What big event in the lore would you like to see next?

Enoby

1 hour ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

I don’t want to see Slaanesh back at all, I think it’s much more original, interesting and compelling to have a “lost” god that his/her followers are constantly questing to find

Hmmm, I'm unsure how I feel about that. I agree that it is original to have a trapped Chaos god, but if they never do anything with it then the lore stagnates - it becomes like the Emperor on the Throne, where even though it's pivotal to many areas of the plot, it's kind of boring as nothing changes with it. I'd like it if there was a way for a faction to truly succeed at something, instead of it being perpetually "they're getting closer and the bonds are getting weaker, but things keep stopping them" forever. 

As has been said elsewhere, if you show a gun in act 1 then you'd best shoot it by act 4. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I'd like it if there was a way for a faction to truly succeed at something

erm, you want The End Times, because that's how you get End Times...

I do agree though in the need to keep developing the story over time, that does just leave the problem though how do you achieve that, in meaningful ways, whilst still catering to people's needs that their armies and models never (or at least for a long time) be made redundant and not just blowing the whole thing up repeatedly.

In a way, especially with a more dynamic timeline, playable named characters are the ones that become a pain to deal with. Especially with AoS where the timeline, at least in actual years, seems top progress at quite a clip.

I think between WHFB 3rd edition and The End Times only 20 years passed in the actual in-game universe, whereas as far as I can work out in AoS we've already advanced several decades if not a century or more since 2015. 

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHH!!!!!!

We need a year of Destruction! I wanna see many great WAAAGH!s rise up and smash Death's pretty plans, kick Chaos (particularly Khorn) in the nads, and give Order the worst purple-nerpel ever (maybe sack one of the major new cities). Then maybe form up into the greatest of WAAAGH!s and invade the realm of Chaos or whatever plane of existence the Skaven are hiding in.

The rats could use more of a place in the narrative as well. A side campaign between the Moonclan and Skaven would be great. It could also be an opportunity to update the rats a bit as they focus on Destruction. Clan Eshin could really use some love. They could do a side release like they did with the newest chamber of stormboys and Nighthaunt. 

Very similar to a few comments on here.  Would love random events kicking off from the Necroquake/Malign Sorcery and then some kind of destruction focused event.  I can't see us getting a big campaign next year (GW alternate 40k & AoS), but a few little bits would be ace.  Also miss the Malign Portent regular stories - they were brilliant!

If Slaanesh/Malerion isn't the next big narrative development, I'd love to see a big, multi-Realm, Skaven incursion.

Skaven Gnaw-holes showing up in all the different Realms- maybe tie it in to the books when Skaven get the rest of their Battletomes. I could imagine Moulder stuff based in Ghur, Skryer stuff based in Chamon, all being really awesome.

Like... all the Realms start having rat problems at the same time, but the Skaven aren't after any one thing in particular; they've just built up their numbers and are finally extending their tunnels and gnaw-holes to all corners of the Realms. 

9 hours ago, JPjr said:

there's 2 characters in the Soul Wars novel who are, essentially, a zombie queen and Deathrattle king who would make good additions if you wanted to develop the, I presume, ongoing story of Shyish's war against beleaguered and besieged Azyrite colonies.

Not sure how often have characters originated in the novels made it to the actual game (rather than vice versa) though.

Are there more informations on the zombie queen? I thought the dead walkers were the lowest kind of undeath, not much more than slumbering hordes. 

The Wight Kings were mentioned somewhere else. I think there little skeleton kingdoms could be a great backdrop for a eventual death rattle battletome.

18 hours ago, Kronos said:

I’ve mentioned it before but Id like to see the story of the Great Kurgan and the four sons complete. Not sure if tamurkhan would need rewriting to come in line with lore, or be a figure that exsisted in the old world brought back. The new khorne fella on the dragon would then follow, followed by tzeentch, and finally the Kurgan son of Slaanesh to tie in, somehow with Slaaneshes release, or finding. 

