someone like Neferata.

The past couple of weeks I've actually been messing around with an idea for a board game that harks back to the old GW classic, 'Fury of Dracula' but with one of Neferata's vampires sent into the free cities to corrupt the nobility, army, merchant caste etc and a team of witch hunter types trying to root out the corruption and  stake them before it's too late.

4 hours ago, JPjr said:

@TheWilddog have you read the 'Soul Wars' novel? I think JR managed to get across the idea that whilst all the undead are bound to Nagash, and many are just automatons enacting his will, more powerful beings in his employ still have quite distinct personalities, ambitions and motivations. And certainly once you get up to the level of the Mortarchs, things get even fuzzier. Obviously Nagash could bring any of them to heel easily enough but they're not just puppets under his constant watchful gaze.

I did read it, and enjoyed it.  Yes you are right that it does show some nuance among the Death lieutenants of Nagash and that is great.  However, I would argue that it falls in line with the same storyline that has always followed Death, even back to the End Times narrative; all the Death lieutenants (except Arkhan) bristling and scheming under Nagash's dominance, trying some ruse to gain some small amount of independence and ultimately being brought inline to start the cycle again.  I want to see some actual change.  I want to see Neferata or the Carrion King (I love my FEC) finally break free and start something new outside Nagash's sphere of influence.  Finally give him a real threat to dominance over Death, instead of same reoccurring narrative that sees him eventually bringing opposition to heel.  I think it would just add sooo much more narrative space. 

Think about the situation in Order. You have Sigmar of course, but then you have Malerion and Morathi scheming and using him for their own ends. You have Alarielle, allied but aloof. The Seraphon isolated and still seemingly dedicated to the great design of a lost world. Teclis and Tyrion in the shadows up to who knows what.  The Fireslayers and KO in the middle playing all sides following their own agendas.  

Chaos has the great game between the Gods with differing visions on what the world should be and a conflict to bring those versions of reality into existence. 

Destruction is also a bit monolithic and hopefully that gets addressed soon. 

I just think Death needs some new narrative direction and the adherence to Nagash's dominance hinders that in my mind. I love the old bag of bones but Death needs some new life in it!!!!!!  

I think that if Dispossessed did get an update, it should be tied with in with Grungni. Right now you have Fyreslayers who follow Grimnir and Overlords who don't really follow either god. Create a lore event in which Grungni decides to no longer abandon his children and instead begins a crusade to regain their lost holds. You could release a Grungni model similar to Morathi and Alarielle. It could be a gigantic Anvil of Doom with Grungni working it. 

8 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

I think that if Dispossessed did get an update, it should be tied with in with Grungni. Right now you have Fyreslayers who follow Grimnir and Overlords who don't really follow either god. Create a lore event in which Grungni decides to no longer abandon his children and instead begins a crusade to regain their lost holds. You could release a Grungni model similar to Morathi and Alarielle. It could be a gigantic Anvil of Doom with Grungni working it. 

Not sure if you've read any of the Eight Lamentation stories?  Grungni features quite heavily and send groups of hand-picked individuals off on quests.  My interpretation is that he sees himself in protector roll to many of the races within Order, the loss of Grimnir changed who he was.

I've read some of the AoS books and novels, but not all.  So some of these things could already be in there. Still, here is what I would like to see...

1. Seraphon: I would like to see Seraphon have a big event on the scale of Soul Wars. I want Seraphon to have their moment to shine. To have it all revolve around them. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Lizardmen have ever been at the center of any game-wide lore event, even in WFB. I really want them to be fleshed out and discussed more in-depth.

From what I understand Seraphon (or at least the Slanns) are pretty much the most bad ass powerful beings ever and their god is the OG god and is the most powerful. I'd love to see new Seraphon units as well and perpetual spells, dice, and terrain. More Seraphon centric books would be great too. From what I've gathered through talking with my local GW employees and various online forums Seraphon/Lizardmen have always been one of the best selling armies in Fantasy and AoS. It's so weird to me they don't seem to get any love because they're pretty unique, just like Skaven.

2. Old World Armies: I would like to see the Aelves, Free Peoples, and Dispossessed come into their own in lore, become more established somehow, and get battletomes. I know AoS is all about Mythic battles between gods and super-human units, but I still think those units can find a place.  Crazy idea: I would actually love to see some form of Bretonnians return. I have faith that GW could make it work some how.  Maybe the're an old ancient people who only exist inside Azyre, which is why we haven't seen them. Maybe Azyre could get invaded and the Bretonnians are found at heart of the realm and have to defend it. Idk. I'm just spitballing. lol

3. Skaven: I would like to see the Skaven come together in some event to buck Chaos.  That could be simply the Great Horned Rat becoming equal to the other Chaos gods or leaving Chaos altogether to create a fifth Grand Alliance in the vein of Destruction. It's a crazy idea, I know, but I think there is enough diversity in Skaven clans to do it. Either way I want Skaven to have a complete battletome like LoN.