If not the whole Kurgan and sons story could date during the Age of Chaos leading to the downfall of all the realms. Age of Heresy style. nice leather books, a few models with respective centrepieces for the gods, with two already done. And then lead them in into the current age as the pillars of Chaos that need to be brought down to defeat Chaos, or at least push it back. 

Could explore the realms in great Detail through those books, like Tamurkhan did, this time looking at Nurgle in Ghyran and the Pestigor followers that were marshalled from Ghur, battles with greenskins, followed by battles with Sylvaneth, the greenest of green books. Khorne in Aqysh also looking at Azyr for the first hosts of Stormcast that attacked, Tzeentch in  Chamon facing off Duardin, also looking into Hysh, and how the forces of the dead fought off Tzeentch, maybe some of Nagash’s plans of Tzeentch’s, just as planned. and Slaanesh in Ulgu, but also with Hysh as hes somewhere in the middle and would link in with elves nicley. Lets call the series Arcana Chaotica, I look foward to seeing this FW and GW.... 

"Tamurkhan, Throne of Chaos" is still my favorite FW book. Setting the story of these four champions in the age of chaos would be perfect. Enough freedom to explore the mortal realms and distant enough that it won't interfere with the current storyline. 

7 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Some afterquake setting free the lost bretonnians and abhorash somewhere in ulgu

This would be an absolute dream come true for me. Nagash hiring Rentokil to solve his never ending rat problem would be good; The great extermination.

7 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Are there more informations on the zombie queen? I thought the dead walkers were the lowest kind of undeath, not much more than slumbering hordes. 

The Wight Kings were mentioned somewhere else. I think there little skeleton kingdoms could be a great backdrop for a eventual death rattle battletome.

She's called Crelis Arul, and the Deathrattle lord is Prince Yaros. Some nice creepy parts where she peels back her flesh to reveal runes and sigils carved into her bones.

In the grand scheme of the story they have don't feature much but when they do they actually had a lot more character than I was expecting. In fact I was actually, pleasantly, surprised by all the undead in the book who had speaking parts, whilst they're all in a way automatons they're not totally empty vessels.  

To me the story and the effect off the necro quake is not finished, i feel like we need to have some stories  regarding or as an effect off this big event.  What i mean is that the 7 mortal relms are not ready for a new big event like how AoS 2 (death rising and crazy magic) was a big change from Realmgate Wars. They should lay a bit low when it comes to a big event and rather have some factions (old and new) get a book and maby some modells. One off you guys wrote that you would like boks like the relmgate books, which i totaly angre with. Stay with the Soul them and maby some more crazy magic stuff like a new planet or azyr gates getting some weakness? 

They could make a humie(freefolk) book and some models so that we could see som rising civs. Then you would have a good excuse for order 13? Skaven can erupt into Azyr cause off damaged shield or whatever i protecting is protecting Azyr from gnawholes, followed by them somhow opening a realmgate in a skaven ish way.  That is two books people want, i think.

You could also include a bigger release off the «Dark Oath» aka Caos undivided, that is more humies and a cool concept. The Dark Oath guys could try to invade Azyr as an effect off the skaven opening a (or a few) gealmgate(s), they want some living space to do their killing and religius stuff and Azyr is this huge untutched land probably full off prists and stuff like that. It could take inspiration from the Vikings rading England(mostely churches and monestaries cause bad protection and huge wealth in gold),  but instead «Caos undivided barbarians» rading Azyr and Sigmarite-tempels. AND THEN THE NEW CHAMBER OF REMOVING BARBARians... Jokes aside, i think that something like this would be cool.

Anyways we need some destruction first. Moonclan is a good start, maby one more destruction release like the firebelly suneater idea one off our fellow AoS lovers made some cool stuff to. Aelvs vs slandshi will happen in the future, but we need to be patient, i don’t won’t them to rush some slanesh stuff now. Make the slanesh related story big! 

Thanks for reading my long post got a little to exited?

23 hours ago, Enoby said:

Hmmm, I'm unsure how I feel about that. I agree that it is original to have a trapped Chaos god, but if they never do anything with it then the lore stagnates - it becomes like the Emperor on the Throne, where even though it's pivotal to many areas of the plot, it's kind of boring as nothing changes with it. I'd like it if there was a way for a faction to truly succeed at something, instead of it being perpetually "they're getting closer and the bonds are getting weaker, but things keep stopping them" forever. 

As has been said elsewhere, if you show a gun in act 1 then you'd best shoot it by act 4. 

It all depends on how it’s handled, that exact plotline works for Cthulhu. I’d be perfectly happy with definitive progress but, for a while at least, I think Slaanesh should stay imprisoned.

For me, I would like to see something more for Destruction (which we are obviously getting with the Moonclan book at some point soon) as well as something for Skaven (Book called the Chittering Hordes and has all the Skaven Clans in it). However, I would love to see something on the back of the events from the Malign Portents and Necroquake, where we get to see a certain King from the World that Was decide to sort out this usurper Nagash....

Image result for tomb kings settra

• Gaz Taylor featured and unfeatured this topic

If they treat the freeing of slaanesh in the same way as the malign portents it should be a winner all round.

i loved the short stories, the community discussing what it could all mean- it was just brilliant, so much engagement, creativity and a brilliant way of fleshing out the realms.

as a formula i loved it and i hope they use it more and more.

I'd like to see a shift to Moonclan vs Skaven, where the subterranean and other dark places of the realms get exposed. Allow the Skaven's ability to tunnel between realms let us explore these places. Introduce other cool cultures along the way: humans civilizations that fled underground to flee chaos, the dead of those civilizations and ghoul kings, Fyreslayers and Dispossessed, Wanderers, and then the chaos warlords that have been hunting them all.

Okay, humor me for a minute (or if you are British, humour):

What if the next story event involves Destruction doing something akin to the End of the Realms that Nagash tried to pull?

Maybe the Moonclan decide to embrace the moon a la Majora’s Mask and pull it into the Nine Realms. The stupid absurdity that can only be answered with “Where in the nine ****** is a moon in the nine realms?”

Its stopped again by the rats, who are now introduced to the setting as a different menace to the Realms. Slaanesh comes next of course, but the Horned Rat is sly indeed.

2 hours ago, Umjammerlama said:

I would love to see the rise of Thanquol. 

Well gotrek is back as is thank hole.

can we have wulfric back ferrying darkoath across the realms in seafang, -which lets face it is a realm gate.

i think any character that got a model in end times, like tank hole and glotkin will be back in aos.

@Gaz Taylor i cant help but feel that setra was given the ending he had for a reason. He could have just been killed off in end times but that plot twist was an intentional open end in my mind.   Lets face it, they were closing characters and plotlines left right and centre, so that one seems just too left of field to not be followed up at some point.

Id like to see them flesh out the dangling plot threads for Chaos. Archaon hasnt been seen since the All Gates War which i get the impression was a couple of centuries ago. The Tzeentch and Kharadron releases teased some master plan nearing fruition which never materialised. Blightwar and the Nurgle release showed Nurgle widening his attentions from just Ghyran, but again not much seems to have come from this.

Im not really bothered about the return of Slaanesh, or the skaven rising up, as these are unlikely to be more than fluff in their army books, if the other Chaos factions are any indication (oh all the Beasts are heading to the Black Pyramid to turn it into a mega herdstone are they, ill be surprised if this is mentioned again!)

A Mega Waaagh could work as it would involve an entire Grand Alliance rather than just individual factions, and I think GW did a great job doing this for Death with Malign Portents and Soul Wars - could have done with a campaign book or two though.

And thats what id like to see, regular campaign books focusing on two or three key events with realmwide consequences, featuring a range of factions which changes from book to book. This would fit with GWs unpredictable release schedule and add some real meat to the background i reckon.

I know death has had a lot of attention over the last year, so I don't expect them to get a lot of love, but I would love to see a narrative where some other faction or figure breaks Nagash's stranglehold on the Death faction.  Whether it's the FEC with a returned Carrion King or someone/something else  entirely, the monolithic nature of Death needs broken up some.  Plus, the aftermath of the necroquake provides a perfect opportunity for this. With Nagash's power disrupted let some other force make a play for the throne of the dead.

Archived