From what I've read Skaven are the ****** step-children of Chaos. The GHR isn't really equal to the other Chaos gods. Skaven don't even have a stronghold in the Realm of Chaos, they live in the outskirts of the realm. I'm not even sure if Blightcity is in the Realm of Chaos or even exists anymore. Skaven, like Seraphon, seem to be an extremely popular army. They're iconic and unique to Warhammer/AoS. They're in almost every Warhammer fantasy video game GW creates. I don't know why they don't get any love from GW in terms of miniatures. They didn't get an update in 8th edition. Their models are unchanged since 6th or 7th edition Fantasy. They're one of, if not the worst, in terms of competitiveness in AoS. They got love in the End Times, but that was just a new model and the world was ending anyways. lol

4. Realms: I've heard the realms really get fleshed out in AoSII, which is what I was hoping for. This is kind of off topic, but I would love to see GW come out with 6'x4' realm specific battle mats and terrain for every realm. Every realm should have its own battle mat and unique terrain pieces. Although, I know that could get super expensive from a consumer standpoint trying to keep up with it all. I still think it would be incredible. I love the different realm specific spells. Making the realms you're fighting on an important part of each battle gives AoS so much character.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:27 AM, JPjr said:

On the subject of interesting but not world altering stories they could move onto I still think some kind of Duardin vs. Grot vs. Skaven three way royal rumble would be great to do around the launch of the Moonclan battle tome. Some kind of campaign to retake, or at least explore and bring back some runic macguffin from, an ancient, abandoned and now overrun Duardin mountain hold.

Shines a light on 3 thematically linked but often secondary to the main story factions, could have some serious consequences for those involved without being a universe changing event and would be a great opportunity to devise a narrative campaign that really made the most of both the new aerial and underground battle rules they put into the new core book.

I was thinking something similar. Moonclan are going to need someone to rub up against and to give them more flavour, and a war between a Stormhost and Goblins just isn't going to feel plausible.

I'm almost positive that whatever the next event is it's not going to be Slaanesh or the Ulgu Aelves thought. Way too early. They're going to keep their powder dry with those for a long time.

I think that we do not need another major event for a while. I would like to Realm of Shadows to be explored more, particularly with regards to Clan Eshin and Malekith. 

I would also like to see some of the hints dropped in realm slayer picked up. 

As for the Moonclan,  it would be a perfect time to revisit the fyreslayers and the Kharadron as suitable rivals

I want to see at least a year of exploring the setting as it is before we jump the story forward again. 

15 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I want to see at least a year of exploring the setting as it is before we jump the story forward again. 

Agree 100%. They just did the Necroquake, they should take some time to explore it. Progression is great but really major stuff should be global campaign or new edition only, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Nos said:

I was thinking something similar. Moonclan are going to need someone to rub up against and to give them more flavour, and a war between a Stormhost and Goblins just isn't going to feel plausible.

I'm almost positive that whatever the next event is it's not going to be Slaanesh or the Ulgu Aelves thought. Way too early. They're going to keep their powder dry with those for a long time.

Yeah I have a feeling that some old Git may take the spotlight for a while.

(what was his name again Skarnok, Skirnik, Skarsnik🤔)

Just two things: first, next big event will not be epoch altering. We are just entering the souls wars. It has advanced next to nothing. There is only the introduction novel. And its purpose is nothing more to introduce characters and stakes to it. Big big change will not come for 4-5 years.

Second: given the nature of the business, there will be constant small big events linked to new releases. Moonclan and darkoath playing some important part in the very near future is a given. And bear in mind that there are four big players in war for souls: Nagash, Sigmar, chaos gods (I suspect darkoath will play into how the chaos gods acquire souls through self damnation) and the elven gods. I expect the latter to be introduced as major players in the next couple of years. No Slaanesh breaking captivity yet, just adding them to the souls wars through their war against death and the seekers.

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

Second: given the nature of the business, there will be constant small big events linked to new releases. Moonclan and darkoath playing some important part in the very near future is a given. And bear in mind that there are four big players in war for souls: Nagash, Sigmar, chaos gods (I suspect darkoath will play into how the chaos gods acquire souls through self damnation) and the elven gods. I expect the latter to be introduced as major players in the next couple of years. No Slaanesh breaking captivity yet, just adding them to the souls wars through their war against death and the seekers.

Don’t forget “the horned rat”

it is only to his cunningly mastered plan that you all still live.

and soon you all we die-perish as slave-things.

Yes-yes city burrows will be mine-Mine

I'd like to see a true chaos empire. Not one that was overrun and its desicated remains corrupted by chaos, but a true, functioning empire they have built from the ground in twisted glory to the gods that rivals the free cities.

Then I'd like to watch from the chaos perspective as a force, be it order, destruction or death (or a combination of all three) invades it like a bull in a china shop. So you have a bunch of different chaos champions aligned with different gods, with their own ambitions, fighting the external enemy (or enemies) who are themselves infighting against their other allies of convenience, politically and violently fighting their internal chaos rivals all the while trying to control their hard fought creation all in the twisted vision of the god's path to glory.

It was something that the Realmgate Wars had the potential to show, but didn't. And it woiuld be great to see if orchestrated well.

1 hour ago, Malios said:

I'd like to see a true chaos empire. Not one that was overrun and its desicated remains corrupted by chaos, but a true, functioning empire they have built from the ground in twisted glory to the gods that rivals the free cities.

And this is the point where we see the superiority of the skaven race over every other chaos faction.

”We have a whole underempire, which can rival not only the free cities but also the whole world.”

Archived